Author Topic: "What the heck" - is this part for -- challenge  (Read 2286 times)

Zane

"What the heck" - is this part for -- challenge
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:25:19 pm »
There's a good chance I'm going to feel pretty foolish when someone tells me what this little bracket is for on my 1976 Honda CB 400 F. 

In the picture I erased distractions so you all would have an easier time seeing the part.   (It's the red part....)   My parts list(s) call it "STAY, SPEEDO UNIT".  It seems to have been on all three (NA) years - '75, '76, & '77.  It is part number 38555-377-000.

The two holes in the thing match the two holes for the horn mounting bracket.  (Those two holes aren't shown in the parts list diagram, but they're just below the tank rubber mounting peg.  The horn attaches from the other side of the frame.)

I just can't figure out what it's for.  My best guess though, involves some sort of suspension rubber, kind of like the little stock suspension rubber which holds my winker unit (back by the fuse box).  My guess is based on the way the end of the bracket is notched.

Zane

Re: "What the heck" - is this part for -- challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:29:29 pm »
I should have said "more foolish" - since I already feel like a dummy struggling with posting pictures....

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:47:31 pm »
Been a while since I work on one of these.  Wasn't there a black plastic molded box on that bracket to house electrical connectors and shield them from the elements?

Doesn't the box show on the parts diagram?

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline number13

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 CB500, 2002 VT750DC
    • Sound Exchange
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 05:02:04 pm »
Beer holder?
Bikes parked out front mean good chicken-fried steak inside.

Zane

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:06:10 pm »
Thank you for taking a crack at this, TT.

To the best of my knowledge the only thing in this spot to protect cable is a little vinyl/rubber collar.  The photos I've seen all show that part of the bike like it is in this routing diagram.

I find it all very odd.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 05:06:58 pm »
I vote with TT. The bottom part looks very much like, though I know its from a different bike, the bracket used to hold the fuse holder on my K0. If it is, the lower part slipped through a rubber loop to isolate it from vibrations..I think.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Zane

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 05:29:11 pm »
Beer holder! 

Maybe for Yankee brew - a fellow wouldn't mind so much if that stuff was hard to get to....

I think I've got this partly figured (and I do feel a little dumb).  The downfacing hook right under the two holes is for the bottom catch of the retaining band.  That band was missing on my bike, and a glance at the parts list made me think the band wraps around the harness - with both ends of the band hooking on to the same clasp (the one on the frame).

But it doesn't - this little bracket must perform two functions - bottom hook for the rubber strap and something for somebody elses motorcycle(s).

Thanks guys - that's what I needed - a little prompting...... (and a little humour) ....