Author Topic: CB350 Four clean-up  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
CB350 Four clean-up
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:27:00 am »
I'm not particularly good at documenting projects, but I did take some pictures in the garage last winter.  It may be cheating, but here is a fast and nasty build thread start to finish. This started like many projects, a classified ad for a rusty "barn find".  The good news was it had only one owner, was complete, and had a title.  The bad news?  Stored in a leaky barn, with fertilizer, since 1976.  The fella I bought it from met me in the driveway with a revolver on his hip. "Got a copperhead (snake) livin' in the barn.  I intend to shoot it if I see it" he says.  

$100 later, a 1974 350-F1 with only 4800 miles on the odometer was rusting in the drive.  
It still had the original tags and dealer paperwork, along with crash and sissy bars.  
My wife has wanted a little bike of her own, and this would be a good starter bike.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:26:05 am by Nikkisixx »
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
Re: CB350 Four clean-up
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:29:05 am »
I started calling the bike Stella; short for stiletto - the small sharp knife.
After a quick "simple green" wash and rinse, Stella mostly just sat in the garage.
I don't work on a project without the title in my name, but since I had some time
lined up in a pro paint booth, the paint and bodywork got moved up in the cue. I did
the POR15 treatment inside the tank, stripped the "paint" and sprayed on POR15 rust treatment
on the outside as well.  This got covered with a coat of acid etch primer.
I got a kit of candy blue green from dondirtbiker and laid it on.  It is not the original
color, nor is it the original paint scheme.  The chrome was too far gone, so the fenders
were painted as well.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:04:27 pm by Nikkisixx »
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:31:52 am »
Over time I pulled the plugs and squirted some Marvel oil down the holes. Also removed
and tore down the carbs to let them soak. After getting some forum input about the mystery spring and ball for the choke, I put the rebuilt carbs back on, hooked up a temporary fuel source, changed the oil, and added a battery. After  a few choice words (Stella likes it when you talk dirty to her) she started up!  With the bike on the center stand and running,I eased it into gear (no chain) and ran it up and down in the gears, checked the charging system, flashed the lights, blew the horn.  Everything worked!

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:34:49 am »
When the paperwork cleared the DMV, work began in earnest.  I pulled the engine, stripping the frame bare.  Using a 2 part epoxy paint, everything black was black again. Although the engine ran, I expected leaks so the gaskets were replaced and engine cleaned up.

The wheels were too far gone.  I cut the hubs out and ordered a set of rims and spokes from Thailand via eBay (vintage_001 was the seller).  I was nervous about the purchase, but with shipping a new set cost me $175.  They have worked out fine, laced up and wrapped in a pair
of IRC tires.

Brake fluid turns to dust after 20 or so years.  Grease gun was used to get the caliper apart and rebuilt, soaked the master in denatured alcohol to get it apart, new SS brake lines, a 750 MC kit (no kit available for the 350), scuffed up the pads and rotors.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:05:57 pm by Nikkisixx »

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:38:04 am »
The forks were also gummed up. Broke them down and replaced the seals. Cleaned wheel bearings and re-greased. New chain, cleaned the sprockets up. The seat cover was in bad shape, used the cover off a broken seat pan from a swap meet (it has since torn as well). Rebuilt the petcock, new throttle cables. Some of the chrome bits got paint, others have yet to be addressed. The pipes had some small holes that were welded up, and I glass beaded the rust off. Hit them with a light coat of high temp clear. Since this is a learner bike, I'll wait until all the newbies have had a turn before I finish the brightwork. My father-in-law, neighbors, friends, and of course the wife have enjoyed buzzing around the block on it.  I have put about 500 miles on her and enjoy the light carefree feel of the little bike. My wife and I are expecting (ho-rah!) so she does not ride it right now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:40:22 am by Nikkisixx »

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:40:51 am »
I'm sure there are tons of details missed by doing this build thread in one shot, but
I've seen a lot of other threads start and never finish. I've also seen $100
bikes that quickly become $2000 bikes.  I focused on getting the bike to run great, and
look presentable. There is still a fair amount of "patina". I only replaced what had
to be replaced, used OEM where it was necessary or not cost prohibitive, and kept to a fairly tight budget. All in, the bike has about $750 in it including the purchase price. Another $250 in seat and chrome and some spit and polish is due eventually.  

Cut it, chop it, cafe it, part it? Why not clean it, tune it up and ride it?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:42:47 am by Nikkisixx »

cb544

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:15 pm »
Wow- nicely done!

I say enjoy her as is, and then see what you want to do with it!

traveler

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »
LOVE IT!

Looks like a good July BOTM right here!

~Joe

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »
Thanks man!  I definitely see the allure of clubman bars and a solo seat, but until wifey is ready to give it up it will stay the way it is  :D

traveler

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »
Just my .02

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Leave the 350 STOCK!

go ahead and mod the 750....yes, I saw it in the background, along with the SuperBettle! ;D

If I do another CB it will be stock.  One Cafe is enough. 

~Joe

Offline GStarIndustries

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »
I have a spare pair of Carpy's clubmans I'll let go for a killer deal if you ever want them  ;D

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:22 pm »

go ahead and mod the 750....yes, I saw it in the background, along with the SuperBettle! ;D

Good eye Joe!  I'm guessing your talking about the CB750, but I already have a 750 Triumph waiting for next winter.  It will be a Cafe' bike!  The Superbeetle is done now too  8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:08:55 pm by Nikkisixx »