Author Topic: Vin Plates  (Read 1534 times)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Vin Plates
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:39:11 am »
The question has repeatedley been asked "where can i get a new Vin Plate" and the answer has been you cant BUT i just found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280525332156&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Now i am NOT making comment about legality, or otherwise, of using these and they are not the identical match to the early type but they are there
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
Re: Vin Plates
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:53:30 am »
I'm a little surprised ebay hasn't turned this one off.  They seem picky about lots of things like frame and title combinations, for example. 

Secondly, ads that have lots of misspellings are often suspect. 

If it's real, it's a ticket to a pristine tag... to match the rest of your restoration. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:47:54 am »
Bad spelling is the Swiss-english translation as to legality they were at one time available to order fron Honda
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:47 pm »
I made mine out of aluminum sheet. You really cannot tell the diff. No legal problem as long as it matches the correct number stamped on the other side of the neck. That one from Swis on ebay isn't even look close to the US version. Maybe it's a EU version.

srook

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:13:13 pm »
There is a better option for replacing the VIN plate.  Order or make an aluminum plate 3.3/4" x 1.1/4".  You can order a plate through www.plaquemaker.com with rounded corners.  Do a search for a VIN plate decal for a Z50 US version.  This is the exact same as the ones used on the CB750 but its a decal not a plate.  The guy that sells them will even print the VIN and build date you provide.  Bend your aluminum plate around a pipe to put a curve in it to fit the neck.  Drill 2 holes so you can affix it to the neck.  Get some hammer-in rivets from McMaster Carr.  Stick the decal to the plate and use the rivets to attatch it to the neck.  This will look exactly like the original with the exception that the VIN are printed and not stamped into the plate.  It is a bit more expensive though:  $15 for the plate, $33 for the decal, $5 for a box of rivets.
Scott

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:31:48 pm »
That's what I did but I got the aluminum sheet at the hardware store in the hobby area. It's a couple bucks. Then use CorelDraw and make your VIN print on clear sticky back mylar - $1.00. Then put the sticker on the aluminum and you're done. Use a file to round to the corners. I used black. 2-56 allen head cap screws and tapped the neck to attach. Can't tell. And it's more fun doing it yourself.