Author Topic: petcock leaking from on/off/reserve lever  (Read 2497 times)

cbcoker

petcock leaking from on/off/reserve lever
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:21:08 pm »
The petcock on my `72 cb350f ss leaks. I replaced the four holed gasket behind the wavy washer and still it leaks. The leak is coming from the bottom of the lever in between the petcock and the faceplate cover. No matter how hard I tighten the screws there is still a gap about a piece of paper thick in the middle of the faceplate which allows fuel to drain out. The mating surface is clean and free of debris and I don't see how it could be installed wrong since the gasket could only go behind the washer...Is there something I missed? I don't know if a new washer is needed or not or if I need to seal up that gap with something that gasoline would eventually eat through...Thanks for your help
Sean

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: petcock leaking from on/off/reserve lever
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:35:08 pm »
Don't know if your petcock parts are ordered the same, but here's the order for a early 750 petcock. The wavy washer goes right behind the face plate. If you don't get the order correct, it leaks.. guess how I know?  ::)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Bill Vaughan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:55 pm »
The faceplate is probably warped.  Because it's only secured on the two sides (by the two screws) it's a common problem.

Place the faceplate on a perfectly flat surface and lightly tap it back into straight shape, if not slightly concaved.  Worked for me.
1972 Z50A
1973 ST90
1975 CL360
1971 CB450
1975 CB550
1978 FLH
2003 FLSTS
2006 FLHRSI

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:12:15 am »
i had the experience of the white ring washer sticking to the plate when i pulled the thing apart (surface tension) and then dropping off later, unbeknownst to me and having the same problem...til i checked the parts book - thanks, bob.   ;)
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

cbcoker

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 06:35:08 pm »
Thanks for the help I think it is just bent a little...I got a recommendation that I put some 800grit sandpaper on some glass and rub the lever until it is flat...I'll try that and thank you to everyone who responded