Author Topic: Powder coating or DIY rattlecan or Buy a compressor and spray paint  (Read 8480 times)

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: Powder coating or DIY rattlecan or Buy a compressor and spray paint
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »
What do you guys think of PreVal as opposed to a can?

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-267-Paint-Spray-Gun/dp/B0000AY19M/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_2

?? Your joking, right?

Nope. The main advantage, other than the better nozzle and that you can clean it, is the possibility of mixing up or using some custom color. Planet blue comes to mind  ;D

So who's used it and what did you think?

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Costs like $3.99
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:11:02 pm by Iggy »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 07:09:21 pm »
I am also curious about the POR paint.  Oh boy, this means I need to actually clean out the garage to fit a paint booth in there somewhere...

I think I will end up getting the turbine setup because you never know when you might need to paint something.

BTW, Terry, your bike looks absolutely stunning; if only mine can look as good.  Right now, its in the process of dismantling because I've been busy with making the final edits on a couple of my papers.

Also, how do people typically prep their surfaces (particularly unusual surfaces) without sand or soda blasting them?  Just chemical strip and sand?

Thanks mate, and as far as prep on a frame goes, the OEM paint was very thin, so a light sand to remove any rust and give the new paint a "key" (making sure that you "feather out" any big scratches) and a degrease with "prep wash", prep solve" etc before applying a thin "mist" coat of etch primer is all you'll need. Generally, there's no need to take a frame back to bare metal unless it's been previously painted by a toothless tard with a 6 inch paint brush! ;D  
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

laminarflowone

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 06:33:21 am »
Harbor Freight Tax and Shipping gets expensive, so I might want to Amazon Prime this order...

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV3000-Spray-Station-Sprayer/dp/B000E24CDA/ref=sr_1_110?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1279718629&sr=1-110

http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-turbine-spray-system-66297.html

Any thoughts  compared to the one Harbor Freight offers?

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:24 am »
I dunno, I'm not sure that a $100 all-in-a-box system would be all that great.
Usually when you go that cheap all you get is cheap and then you realize you should have shelled out a bit more moolah for something better.

I think if you do some wet sanding between coats you can do as good a job as Terry did on his with rattle can.

"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »
If you can make it to a HF store you can use the 30 % off coupon available to print online. Couldn't find much difference between the two other than the HF unit is aluminum and the Earlex is plastic. The HF one looks to be a new model with no alternative tip sizes and the Earlex 3000 looks to be discontinued but has other tip sizes available. As a general rule, I prefer to strip part down to bare metal using aircraft stripper a fiber wheel and a wire brush. Then recoat using modern paint and materials. No offense Terry but seriously, acrylic lacquer sucks, auto paint has come a long way the past 30 years I would personally recommend using a single stage (i.e. no clear needed) acrylic enamel (w/ hardener) or urethane enamel job over some 2 part epoxy primer. The urethane being a much better choice IMO, newer technology harder and more durable. Do it once and do it right. Your paint job will be tough as nails and look great doing it. Good luck with your choice.

-Wildcat

laminarflowone

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »
Thanks, the harborfreight one looks 10x more heavy duty.  The nearest harbor freight is ~45min away, so I either have to make my moped 10x more reliable, or bribe my house mate to drive me by paying for his gas or a free lunch...What is this about the 30% off coupon???!??

I will try to look for urethane enamel with 2 part epoxy primer from tcp or eastwood.  I'm thinking pearl black maybe?

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 07:50:48 pm »
I don't know about the 30% online coupon, but I'd like too ;D

You can find a 20% off coupon in most bike magazines - chopper ones for sure, but some of the others as well.  Also sign up for thier e-mail specials and you get coupons as well.  Also wait for the part you want to go on sale and then use the coupon.  They'll try and tell you that you can't combine a sale price and a coupon, but you can.  Talk to the manager.  It's not written anywhere that you can't combine them.  (you can not however combine cut out or e-mailed 'coupon' and then 20% off).

