Author Topic: Clutch Safety Switch Wire Colors - a Cautionary Tail  (Read 1784 times)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Clutch Safety Switch Wire Colors - a Cautionary Tail
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »
Today I replaced the clutch safety switch on my 750K4 with part number 35360-341-000 as specified on the parts fiche.  Easy enough to replace, just remove the clutch lever, pull out the remainders of the old switch through the lever side, slip the new switch in through the lever slot, pretty as you please!

Now for the confusing part.  I threaded the wires into the headlight bucket.  Normally, one connects like colored wires to like colored wires.  But in the case of the clutch safety switch, when replacing with new, the colors don't match.  The original switch had a GREEN and a GREEN/RED wire.  The NEW switch has a BLACK and GREEN/YELLOW wire.  I plugged the GREEN/YELLOW into the GREEN/RED.  It felt so WRONG plugging the BLACK wire into the GREEN.  

I then tested the operation of the starter and sure 'nuf, if the transmission is in gear, the start button will not trip the starter solenoid unless the clutch lever is pulled in.  

I don't expect to ever have to mess with the switch again, but for the benefit of my great grandchild who might be digging through the headlight bucket in the year 2046, I put colored shrink wrap on the ends of the wires to match the harness colors.

(a quick shout out to my great grandson Zephod who may have stumbled across this thread in the trans galactic dictionary, Great Grampa loves you Zaph! and don't forget to oil the lawn maintenance robot.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:26:08 pm by OldSchool_IsCool »
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: Clutch Safety Switch Wire Colors - a Cautionary Tail
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »
Thats cos the switch supplied is the front brakelight switch for the cable operated front drum like on 125's and somebody at Honda decided why keep two parts when they are the same except wire colour
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:17 am »
I'm sure you're right BryanJ as GREEN/RED is brake switch color according to the wiring diagram I have.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:55 am »
Everyone should be so considerate.  POs, as a group,  would have a much better reputation.  So many complaints about wiring butcher jobs.  I have to count myself among the guilty as most of my wiring "improvements" come from the same colored roll of wire.  There, I feel better after the confession. 
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:57:22 pm »
Everyone should be so considerate.  POs, as a group,  would have a much better reputation.  So many complaints about wiring butcher jobs.  I have to count myself among the guilty as most of my wiring "improvements" come from the same colored roll of wire.  There, I feel better after the confession. 

One good confession deserves another.  The truth is that the shrink wrap color code IS for me!  My memory is so bad that I find I'm my OWN PO sometimes!!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?