3 (13%)
low gloss black
14 (60.9%)
SS grey
3 (13%)
Jetcoat silver
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: CB550 Cafe build - 1st bike build, but not 1st build  (Read 192870 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: CB550 Cafe build - 1st bike build, but not 1st build
« Reply #500 on: January 30, 2011, 07:41:02 am »
Just hoping they don't start closing roads through the passes, or it could be spring before I get back. ;D ;D
Yeah, what would be worse than being stranded in sunny CA with a kick-ass bike?  ;D
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #501 on: January 30, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »
 I'm at the show now. Its raining.  >:( may hang out to see if Tin top or chris wins anything. Not many bikes but tons of nice cars.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »
Quick note to let everyone know the results.  Chris won the class (sport bike), and I got 2ND.  Figure that's as good as a win in my book, as I never planned to build a bike for show.  Also not to disappointed to loose to Chris, as there is probably more money in his engine than my whole bike, and it is a fantastic bike, both technologically, and in it's finish. ;) :)

Also a big thanks to ffj for making the trip to the show.  It was great to meet a follow SOHC'er, even if it was on the other side of the continent. ;D ;D   Now off the start checking the weather, and plan the trip home.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2011, 10:50:11 pm »
Well done mate, you've done the breed proud..... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #505 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »
Well done mate, you've done the breed proud..... ;)

Mick

Thanks Mick.  The founder of House of Kolor came around this morning specifically to see the bike (its his paint on the tank & seat), and was very complimentary about my 'traditional' paint scheme.  Going to be spending the time driving home planning out a 750.  I've been bitten. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:55:00 pm by Tintop »
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:37 am »
Congratulations T-Top, your bike looks superb in that rough looking v-twin crowd...well done.  ;D

It's such a long way to travel why don't you just buy a place while you're there, call it the SOHC4 house, and rent it out between shows? Perhaps member discounts might be a consideration.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:14 am »
Quick note to let everyone know the results.  Chris won the class (sport bike), and I got 2ND.
HOLY SH!T.  ;D

No shame in coming 2nd to that thing.  Just imagine, though - if it wasn't for those Race Tech stickers on the forks, you prolly would have won. ;)

The founder of House of Colour came around this morning specifically to see the bike (its his paint on the tank & seat), and was very complimentary about my 'traditional' paint scheme.
WOW!  Talk about an endorsement!  Are you gonna relay this to the slow-@ss painter?  Did those remarks help you forgive him a bit? :)

And would that nice paint scheme help that founder dude to forgive you for misspelling "House of Kolor" so badly? ;)

Seriously: Amazing work, amazing result.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #508 on: January 31, 2011, 06:28:13 am »
Congratulations T-Top, your bike looks superb in that rough looking v-twin crowd...well done.  ;D

It's such a long way to travel why don't you just buy a place while you're there, call it the SOHC4 house, and rent it out between shows? Perhaps member discounts might be a consideration.

Thanks bw, it has been an experience I will certainly remember.  As for a house down here.  Not as far fetched an idea as you might think. ;)  Was talking with some guys from Phoenix at the awards.  They said home sales there are generally to Canadians.  I may have been born north of the border, but I hate the cold.  Would take very little for me to just stay here. ;) :)  The wealth of resources here, if your into building bikes or cars, is mind boggling.  A number of Canadians did take home 1st place trophys though.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #509 on: January 31, 2011, 06:41:55 am »
Quick note to let everyone know the results.  Chris won the class (sport bike), and I got 2ND.
HOLY SH!T.  ;D

No shame in coming 2nd to that thing.  Just imagine, though - if it wasn't for those Race Tech stickers on the forks, you prolly would have won. ;)

The founder of House of Colour came around this morning specifically to see the bike (its his paint on the tank & seat), and was very complimentary about my 'traditional' paint scheme.
WOW!  Talk about an endorsement!  Are you gonna relay this to the slow-@ss painter?  Did those remarks help you forgive him a bit? :)

And would that nice paint scheme help that founder dude to forgive you for misspelling "House of Kolor" so badly? ;)

Seriously: Amazing work, amazing result.

Thanks Syscrush.  Yeah it was very late (1 1/2 hours sitting in line to load), will have to fix that spelling. ::)  As for the painter, NO.  If he had done a quality job, the bike would have looked even better.  Tempted to strip everything off and send it to a real painter. >:(  Given that Chris' bike has Yoshi decals everywhere, the RT ones can stay.
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2011, 06:45:26 am »
Just getting in that show is quite an honor.   Well done and congratulations.

