Author Topic: Am I asking too much?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
  • "Don't plan vast projects with half-vast ideas"
Am I asking too much?
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »
So, while I'm (slowly but surely) finishing up the work on my engine, I'm contemplating my next exhaust.  I can't use the stock 4-4 that came with m '73 cb500 as it has the typical rust holes at the bottom where the headers meet the mufflers.  With that in mind, and the price being forever relevant, I'm looking at other options.  I LOVE the look of the megaphones, but not enough to shell out $800+ for a new set. The other thing is that in my test run, those rust holes made her sound nice and throaty.  I like the thought of drag pipes (especially at $279 on ebay!) but I don't want to lose that look.  So, FINALLY, my proposal:

Is it at all feasable to buy a half decent set of megaphones from ebay and gut out the majority of the insides?

Working my way from the rear-most portion of the muffler, all I want to remove is the very end cap and the next two baffle exchanges with the exchanges.  See the MSpaint to get the idea.  Is it doable?  Would I have to split the mufflers at the seam, or can I remove that cap at the end and get everything from there? I suppose it doesn't have to be 100% cleared, so long as it doesn't muffle as much.  Am I trying to have my cake and eat it, too?  Is there maybe somebody out there who makes an aftermarket for just this purpose??

"Whatever it is, I swear I didn't do it!"

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Am I asking too much?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:05:13 am »
umm,yes but itll be noisy and will require some jet fiddling.your talking a 4 to 4 system?that looks stock but louder?

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:47:12 am »
umm,yes but itll be noisy and will require some jet fiddling.your talking a 4 to 4 system?that looks stock but louder?

Exactly.  I don't mind some jet fiddling.  I might be a PITA, but I think it'll be worth it.

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:12:16 am »
It'll sound like garbage. IMO, of course.

It will have a very tinny cheap sound with all that sheet metal and no support or anything muffling the sound. Loud and like it's going to fall apart.

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »
You don't think the remaining megaphone would act as a resonator?  I suppose the only way to find out would be to experiment.  Perhaps I can patch up my trashed exhaust, gut them, and see how they sound.  When I do this (probably in a month or so) I'll post a video.

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »
It'll sound like garbage. IMO, of course.

It will have a very tinny cheap sound with all that sheet metal and no support or anything muffling the sound. Loud and like it's going to fall apart.

OK, so much for a month.  I'll be lucky if I'm done with everything I want to do by next spring.  Anyways, what about a glass pack?  If I'm gutting the insides, I may as well do whatever I want, right?  I'm thinking I could just get a core that is close to fitting and pack it with fiberglass.  Should still be moderately loud, but with the appearance I'm looking for, right?

Sorry for beating a dead horse, guys, I'm just really torn between the two.   :(

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:18:01 pm »
self-righteous bump in hopes for more opinions.

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline HawaiiMike

• Enthusiast
    • Hawaii realtor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
You sure you want 4 into 4?  I have a MAC 4 into 1, chrome with some rust.  You can unbolt the baffle if you want it louder.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll take some pics.

bollingball

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:11:25 pm »
Just do what you want to. Different strokes for different folks.It doesn't matter to anyone else but you and your dog. Hope you have a dog they are the only ones who really listen to you.

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:10 pm »
you can make glass packs, I think they sound perfect and are easy to build.  A more modern looking aftermarket exhaust is just an outer tube an inner perforated tube with exhaust fiberglass packing to muffle sound. The more packing and softer it is is how you alter the decibels so basically you can use just about anything solid for an outer tube. Make ends or find ends etc and go from there. Attach it all up and enjoy. Simplified of course but not too hard.
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 03:31:49 am »
If I find a cheap enough set of decent used HM323's I'm gonna try it.  Whenever I do, I will post pictures and videos!  Until then, may we all chase our dreams.   ;D

'73 CB500 - Sally