Author Topic: Ton-Up Chicago is a joke, read why.....  (Read 9031 times)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Ton-Up Chicago is a joke, read why.....
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:08 am »
So most of u know that me and the other two guys that started Half Fast Chicago were once members of the Chicago chapter of TonUp.
Long story short we left for differences with the TUC chapter president Larry. Everything from how he wanted us to dress more "Rocker" at our events (no gym shoes, only dark colored jeans, etc), from #$%*ing about how I bought a Ducati Monster over a Triumph Thruxton, to literally yelling at us because we were "spotted" at a bar drinking with our club shirts on. The biggest reason why we decided to leave was the mismanagement of club funds by Larry. TUC's Mods Vs Rockers party is HUGE, bringing in 1000's of bikes at $15 a head for entry, yet the club would always be broke. When asked where all the money had gone their was NEVER a clear answer, yet Larry would come up with a newly purchased Norton ? This is all water under the bridge now because they are doing their own thing and so are we, but now Larry has gone too far and I want EVERYONE to know about it...

Go check out the TonUp website ---> http://www.tonupchicago.com/
Did you read what it said ? The website was removed due to lack of payment for web hosting by our good friend Larry Fletcher.
L O N G story short Half Fast Chicago’s good friend Remey who owns Broken Cherry had (from day one) been doing the website design/hosting/shirt printing/etc for TonUp. Larry of TUC decided not to pay her for web hosting one month because "club funds were tight". Well, next month was the same excuse, but on top of not paying for the website he also couldn’t pay for the 100's of shirts he had made for this years Mods Vs. Rockers party. The next month it was the same but he also couldn’t pay for something else. So this has gone on for awhile and now the money he owes Remey is in the $1000's, so she decided to pull the plug on the clubs website...

Why am I sitting here on a Sunday morning telling all you guys this ? I just want everyone in the Chicago motorcycle community as well as everywhere else to know EXACTLY how TonUp Chicago is ran, by whom, and where your hard earned money is going if you go to their events, buy anything from them, or support them in anyway. Every dollar that Half Fast Chicago makes goes right back into the club's pot, for events or what not. NO ONE pockets a cent. Go up to Larry and ask him that same question and see what he has to say...

That is all, now get out and ride..

* This has been a public service announcement by ProTeal55 and in no way speaks for Half Fast Chicago or it's members. If you would like to checkout a COOL Motorcycle/social club with people that aren’t shady as hell visit http://www.halffastchicago.com, and make sure to have a great day !
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:05:31 pm by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline switchum

• Old Timer
    • Studio Switchum facebook page
Re: Ton-Up Chicago is a joke, read why.....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:59:22 am »
Sounds like clubs are all the same.

I hear almost exactly the same story here with a bicycle club.

Should start calling him "Short Change Larry" from now on.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:10:46 am »
I read it, but I think you'll get more people to read it if it's in a normal size font.  Large, bold type is difficult to read. 

Offline Speed King

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:31:52 am »
Club #$%* is all the same. A waste of time - the end result.

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:25:04 am »
Belonged to a couple of clubs over the years.  Left for the same basic reasons, politics, infighting, constant #$%*ing and money issues.  I figure anytime my hobby starts to act like my job and ceases to be fun and relaxing, it's time to either find another hobby or quit the club.  Haven't had the desire to join another club. 

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:02 am »
Sad thing this is not limited to clubs such as these. Few years ago I was in a dart league and the lower brackets were fun but you started getting higher up and suddenly it was SO serious. I mean some of the teams would use any little loophole in the book to win. It was really pathetic. Just play the damn GAME. Really, it is not like there were big money sponsorships are anything. A few crappy trophies and maybe 50 clams.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:25:13 am »
It either needs to be owned by someone and run as a business or there needs to be open books for all dues paying voting members.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:13:24 am »
I am a member of The Air Coolers.  We are a VW "gang". we call ourselves a game because we do away with all of the crap. We have no dues, no president (no real leaders of any kind), no real money. 
We meet, drink beer, hang out and we still manage to put on 2 shows a year in Dallas/Ft Worth and more with our other chapters.
I have been around the other clubs and thats why I am an Air Cooler Gang member
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:39 am »
Now that sounds pretty cool. :)

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:52:50 am »
I read it, but I think you'll get more people to read it if it's in a normal size font.  Large, bold type is difficult to read. 

I'm just the opposite.  I didn't have to squint to read it.  That, and I could feel the frustration ProTeal is having with it all.  I could tell he has an emotional attachment to TUC, or he wouldn't be so upset.  And all that came through.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:08 pm »
I'm just the opposite.  I didn't have to squint to read it.  That, and I could feel the frustration ProTeal is having with it all.  I could tell he has an emotional attachment to TUC, or he wouldn't be so upset.  And all that came through.