Fuller - of Fuller HotRods is a CB convert.   He's got that killer 550 with the custom frame engraving etc & a 69 diecast that is close to stock & very nice.

Again - congrats.    Super cool bike.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:47 am »
This really is an amazing accomplishment.  Have you shown any of the car stuff you've done?  What do you do for a living?  Just how surreal was it to drive all the way out there solo and place 2nd to a bike that cost more than the shop your bike was built in?

I am really in awe, congrats again.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2011, 07:58:17 am »
MR. TINTOP!!!   I'm SO proud of YOU!  FANTASTIC ALL AROUND!!!  A TRIPLE WOOOOT-WOOOT!!
Can't wait to get to a real computer so I can check out your photos!!

Again! CHEERS TO YOU!!! 

YEAH!!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2011, 12:30:32 pm »
PS - I can't believe your bike with that sexy bespoke ITG filter lost to a machine with no filters at all!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #514 on: January 31, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
Tintop

Congratulations on your outstanding finish and what sounds like a fantastic trip.
Swing by Vancouver on your way home and we’ll tip a beer or two in honor of your sweet bike.

Drive safe.
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #515 on: January 31, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »
Swing by Vancouver on your way home and we’ll tip a beer or two in honor of your sweet bike.
Same goes for Toronto.  If that doesn't work, my E46 fits 12 beers fine and I'd enjoy a ride out to Bolton when it warms up a bit.  ;D

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #516 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
Just getting in that show is quite an honor.   Well done and congratulations.

Fuller - of Fuller HotRods is a CB convert.   He's got that killer 550 with the custom frame engraving etc & a 69 diecast that is close to stock & very nice.

Again - congrats.    Super cool bike.

Thanks Greenjeans, I was talking with him at the show.  He had 2 Harley customs, and a very trick Chevy there.  The father of one of the guys who works for him is a Mini guru.  Spent alot of time trading 'tall tales' about our Mini adventures. :)  Also drank a bunch of their Starbuck coffee. ;)

FJ probably should have gone north instead of west. ;)  Looks like I may get stuck somewhere east of Denver waiting for this major storm to blow by. ::)  As for that beer Syscrush, any time you want to get together just drop me a PM.

Hednut, we're going to have to do Show Board part 2.  Learned a lot while I was there.  Want to make it bigger, and give more credit to those who contributed.  That said, the 1st one looked really good, many thanks.

1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast
« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2011, 06:17:55 am »
can somebody post a pic of chris' bike?   I'm  not sure which one it is...
1978 CB550

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #518 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:52 am »
can somebody post a pic of chris' bike?   I'm  not sure which one it is...
The blue and white Katana of excess. :)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #520 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:57 am »
What is Chris' last name?  Where can we find more details on that bike?

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast
« Reply #521 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »
call me Biased but your bike rocks that thing 10x (20x if you got rid of your points cover and fork stickers..but thats just my preference) lolol  ;D ;D ;D... I cant wait to go for a ride with you Brian..
1978 CB550

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #522 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »
Chris' shop is called MotoGPwerks.  Just google it.

Actually P_Camps the blue cover got all kinds of positive comments.  It was one of the things that people really liked (including the judges).  As for the decals, those silver ones are the only set existing, I had them made, as I hated the real RaceTech yellow ones.

Going to make a new vid when I get home, now that the bike is tuned.  It sounds sweet.  Not going to put baffles in until the 'officially requested'.  When I started it at the show, even the Harley guys took notice. ;) :)  It may even make the decibel rating at idle (just!).
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #523 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
Actually P_Camps the blue cover got all kinds of positive comments.  It was one of the things that people really liked (including the judges).  As for the decals, those silver ones are the only set existing, I had them made, as I hated the real RaceTech yellow ones.
I just want to interject with a promise that I'm not P_Camps. :)

With the other blue on the bike, I have really, really warmed up to that points cover, and think that the red touches are very tasteful, too.  If you go back and look at my first comment on it, I did point out that I don't know what other colors are going on the bike as a caveat. :)

Going to make a new vid when I get home, now that the bike is tuned.  It sounds sweet.  Not going to put baffles in until the 'officially requested'.  When I started it at the show, even the Harley guys took notice. ;) :)  It may even make the decibel rating at idle (just!).
I hope to hear it before the baffles are fitted.   ;D

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #524 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »
Tintop do you like your front fairing i have been looking at one for about a year now but am on the fence about it i like that's its small. do you just have it mounted to the head light mounts? does it vibrate much while at speed?

thanks
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer