Author Topic: krylon x-metal paint. anyone used it?  (Read 7357 times)

Offline EdB

• i didnt break down, i like to rebuild it on the side of the road
  • Enthusiast
krylon x-metal paint. anyone used it?
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
i was in wally world looking at rattle can paint and saw a spray paint made by krylon called x-metal. it is supposed to give an anodized finish and be gas proof. has anyone seen or used it yet?
But thence came the Great Schism, when the two like tribes diverged, and the Bobbers did take the Road to Cruiserdom and the Cafe Racers did ride to Sportbikedom and they did pollute the lands along their paths with their abominable spawn of Choppers, Stuntaz and like manner of unholy douchebaggery

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
Re: krylon x-metal paint. anyone used it?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:23 am »
Dont know just go and try it!

Offline csc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:17 am »
Yes , Ive use it , the red on tank & covers , it turns out very nice, like a factory metallic color. Krylon calls it anodized but when sprayed 4to 5 coats for even coverage and color depth in it, looks like a deep metallic color with very fine metalflake in it. Use a good light grey primer to start  then at least 2 coats of the Krylon x-metal metallic base coat , looks silver with alot metallic in it , then spray a couple of color coats , it will look light at first, then spray another light metallic base coat , it will give the metallic the depth in the paint, then I sprayed another 3 color coats . it can be lightly wet sanded between coats and before clearcoating . I used like 2 1/2 cans metallic basecoat and about 6 cans of color , it will depend on the darkness you what the color .. Then the clearcoats will put the final high gloss on it.                                 Oh and as far as Gas proof ??  that may depend on the clearcoat if one is used..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:08:49 am by csc »
It Aint a Sin to be Poor, Its just un handy as Hell                                                                                               72 cb350F

Offline EdB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:40 pm »
ok, the xmetal base coat is non existant around here. found the duplicolor version at the autostore. gonna try it this weekend. just gotta pick a color sceme. thinking the anodized red and something. i want two tone not just one color. ill post how it ends up.
But thence came the Great Schism, when the two like tribes diverged, and the Bobbers did take the Road to Cruiserdom and the Cafe Racers did ride to Sportbikedom and they did pollute the lands along their paths with their abominable spawn of Choppers, Stuntaz and like manner of unholy douchebaggery

Offline Irk11

• Irk11
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:51 pm »
Be careful of the duplicolor, used it on a racecar, looks awesome, but scratches off very easily! Not sure how it would hold up to everyday use, might be better (harder) with a good clear coat!
Ride hard,chicks dig scars!

Offline EdB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:37:04 pm »
okey dokey.
note to self: clear coat this job.    i was reading somewhere else that the krylon dries pretty hard. was hoping the duplicolor was the same. guess not.

BFS-SONIC

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »
I use this product alot!There are many tricks to get it to work good and to fix mistakes with it.You can use a primer for bas then applie a silver coat.After the silver coat is dry,applie a clear coat over the siver.Then applie the X METAL piant.After its dry applie another coat of clear.This is good for bikes and other items.The reason for putting the clear coat onto the silver color ,is so that when you applie the X METAL paint it does cuase a reaction with the siver.When u applie X metals to silver directly it will dull the color of the X METAL piant a bit.This is why u use clear coat on top of the silver,then applie the X metal piant of your choice.Also you can use a clear coat engine paint in to of the X METAL piant.Give it a nice clean high gloss look.If the X metal paint has a frosted look to it after you applie it,dont worry about it.Just use a heat gun or hair dryer and get the paint hot.This will cuase the piant to clear up!SRY if my spelling wasnt that great!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »

BFS.. Got any pics?  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Hurts Dont It

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:25:10 pm »
I just used it for a custom desk I built. I worked out great. I was looking for a candy blue paint and this was by far the cheapest option to come close to that color.

Enjoy,
Hurts

traveler

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:20:43 pm »
Damn, that desk is badass!

~Joe