Author Topic: Comstar Wheels  (Read 10217 times)

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
Comstar Wheels
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:14:52 pm »
I hate spoke wheels. I REALLY hate spoke wheels.

I need new wheels for my 1978 CB550K. I have a set of better wheels to replace the poor wheels that are on the bike.

Comstars look better than the spoke wheels do.

What year/model did these wheels come on? How cheap are they? Tubeless tires or do you still need tubes? Direct fit or do they need modded?

I need to get my wheels replaced and before we I go through all the work to replace my wheels with ones I don't like, I want to make sure there are not better, to me at least, options out there for a better looking/better in general, wheel.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
Re: Comstar Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
unless they're later (78? 80?) they will require tubes.  "Tubeless" is marked on the ones that can do so.

Someone else will have to help as far as which years/models had them, but as far as $$ sometimes you can find them cheap from people who are going to spokes because they like spokes.  Even better would be arranging some kind of trade.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:13:28 am »
It's not good to use the word hate is the way my philosophy was taught , but. Give all those miles on a spoked rim credit. Think about the bycycle miles , too which have 10X kharma /hr.

Been a while but I used to be  a mileage master with just 10 gears. I saw a production 10 speed yesterday that I marveled at for a bit that had 18 spoke radial laced rims that someone used for commuting. At the time I was at race weight I might have used such a thing but the technology of the rim was so cost prohibitive for anyone that was not sponsored that  your $15 bucks was going toward's your friend friendly deal/  offer to sell you the aluminum cluster that was equally advanced and  a favor from him that couldn't stomp those close ratios and you were the one he wanted to make  go faster.

Point being, technology applied to lighteng/strengthening rims like they've done with pedalers' rim shapes  applied to new spoke patterns spokes may  make  for an interesting  back to the future.

And point two, I've heard of comstars comming apart, but just one story of that. The story was it was a pull off the road wheel deal, not a catastrophic existence failure like motor parts. I've seen what  '80's heat treated bicycle rims can do because I dodged it going downhill. It's beyond pretzel and potato chiped  rim.

And not like any comstar stories when two first year XS-11's  of the same batch from the same dealership caused yamaha QA/ Risk Management reps show up to my hometown because the technicians reported driveshafts snapping, twisting apart.

Come to find out, the guys were runing around wheelieing off at every two block interval stopsign  in town, and  riding around eight hours a day or more together. Not sure what the Yamaha changes or company report might have been. Rode a moped at that time 'cus I was too young for that big  stuff ...

Lots of people have comstars around and they come on 400t's hawks, some 750's and others probably. You may have to modify or use donor brakes, etc, forks, etc and I only have one story about the welds comming apart, no one else does? That's good! I guess I'd I'd run e'm .
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Rlint

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 05:43:28 am »
I was thinking about a set of comstars for my 550, too, mainly because of price.  cx500 wheels are the same size, have rear drum brakes, and can be had for like $30 on ebay, but from everything I've read on this forum, it's not a super-simple swap.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:02:10 am »
Someone on here has done 650 comstars on a 550.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:40:30 am »

I need new wheels for my 1978 CB550K. I want to make sure there are not better, to me at least, options out there for a better looking/better in general, wheel.

Tom

Your weird,  ;D
 Comstars are ugliest wheels ever in my opinion.
Saying that, I have a WM3x19 off CBX or 900 (if your interested?)
 Later model, all alloy. black, reverse spokes
 The early alloy hub/stainless steel spokes/alloy rim are the ones to aviod.
 I've seen a lot of them with loose spokes/worn out rivet holes.
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 07:59:47 am »

Direct fit? I mean, just pull the ugly spoke wheel off and put this wheel on?

I assume this is for a front. How about a rear wheel?

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:57:54 am »
 Face it, its gonna cost a bit to adapt.

Comstars are cheap... fitting them may cost more..

But any other wheel may not fit right on, so be nice to your machinist buddies.

You may want to look at Kawi 440 trype wheels, they look nicer than Comstars.. not sure of axle size though.  We have made all kinds of stuff fit other bikes..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:10 am »
I was thinking about a set of comstars for my 550, too, mainly because of price.  cx500 wheels are the same size, have rear drum brakes, and can be had for like $30 on ebay, but from everything I've read on this forum, it's not a super-simple swap.

the cx is shaft drive so i cant see that being an easy fit , couldn't wait to get rid of the comstars my f2 came with, they are ugly hard to clean and weigh more than a boat anchor .

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:55:28 am »
 Shafty wheels can be made to work..require an adaptor plate for a bearing and the sprocket..
 That could cost more than the wheels.. unless you DIY..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:45:37 am »
Are there any Comstar wheels that are a direct bolt on?

This is what I guess I am asking.

I know with enough work, car wheels can be made to fit. I wan't direct bolt-on.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:50:55 am »
A direct bolt on?   Depends what bolts you want to use.   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=41841.msg452550#msg452550
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:22 pm »
There can be two simple answers to my question...

1, Sorry, there are no wheels that are a direct bolt on. Some will work, but requires replacment of swing arm and fork as a minimum.