Good luck,

Matt

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:44 am »
@KB02, if you don't mind me asking, but approximately how much did it cost for the automotive paint setup, minus air compressor?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. The sprayer itself I got with "reward points" from my work. I checked it out online and found similar ones for around $40-$60. The more you spend the higher the quality (in theory). I spent around $150 in paint (Two colors and a clear).

As for this:
What do you guys think of PreVal as opposed to a can?

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-267-Paint-Spray-Gun/dp/B0000AY19M/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_2

I have used these to paint a visor on my old Cherokee, a tail pan on an old truck, and my first Cafe racer bike. ORANGE PEAL CITY!!!!! If you can, avoid them.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 05:13:32 am »
No offense Terry but seriously, acrylic lacquer sucks, auto paint has come a long way the past 30 years I would personally recommend using a single stage (i.e. no clear needed) acrylic enamel (w/ hardener) or urethane enamel job over some 2 part epoxy primer. The urethane being a much better choice IMO, newer technology harder and more durable. Do it once and do it right. Your paint job will be tough as nails and look great doing it. Good luck with your choice.

-Wildcat

Thanks mate, and no offense taken, I painted cars and bikes semi-professionally for many years, and you're quite right, acrylic laquer is nowhere as durable as most modern paint mediums. I wouldn't advise using a/l for use on frames as it tends to chip easily, but there are plenty of "rattle can" type paints that will do the job fine, and inexpensively. When I painted the gold bike I was looking for an "original" look for the tank and sidecovers, and as I already had a few rattle cans of the candy gold acrylic laquer on the shelf, it was a no-brainer as to what I was going to use.

Having said all that, a good acrylic laquer finish is easy to apply (particularly for a novice painter) and will last many years if looked after with a good wax every now and then. Honda used acrylic laquer on all of the SOHC4's, and even though they cut corners to keep costs down (like not using any kind of primer under the candy base color and insufficient clear coat to adequately protect the color coat) there are still quite a few good examples of SOHC4's out there in original paint. The other benefit with acrylic laquer is that it doesn't contain anywhere near the levels of dangerous cancer causing carcinogens that most modern automotive paints do. (with the possible exception of water based paints, I don't know much about them) Cheers, Terry. ;D    
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 05:49:55 am »
Have you talked with Jeff at Rainier Powdercoating, he is down in the Sumner area.  Does good work and is inexpensive compared to other local shops I have used.  A few of us on the forum have used him with good results.

(253)332-8179 Jeff (Rainier Powdercoating)

-Tweak

Subscribed. I got a $500 quote here in Seattle as well so it's probably reasonable - rims, fenders included, no exhaust, no tank.

On the fence about enamel paints. Did my triple tree up in appliance enamel and it's held up just fine to use and UV so far - 1.5 years - unlike my powdercoated from the manufacturer bars which have faded.

Maybe some folks will chime in with some definitive info.

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 06:10:49 am »
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

laminarflowone

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:50 am »
Ahhh!! I just got another quote from the local powder coater and he said to do the engine and exhaust high temp silicone and the rest black or any other one stage color would be 300 to 400 depending on the paint he had to remove...

Seeing that the HVLP Turbine will cost ~133, rust encapsulator = 35, 2K Ceramic Chassis Black Gloss Qt = 45, Eastwood's Ceramic Engine Paint Qt Universal Aluminum = 33,Satin Silver High Temp Coating Kit Pint for exhaust = 70, and Eastwood Candeez Vino Rojo Qt and Activator = 50...The project will cost ~366 dollars.  What are the experts' thought?

Also, this may be slightly off-topic, but I noticed some 'cracks' in the engine casing.  Is this serious?  I am on a budget, but I've always been a firm believer in 'do it once the right way' saves more money that skipping corners in the long run.  Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:54:53 am by laminarflowone »

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
As long as they are not large and weeping mega oil they are probably just stress cracks, no biggie.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 06:19:22 am »
20 % coupon my bad, unless that quote includes paint on your your tank headlight side covers your better off gettin your own setup. You'll never get a smooth polished finish from PC by the nature of it. Good luck.