Author Topic: handlebar clamps and clip ons?  (Read 2007 times)

Veemo

handlebar clamps and clip ons?
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:08:51 am »
I'm just curious, when you install clipons what happens to the clamps for the stock handlebars? Are they ground down flush and pained over? do you replace the top of the triple tree with a new part, without the clamps?

Offline amerdunbar

• Dunbar Chrome
Re: handlebar clamps and clip ons?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:53 am »
I'm taking (machining) mine off.  Thought about getting one from cyclex, but I'm keeping my factory guage mount.
1976 CB750K Tracy Cafe
1982 CB900F

Offline lordmember1969

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:33:05 am »
Check out what i did with mine:) second page:)

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70333.25
1977 CB 750 SS Cafe
1977 CB 750 Basket case
1971 Mustang Grande
1928 Model A Pheathon Hot Rod
1977 Harley Custom FXE

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70333.0

Offline eosmontana

• 71k2, 78f2
    • SubM2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »
I started a thread about this earlier... some good examples of people shaving them convinced me to do it.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=66377.0

Offline jdubb1977

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:46:44 am »
I left my clamps in place, and cut a small section off some old handlebars to fit, leaving just about 1/4" sticking out on either side of the clamps.  I put some plugs in the end, and I use that little section of bar to hold my registration, insurance, etc.  It's kind of handy.  I'm also going to attach a clock.  :)

Veemo

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:24 pm »
Jdub, that's awesome. I bet that would be a great place to mount a GPS, iPod, ashtray, or whatever. I think I'll make some Stainless Clubmans at the shop, but if I ever put clipons on there I'm going to remember your idea.

Now, another thing, while I was thinking about making some Clubmans I had an idea: what if I make them without the handles (just the "U" bend that fits in the handlebar clamps) and then clamp some clipons to the ends. I could have adjustable grip angles at the yoke and at the grips themselves. Thoughts?

traveler

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »
terozzi clubmans?

Offline jdubb1977

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
Jdub, that's awesome. I bet that would be a great place to mount a GPS, iPod, ashtray, or whatever. I think I'll make some Stainless Clubmans at the shop, but if I ever put clipons on there I'm going to remember your idea.

Now, another thing, while I was thinking about making some Clubmans I had an idea: what if I make them without the handles (just the "U" bend that fits in the handlebar clamps) and then clamp some clipons to the ends. I could have adjustable grip angles at the yoke and at the grips themselves. Thoughts?

exactly my thought about attachments.  gps, clock, cup holder, etc.  plus, if you get stopped by the five-o, you always have your documents handy.