Author Topic: New Shocks = Improved everything damned near!  (Read 1551 times)

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
New Shocks = Improved everything damned near!
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »
Well I finally road-tested the 750 with new David Silver supplied rear shocks (repros). Well I hoped and expected for better under-butt comfort with less bumps, bouncing  and wallow. Got that.

I hoped for better cornering - got that - now find myself going 10-20Kph faster into all corners - by instinct. Well, no,..it's like the bike is doing it - it knows that I've spent $370 on it's arse and feels so much better for it and wants to show me what it can deliver.

What I didn't expect though - that stability in a brisk wind improved out-of-sight. Took the missus on the back for an 80k ride for coffee etc. There was a stiffish breeze - not strong but verging on a nuisance. Till now, I found the bike would feel like it wanted to whip out from under me in the rear when a gust came up. Now,..with new shocks - I got a straight stable, secure ride - and best of all a SAFE FEELING...totally. The bike absolutely hugged the highway. First time since I bought this over a year ago.
I can recommend anyone with old shocks - chuck em. You won't regret the investment.
Mark

EverettShadowbrook

Re: New Shocks = Improved everything damned near!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:51:24 pm »
Nice! What did those run you?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »
Nice! What did those run you?
He mentioned $370. Which should get a pretty good shock.

What I want to know is where is he riding 80,000 miles for coffee?   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline nancy

• Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »
MC ...80k means 80 kilometres in NZ speak. Or for that matter Ossie or anywhere else in the free world that matters. Note also - metres not meters...it matters where you place your rrrzz.
Miles went out of vogue here when this was a new bike.
$370 is NZ $$$ - so that is more like around US$290 I guess..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:58:55 pm by nancy »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »
MC ...80k means 80 kilometres in NZ speak. Or for that matter Ossie or anywhere else in the free world that matters. Note also - metres not meters...it matters where you place your rrrzz.
Miles went out of vogue here when this was a new bike.
$370 is NZ $$$ - so that is more like around US$290 I guess..
Just joshing with you, though I didn't really know 80k was 80 kilometers, should have figured.
Glad you like your new shocks, money well spent.   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:37:17 pm »
About $300US  and not rebuildable- you can get Ikons for not a whole lot more.
They are rebuildable.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »
About $300US  and not rebuildable- you can get Ikons for not a whole lot more.
They are rebuildable.

Good point certainly.

By the looks of them, I think Nancy was going for the stock appearance as well as a better shock.

I haven't put enough miles on my bikes in the last 10 years to worry about rebuilding shocks.   :(
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline nancy

• Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:57 pm »
You may get IKONS there for that - but not here. Costs in NZ for those parts and most motorcycle parts are hugely inflated.
The shocks I bought cost 129.00 pounds which roughly doubled plus 10% is what they cost me - the rest is a donation to the UPS executive bonus fund...
True MS I was after a stock look. The performance gain was only half the benefit - I am after a look as well. I considered the better, newer shock technology - but pricee it here - I think it was about $500NZ...for your ICONZ...fooo to that.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »
Nancy,
These were DSS repops for a K1? I had disregarded them because others had said they'd last about as long as the originals ~ 1 yr. I'm going to look at them harder now. I like DSS stuff. What did you replace? Old K1 shocks?

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
Just checked the DSS site. The K1 shocks for 370 are genuine honda parts and have the correct black top and black interior to the spring like the originals for the K1. The picture you show has chrome tops and chrome internals. What am I missing here?

Offline nancy

• Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 03:33:54 pm »
Hi Guys - these DSS shocks are for K3. I don't think I care if they don't last as well as originals - I don't expect to be riding this 30 years from now. If I am - that'll be cool, but I'll be happy to have sprung for new springs!