Well I made my intro post a little while back and have followed/read a number of build threads so I figured I better start one of my own for the current front burner project.
I picked up a new project a couple weekends ago. 72 CB450 that has been in storage for some 20 plus years. I have known of this bike for a number of years as I have been friends with the previous owner for close to a decade. I would see the bike when I visited him on the other side of the state. He had grand plans of rebuilding it and getting back into riding but he never got it done. He had had the bike in his garage for 18 or so years and it had been in storage for a few years before he acquired it. I guess he finally realized it needed to be in the hands of someone that would build it up. Since I happened to have something of similar value he really wanted in trade and a deal was struck and I made the trip to pick it up.
I got it stripped down somewhat in the first week or so and hope to pull the engine from the frame and get the rest of the suspension off within the next few weeks. At the moment I am only getting about two or so hours a week to work on it but that should pick up quickly.
Anyway my goal is to not cut up any stock parts since the bike is 100% complete. Some of the original parts are not usable without a fair bit of work and re-chrome. I will be cleaning up the stock bits and storing them. I am going to do a mild Street Tracker style look with it I think without cutting up the original bike. If I have to cut anything up it will be on ebay spare parts or stuff I fabricate myself.
On to the pictures to document the before.
Loaded up in the Truck to bring back to the shop. Some of these photos are not that great since all I had that day was a camera phone and funky lighting.
On the table in the shop going over what was ahead of me. Again somewhat crappy pictures, sorry.
Going over the spares and extra bits that were included in the deal. Spare set of carbs, spare ignition set with a relocating plate, spare finned cover, and all the original tool kit.
The start of the tear down process.
Stored parts on a pallet and waiting to sort, clean, refurbish.
More rust that I would like on the silencers.
More rust that I would like to see on the fenders.
More rust than I would like to see in the tank.
Much corrosion and oxidation on the painted aluminum parts and covers.