Author Topic: Spinning bearings?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Hannibal Smith

• 3rd Grade Dropout
  • Hot Shot
Spinning bearings?
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
Unless I have been sniffing glue, my bearing bores (transmission) in my cases are highly polished, and look like I am having bearing spinning issues.

Bearing fit isn't loose or wobbly, but they do push in/out with minimal pressure. My primary bearings (ones just aft of the crank) came out with just a little kiss from the puller, just a little too easy.......................no slop, but the case bore is like a mirror finish.

Any tried and true SOHC methods out there? I am thinking of degreasing with acetone and getting some bonding going on with Loctite wicking grade.
Follow my build "P38 Racer" in Project section

Offline kenolds

• Before the Dismantle
Re: Spinning bearings?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54:07 pm »
I cannot speak to the worth of this idea except to warn of a somewhat similar experience I had...  I was rebuilding (replacing the bearings and synchros) in my car's manual transmission.  I thought the same thing - these bearings are not really pressed in there.  What is to keep the outer races from just spinning in the bores?  So, I decided to us some loctite bearing retainer.  This is not the green wicking stuff.  This is some thick gray goop that is designed to retain bearings in damaged bores.  Well, if you've ever put together an Acura transmission you know it is a real pain.  If you have ever tried with the bearings trying to glue themselves in place before they are fully inserted - you know it is a complete nighmare.  After about 5 tries, I gave up and left out the retaining compound.  It has worked flawlessly.  - Now about your question... I would say go ahead and use it - ON ONE HALF ONLY - or it'll be a real bear the next time you split your cases.  But, as you said - let's wait to hear from someone who has tried it. I have also heard of people using a punch to make small dimples in the surface of the bearing bore in order to better retain the outer race.  Seems a little too crude for my taste.

Kenolds

Parts, Parts, Everywhere - But Not A Bike To Ride.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »
'Polished' bearing bores seems quite normal in my experience.
 Loctite just one half (top or bottom, doesn't seem to matter)
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Hannibal Smith

• 3rd Grade Dropout
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:36:19 pm »
Thanks- Will do that-
Follow my build "P38 Racer" in Project section