Author Topic: NOS Kerker headers and RC Engineering ported/polished head for CB550 w/PHOTOS  (Read 4381 times)

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
I don't know a lot about CB550 parts so I was wondering what this setup might be worth. The pipes have no rust, blemishes or dents. Amazing condition for 30 year old pipes. The head is so clean you could eat off it.Ported and polished by RC Engineering  and intake manifold matched to intake ports.

Mike

View down intake manifold matching up to ported intake.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:09:39 am by cavebear »
1975 MotoMartin 836cc
1976 Rickman 1150cc Turbo
1977 Seeley 890cc + 1/4 stroke
3 parts bikes,1970K0 to 1978ss

Get paid to do it,it's work; pay to do it,it's a hobby

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
No thoughts on these parts?
1975 MotoMartin 836cc

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
It's 550 stuff Cavey, not as interesting as 750 stuff, I guess? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Brandotheamazing

• Enthusiast
Hey, I'm interested in your stuff if youre selling. PM me with what you're looking to get for them! (I'm about to start a motor build for my 550, and that head sounds like it'll fit the bill, same with the header)
-Brendan

Offline cb650PK

• Hot Shot
Pics please.Now. :)
S CB750 na vecne casy a nikdy jinak.

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
intersted in the head too, btw.... :D
I like berries.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
$500 would be a good deal.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
Gentlemen, I need to clear up a misconception about these parts I have just purchased.These Parts Are Not For Sale.

While something is worth what you'll pay for it, I was trying to get an idea from the 550 guys what a NOS RC head and possibly the last set of 30 year old mint NOS kerker headers available might go for under current conditions. I'm a 750 guy but do have a very nice 1978 550K with 3997 miles on it that I was going to put these parts and others on. However I've decided to ride it stock for a season and pick up a 550F to hot rod. had just bought those parts. Pictures to follow.

So, here's the question: NOS RC Engineering ported and polished head with intake manifold radiused to match ports; Cost $150
                                      NOS 550 Kerker headers from the '70s, a time machine part with deep luster perfect chrome,
                                      and no scratches or dents.  Cost: $600

As that great biker Howie Mandell would say- Deal or no Deal?

Thanks for your imput gentleman

1975 MotoMartin 836cc

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Breathed on head if done right: Smokin' Deal
Kerkers: Deal  and possibly a Smokin' Deal

No comparison to Mac as the Kerkers will hand them their lunch with stock motors and even more so on properly tuned and massaged motors (performance build)
You do mean complete Kerker exhaust don't you?  Not just the headers. Otherwise, not so much of a deal.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
The Kerker is a complete system. Back in the 70s there were only three pipes tested by magazines that actually increased power on 750s especially when a cam was added. Kerker, Winning Performance and Yoshimura. These are the only pipes I use on my bikes and I've found they outperformed my friends setups identical except for the pipes.
1975 MotoMartin 836cc

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
FWIW smoking deal on the head, i would have passed on the kerker, the newer versions are 2.5" at the collecter, vs. the old 2". do not lose the baffle, its a #$%* to find one that fits right. cant say anything good about the chrome either, mine peeled off in chunks... now its black  ;D