2, Yes, the 19XX Honkawamahauki CBCRXL1100650180650 Dreamliner LX RR is a direct bolt on.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 05:54:28 pm »

Direct fit? I mean, just pull the ugly spoke wheel off and put this wheel on?

I assume this is for a front. How about a rear wheel?

Tom

I'll dig it out tomorrow, got a 500/550 wheel for comparison so can tell you how difficult or easy its going to be.
  Sorry, don't have a rear wheel.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »
Re post # 12..

There are many wheels that can be made to fit your swingarm and your forks..

Will they drop right in.. not unless they are Lesters..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 09:52:18 pm »
The '79 DOHC CB750F had silver 'standard' comstars.  '80-'82 DOHC CB750F had the more common inverse comstars.  All were dual disc in front, single rear disc and chain drive.  Front wheel is 19x1.85, rear is 18x2.15.  I bet the CB750C had the same wheels.

The '81-'82 CB900F had wider inverse comstars, 19x2.00 in front and 18z2.50 in back.  The CB900C had a shaft in the rear but the front should be the same.

I had comstars on my '81 900F but found them to be be untrue.  From what I understand, the aluminum rivets corrode and lets the wheel become untrue.  I ended up swapping to CBR wheels, a common upgrade for the DOHC bikes, and could then run modern radial tires.
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 02:38:22 pm »
I got wheel out of shed, sprayed it down with some WD40 and got dust off (been stored for at least 8 yrs)
Looks pretty simple conversion for front, rear looks a bit more involved
 MT 2.15 x 19, 15mm axle

Here's pic of mine

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:40:10 pm by crazypj »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »
Ummm... that is a 5 bolt hub, probably narrower than 550...

550 is 6 bolt last time I looked..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 03:37:52 am »
I like Comstars, particularly the early pattern, the reversed ones do look crap, in my opinion. I've heard (here) about loose rivets etc, but most of the stories I've heard have been second and third hand, so I give them little or no credibility.

I've owned 3 F2's and have never seen a bad comstar wheel first hand, but I'm sure some have failed, just like spoked wheels do. Oh, don't get me wrong, I like spoked wheels too, and I like cast mag wheels, even though the early ones were as heavy as buggery like Suzuki and Kawasaki cast mag wheels (not to mention Lesters and HA's) and some even cracked, such as the ones fitted to the early Ducati V Twins. 

The Comstar wheel was developed by Honda for racing, and the benefits were light weight (compared to other heavy cast mag wheels of the era) and rigidity way beyond the capabilities of spokes, and the ability to run tubeless tires. Get some good ones mate, and you'll be happy. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 06:08:44 am »
Yep, 5 bolt rotors.
Just means you don't use the stock 550 one's  ;D
 Needs a different speedo drive as well

Terry,
 Personally, I've never seen a late model, all alloy Comstar wheel with issues.
 I have seen quite a few of the early (78/79?) stainless spoke/alloy rim with major problems though
People kept riding after spoke/rivet started to loosen, the holes wallowed out pretty good and rim moved independent of spokes, usually turned up at shop thinking they had low tyre pressure
 If you catch it early, bicycle crank bolts work real well and look pretty good, just open up the holes, I think to, 9mm?  (been almost 30 yrs since I did one)

PJ

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:21 am »
If there are Comstars that are a direct fit, I would be all over them. I really like them over the spokes.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Rlint

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 09:46:20 am »
the 550 rotor is 6 bolt and the comstars are 5 bolt, right?  Would it be terribly difficult to just use a 5 bolt brake rotor?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 11:11:23 pm »
 Different offset on rotor.
 Rotor is a lot thinner.
 Dia  may be closer to 500/550, but a lot smaller than 750 rotor.

Easier to swap forks...
dodogas99@gmail.com

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 11:31:58 pm »
Yep, 5 bolt rotors.
Just means you don't use the stock 550 one's  ;D
 Needs a different speedo drive as well

Terry,
 Personally, I've never seen a late model, all alloy Comstar wheel with issues.
 I have seen quite a few of the early (78/79?) stainless spoke/alloy rim with major problems though
People kept riding after spoke/rivet started to loosen, the holes wallowed out pretty good and rim moved independent of spokes, usually turned up at shop thinking they had low tyre pressure
 If you catch it early, bicycle crank bolts work real well and look pretty good, just open up the holes, I think to, 9mm?  (been almost 30 yrs since I did one)

PJ

Thanks PJ, I've got an all alloy Comstar front wheel in my garage (from a CBX, I think?) and it's super lightweight, much lighter than a spoked CB750 front wheel, but I haven't been able to locate a rear. If I could find one, I'd use it on my next CB750 build, I've got a really nice set of HA's here, but they weigh a ton! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

skateanddestroy1986

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »

I need new wheels for my 1978 CB550K. I want to make sure there are not better, to me at least, options out there for a better looking/better in general, wheel.

Tom

Your weird,  ;D
 Comstars are ugliest wheels ever in my opinion.
 Later model, all alloy. black, reverse spokes
 The early alloy hub/stainless steel spokes/alloy rim are the ones to aviod.
 I've seen a lot of them with loose spokes/worn out rivet holes.

i agree fully, comstars are hideous hahah