Author Topic: CB400 Twin Comstar wheels  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
CB400 Twin Comstar wheels
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:03:17 am »
I may have found a set oc Comstars for a CB400 twin.

Will they fit the 1978 CB550K?

I don't want to swap out forks, swingarms, etc.

Will it fit?

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
Re: CB400 Twin Comstar wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »
Anyone know if they would work?

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:01:20 pm »

I put a set of CB400T comstars (the early silver ones) on a CB350F.  The 400 forks were the same diameter (33mm), so I used them in the 350 triples.  This allowed me to use the better twin piston Honda caliper up front.

I probably had to juggle wheels spacers, but the axle diameters matched,

The rims are probably narrower than the 500/550 wheels

Tracy

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »
You may need different spacers to center the rear wheel in your swingarm, and the front in the forks. The sprocket carrier may have the wrong offset from the center of the wheel and will need to be milled down or your sprocket may need spacers to get the chain line right.

It's probably a drum brake, and that shouldn't present much difficulty to adapt to your bike.

The front brake may pose some challenge, if you want to keep your original front brake and swap it over to the comstar, you may have to drill a few new holes in your brake rotor carrier to adapt it to the comstar hub.

It can be done, but be sure to get all of the measurements on paper first before spending a dime on anything.

Asking if it'll work is a relative question, you'll probably have to do a ton of measuring, have some spacers made, and maybe even find some wheel bearings to allow you to use your original axles.  Check the link in my signature line for some documents that may help along the way.
-Alan