Author Topic: Problem with neutral light  (Read 624 times)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Problem with neutral light
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:41:09 am »
I finally got my dash lights all wired up n my project bike and expected no problems, but of course I got some.

I can't seem to get the neutral light to come on like it is supposed to. When I turn on the key, the light will quickly flash. I get the same thing when I turn the key off. Just a quick flash. I tested the switch and it is working properly. All the wires seem to be in order (neutral circuit ground out when in neutral, no grounding when in gear). There appears to be plenty of power in the power wire (front brake switch powered by same wire and that works fine). Also, the oil light is not coming on at all (also powered by the same wire).

What should I look for? Help me trouble shoot this?
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
Re: Problem with neutral light
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:52:57 am »
The neutral light is grounded through the neutral switch to complete the circuit.  So, you need to be sure that the neutral indicator bulb is supplied with +12 volts with the key on, and when you ground the other wire, the bulb comes on.  The same as when the neutral switch is activated.
Another quick check is to short out the wire that connects to the neutral switch directly to the frame to make the indicator comes on.  There may be other issues with the neutral safety circuit....can't help you with that one without the schematic in front of me.  Perhaps someone else can come to your aid in that respect.
Steve F

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: Problem with neutral light
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 05:03:15 am »
I just goes to show that you should read the forum FIRST, and then ask your question if it still exists.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70164.0

Apparently Turbogrimace is having the same problem (and also on a 78K). I'm running LED's and after reading his post realized that I wired them in backwards. A simple wire switch and I should be good to go (of course that means cutting and re-soldering... bleh... I thought I was done with that...)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"