Author Topic: Practically free fork seal setting tool for CB550 and other 35mm fork seals  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my forks, what a nightmare! I pumped out nothing but water so far. I dried and used PB blaster to displace any remaining water and let the parts dry. So in the process of ruining the first fork seal trying to install it. I looked around my basement for something that will fit tight but still slip inside the lower tube.

Voila! a piece of 1 1/2" ID ABS black plastic pipe fits like a glove. I cut a piece about 12" long with the end perfectly square using my chop saw, sanded it smooth so not to damage the new seals I have ordered and coated it with light lubricant. I also found an end cap in my plumbing box. The second seal went in perfectly using the tool with a few light taps with a rubber mallet. It was all free for me but probably cost a couple bucks at the hardware store.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
That's what I use, too. :)

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
great info!

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Be sure to slop plenty of red grease onto your new seals, as well as the sliders after you've cleaned them. Your seals will slide in easily and quickly without damage.  I also recommend greasing up the top of the seal and the snap ring groove before the snap ring goes back in place, and after its in there slap some more grease in there before pumping the fork a few times. Also the best dust seal trick I know is to cut the lower lip off the dust seal with a razor blade and totally pack the dust seal with red grease, it'll slip into place very easily and the grease thats trapped inside will prevent fork stiction as well as extend the life of your new seals by keeping more dirt and water out of there.  There will be some residual grease on the tube for a short while but it will stop appearing after a few miles.

Cheers