Author Topic: Rusting forks under fork Ears, Prevention? 750K  (Read 672 times)

Offline Thunder

• Hot Shot
Rusting forks under fork Ears, Prevention? 750K
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:09:57 am »
Hi all

i am re-asembling a 750k, and after going over a couple of forks i have i see there is a tendency for the stanchions to rust under the headlight ears.
Has anyone got a solution to this other than constantly checking and re-assembling? I was thinking of winding an oil soaked rag around the stanchions , and fitting the "ears"over them.

What do you guys do?

TX
T

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
Re: Rusting forks under fork Ears, Prevention? 750K
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:23:54 am »
Mine weren't too bad. The rust I thought was from the holes in the triple tree clamps. I cleaned the rust with fine steel wool and then lubed the joints with white grease. It was a little slippery to get back together but tightened to the proper torque, they are holding just fine. I won't know if it made any difference until I take them apart I guess. The insides of the headlight ears were rusty as well so I painted those with aluminum colored rust paint.

Is your bike covered to protect it from rain?
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Thunder

• Hot Shot
Re: Rusting forks under fork Ears, Prevention? 750K
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:52:43 am »
Is it covered? ;After all the time and money ive sunk into her she WILL be, even if i gotta drag her up three flights of stairs. ;D ;D
I painted the insides of my fork ears as well(rusted), i have a couple of sets of good stanchions that i will use(no rust), but i like the idea of greasing them under the ears.
Will try it

TX
T