Author Topic: About cam chain adjusting CB550k (sorry for all the topics recently)  (Read 899 times)

Offline Ayrity

• Hot Shot
I have searched and searched around and it seems that some people say you can adjust the chain tensioner with the bike running, and some say you cant. I *think* I adjusted it already with the engine off and #1 at tdc. but I have no way of knowing if I actually did anything. I get the feeling that adjusting it while the bike is running would help  jar things to where they should be instead of stuck because of gunk or rust. I dont have the time to take the engine apart to check the tensioner right now, but my engine is a bit noisy in the top end... so I think maybe i need a big adjustment or a new tensioner.
1976 Honda CB550k

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
Re: About cam chain adjusting CB550k (sorry for all the topics recently)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:41 pm »
You can adjust it running. Start it, and loosen the lock nut. If the adjuster is free, it will immediately sound like a bucket of bolts rattling around in the head. Turn the adjuster screw counterclockwise to tighten the cam chain until the rattling goes away. If it whirs or whines, it's too tight. You'll hear it. Just adjust it until the rattling goes away but not any tighter, and tighten up the lock nut.
'75 CB550F

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:01 pm »
My book says you go past tdc a few degrees when you do the cam. You line the end of the small post up with the hash mark.
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline Ayrity

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »
thats what mine says as well, but just tried it while running as well and i couldnt adjust the screw more than 1/4 turn in either direction... Should I check on the tensioner? that just involves removing the engine head right?
1976 Honda CB550k

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »
The screw really doesn't have to turn much at all to adjust the tension. Did you hear a difference in the sound when turning it? If not, it may be frozen. If it is free, you should be able to turn it clockwise around a half turn or so, but it does take some pressure. Don't do this with the engine running, though.
'75 CB550F

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28:13 pm »
You aint supposed to turn the screw at all, its purely for assembly purposes. Search the tips section for the way i done it for 30 years
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »
You aint supposed to turn the screw at all, its purely for assembly purposes. Search the tips section for the way i done it for 30 years

Sorry, I was making the assumption that his adjuster is stuck, without making that assumption clear.
'75 CB550F

Offline Ayrity

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:39:50 pm »
I was trying to make sure the adjuster isnt stuck as well. thanks for all the suggestions, and I have read through your tips! trying them tomorrow. Thanks
1976 Honda CB550k