100% +1 (didn't need my glasses either.. :) ) and it's not only clubs..I'm a huge Frank Zappa fan, but the Mothers sued him when he broke up the band and told them they owed him a buncha money instead of getting a big payoff, like they were expecting after having played numerous sell out world wide concerts...
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

traveler

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »
My take:

no club.....jsut show up on Friday or Saturday night where everybody else does, and that's it.

If I want someone telling me what to do, I'll stay at work.

Just my .02

~Joe

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:24 pm »
I'm just the opposite.  I didn't have to squint to read it.  That, and I could feel the frustration ProTeal is having with it all.  I could tell he has an emotional attachment to TUC, or he wouldn't be so upset.  And all that came through.
i DEF. have no attachment to TonUp Chicago in anyway. I wrote what I did to inform other people of how this specific club is being ran, and to think twice about
atteding their events or buying their "swag". Becuase in the end ALL of it ends up in Mr. Larry Fletchers pockets. I also am pissed becasue Larry is screwin a good
friend of mine out of money and thats not cool in my book...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:59:03 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »
What I meant was not necessarily TUC, but the people.  And even if it's only one dude, it still is 'effed up.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

traveler

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:24 pm »
I'm just the opposite.  I didn't have to squint to read it.  That, and I could feel the frustration ProTeal is having with it all.  I could tell he has an emotional attachment to TUC, or he wouldn't be so upset.  And all that came through.
i DEF. have no attachment to TonUp Chicago in anyway. I wrote what I did to inform other people of how this specific club is being ran, and to think twice about
atteding their events or buying their "swag". Becuase in the end ALL of it ends up in Mr. Larry Fletchers pockets. I also am pissed becasue Larry is screwin a good

You can always go get the money out of him.  One way or the other.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »

You can always go get the money out of him.  One way or the other.

Believe me, I know

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »
No one person should have the control of the books in a club like that. I was the treasurer for a large 200+ member sports car club for two years. We had a member elected panel of officers, president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, comp director, and assistant comp director. The pres, vice pres, and treasurer all had signature access to the account. The treasurer had to submit a written report at the monthly business meeting. We had monthly events that had more than $2000 in cash flow and more than $30k in the bank. Never had any real issues although some of the treasurers were better than others at keeping good records and reports. You always wanted to follow a good treasurer if you took the job so you did not have to clean up the books from the get go.

It is not hard to do if folks act like adults once in a while.
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:30 pm »
Does this tie in with Do The Ton CafeRacer website somehow?

Years ago, I had a boss who extended in-house credit.  When someone was too far behind, he'd say, "Ernie- suit up".   So I'd go to where they worked in my leather jacket and in a loud voice, ask to see So-And-So- HE'S WAY BEHIND AND OWES US MONEY!" so other employees could hear me.   >:(  :o  8)

They always paid.   :-*   ;D
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:02:03 pm »
"TonUp Chicago " and "Do The Ton" have zero in common.
The DoTheTon guys are a good bunch of people, where the TonUp Chicago guys are a bunch of tools too worried about buying the right "vintage" scarf
that perfectly matches the pinstripe on their Triumph tank..

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »
Long time ago, I sold a bunch of mopar parts to a guy who was the president of the Sacramento Mopar Association, took a check with their name on it. A hot one. Messed up my bank accoount for a while, don't take checks from nobody I don't know anymore, no matter how "presidential"
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 06:55:04 pm »
I can't believe Fletch told you all how to dress. That's weak.

Offline switchum

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:32 pm »
the TonUp Chicago guys are a bunch of tools too worried about buying the right "vintage" scarf
that perfectly matches the pinstripe on their Triumph tank..

Hahahahahahahaha!!!  I feel sorry for those guys. My life is so much easier since I don't give a poo about what others think how I look when I ride. So do they shop together? meet at the mall at the certain time?  Do they hire wardrobe coordinators? 

You did the right move to leave them, buddy. 

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »
Did they want you to dress like this?

Offline switchum

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:45 pm »
Did they want you to dress like this?

Hahahahahahaha!!!  He should replace Larry!! His dedication is quite touching!

cb750dude

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:46 pm »
DO THE TON!! YEA!!!!! THATS WHERE ITS AT!! Love everybody on there. And I know alot of them are Half Fast too!!! Wish I was a little closer to Chicago,And Id be a Half Faster too!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:14:29 pm by cb750dude »