Author Topic: Has anyone bought paint from www.paintforcars.com?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Holubs

• Enthusiast
Has anyone bought paint from www.paintforcars.com?
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »
Has anyone bought acrylic urethane paint from the www.paintforcars.com website? 

Their prices look really good, even though it looks like they only sell their paint kits by the gallon, which a way more than I need for a couple of 750F1 tanks and tail housings.

I am just finishing a primering/painting class at my local community college, my teacher recommended using acrylic urethane base coat and clear coat for my bikes.  My new photo is of my class project, a 24" x 24" metal plate that I masked with contact paper to make the Honda logo.

Thanks,
Holubs
Toys:
2 - 1976 CB750F1 - someday projects
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Coupe
1973 Mustang Convertible - Restoration needed

Whatever happened to the old songs, like The Duke of Earl?  Whatever happened to The fu*kin' Duke of Earl? - Randy Newman

91greg325i

Re: Has anyone bought paint from www.paintforcars.com?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:34:41 pm »
I bought from them, and I was happy with the results I got (note it has only been a few months, but everything seems fine). I'm going to assume you already know this, but I'll say it anyways, paint is only as good as the prep, I spent probably 20x the amount of time prepping than painting. Literally. Anyways, I'm sure you already know that, so with the proper tools and prep work, that paint is great.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:03 am »
I am just finishing a primering/painting class at my local community college, my teacher recommended using acrylic urethane base coat and clear coat for my bikes.  My new photo is of my class project, a 24" x 24" metal plate that I masked with contact paper to make the Honda logo.

Personally i only use 2 pack paints for tanks and definitely a 2 pack clear, petrol spills on the tank can make a mess of some acrylic paints..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Holubs

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:43:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I do plan to use the two part base coat and clear coat on my tanks for the fuel spillage protection.  I have spent a lot of prep time on my original tank, had a lot of dents in it.  I have a F1 parts bike that I just got the cracked tank seam welded up on.  I will also be painting that tank and tail housing so I will get more practice.

The website doesn't have the original Honda colors, but I'm not going for a 100% original restoration so it won't matter.  Looking at their Silver Metalic with black gas fill door and maybe a black stripe down the middle of the tank and tail.

Holubs

Toys:
2 - 1976 CB750F1 - someday projects
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Coupe
1973 Mustang Convertible - Restoration needed

Whatever happened to the old songs, like The Duke of Earl?  Whatever happened to The fu*kin' Duke of Earl? - Randy Newman