Author Topic: How to remove cigarette smoke odor from a leather jacket?  (Read 23906 times)

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
How to remove cigarette smoke odor from a leather jacket?
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
I just bought (sight unseen) another vintage leather motorcycle jacket off Craigslist. It is 35-40 years old, Sears leather shop, very heavy steerhide, black Perfercto style jacket in fantastic condition except it absolutely REEKS of cigarette smoke. The price was right ($60) and it fits like a glove. It must have sat in a smokey Wisconsin bar for the last 35 years until the smoking ban finally went into effect. It is so bad could not bring it into my house and my car smelled this morning after the jacket was inside for 15 minutes. Yuck.

I read up on this online, but am looking for some practical advice from one who has actually successfully eliminated odors from leather. So far I wiped it off with vinegar and water solution, packed it in a thick garbage bag with two boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda. Also I bought two cans of Natural Magic odor eliminating gel and some Febreeze for the interior liner and am going to pack everything into a large Rubbermaid storage container and let it sit for a few days.

My local dry cleaner and leather cleaning companies said they could only do so much.

Thoughts or suggestions?
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

CB750 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52551.0

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: How to remove cigarette smoke odor from a leather jacket?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:29 pm »
start smoking?

sorry I got nothing. the arm and hammer sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:33:24 pm »
 I had an old Schott Perfecto that wasn't quite that bad, but....

Try stuffing some dryer sheets in the sleeves, pockets, etc.
 And air it out. Hang it outside in the sun and the fresh air for as long as you can. Turn it inside out every now and then. It took quite a while, but mine eventually stopped stinking. Leather conditioner can't hurt, either.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline gmonkey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »
I wouldn't use febreeze, I think that stuff just covers up smells.  It'll just smell like cigarette smoke AND febreeze.

Tie it to the back of your bike while you ride to air it out more.
Big pile of 76 CB550F parts
'98 FZR600 purring like a chain-smoking kitten!

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:57:07 pm »
I'm for hanging it out on the line. Plenty of sunshine and breeze. A bit of good leather conditioner wouldn't hurt since you'll be drying it out a lot. Leather can be washed in soap and water before the line treatment although it will be stiff for a while when dry.
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »
Thanks guys. I agree, I do not want it to smell like Febreeze and cig smoke, I am trying eliminate, not cover, the bad smell.

I may try dryer sheets in a no/low heat clothes dryer with tennis balls as suggested elsewhere, but I absolutely hate the smell of drier sheets, clothes softeners etc.

I cannot wait until it smells like old leather, high octane and a bit of motor oil with a hint of IPA spilled down my drinking arm...
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
Thanks guys. I agree, I do not want it to smell like Febreeze and cig smoke, I am trying eliminate, not cover, the bad smell.

I may try dryer sheets in a no/low heat clothes dryer with tennis balls as suggested elsewhere, but I absolutely hate the smell of drier sheets, clothes softeners etc.

I cannot wait until it smells like old leather, high octane and a bit of motor oil with a hint of IPA spilled down my drinking arm...
If you care about this jacket you will not put it in the dryer with tennis balls, that is for down parkas. The leather was impregnated with oils and waxes to keep it supple and preserve it. You do not want to take the last of those treatments out of it. Heat, soap and water are no better. Airing it out will work well, but leave it in the shade not the Sun.

You will  have to man up and smell the jacket to figure out where the smell is really coming from, I would bet it is in the lining material and not the leather itself. That can be washed with a good detergent and air dried.

To get the nice Leather smell, get some Feibings Leather Balm from Tandy or another leather crafting outfit.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:03 pm »
I'm betting that the smell will never totally go away.  I have a fireman's helmet (leather/fabric liner inside a hard plastic shell) that was my dad's and hasn't been used since the early 70s  Even that little bit of leather and fabric has held onto smoke smell all of these years and just never seems to dissipate.

I'm with the others....let it air out as much as possible (maybe hang it in your garage?) and apply a good leather treatment.  Maybe that would help to seal some of the smell in.  Like someone else said above, if it has a fabric liner, that's probably what is holding onto most of the smell.  I've had some success with febreeze and fabric.....my newest car was owned for a short time by a smoker and it smelled of cigarette smoke.  Found most of the remaining smell was coming from the headliner and combated it with febreeze repeatedly.  It's mostly gone except for a slight remnant every now and then on a really super hot day.

One more thing to try..... borrow (rent?) an ozone machine and somehow put the jacket in an enclosed small space with it (not in your living space) and let it run for a period of time.  I know car dealerships do this to rid used cars of cigarette odors and it's pretty effective.  This was done to my MINI that I have now and it took 75% of the smell away from the interior before I got the car....the rest I combated myself pretty effectively as outlined above.  
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

traveler

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »
pine sol

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:31:13 pm »
Murphy's oil soap.... and AIR ....  then you might stick it in a room with a deodorizing machine.....

Offline Kframe

• Hot Shot
  • Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:35 pm »
There are places that can dry clean leather.
I think that's your only option.

Any store-bought treatments are just cover ups, they won't remove the odor.

My cat pissed on one of my jackets once, >:(, and he's got that really nasty male-cat urine.
$50 and three weeks later my jacket came back looking and smelling like new, with new black polish and everything.
Even after several hours riding in 80°F plus, I cannot detect any pee smell.

Good luck, -K
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, ARK'd, Pods, TOR's, Napoleon's, Innovate G5 Air/Fuel Gauge, Ignition Relocation by D9, Stebel Nautilus, Avon Roadriders
1984 Honda Shadow VT700c, Stock
1974 Honda CB550K, In rehab
1986 Honda Helix

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
  • Surviving the Apocylipse quite well.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »
+1 Ozone machine. Ionized air should remove the particles.

Did you know Febreeze is just sugar water? I can't remember why it works just now - but I was sitting in a meeting with some fabric care people at an appliance company and one of them turned to me and told me that. I was pretty shocked.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:14:03 pm »
+1 Ozone machine. Ionized air should remove the particles.

Did you know Febreeze is just sugar water? I can't remember why it works just now - but I was sitting in a meeting with some fabric care people at an appliance company and one of them turned to me and told me that. I was pretty shocked.
From the Fabreeze MSDS sheet

Ingredients include: Contains water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, fragrance
Hazardous Ingredients as defined by OSHA, 29 CFR 1910.1200.
Chemical
Name
Common
Name
CAS
No.
Recommended Limits Concentration LC50/LD50
Ethyl alcohol Ethanol 64-17-5 OSHA Z-1 PEL: 1000 ppm
(1900mg/m3)
ACGIH TWA: 1000 ppm
(1880 mg/m3)
NIOSH REL: 1000 ppm
(1900 mg/m3)
1-5% LD50=13 mL/kg
(oral, rats)
LC50=N/A

http://www.hescoinc.com/msds/pg11828.pdf

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 01:25:03 am »
There are effective odor eliminating products..liquids and sprays basically..that the fire restoration people use to get the smell out of curtains..furniture..and yes..leather upholstery.

I'd look in the phone book..or on-line..for fire restoration companies and/or products.  I know they have them..and that they work (again..sprayed-on usually)..as I've used them myself when working for a fire restoration outfut years ago.

Maybe that's what a couple of others posting here were referring to also.

Cheers,

Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline Cqyqte

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:11:06 am »
Put the jacket on and ride real fast, and it won't matter except for the people riding behind you!

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 07:05:09 pm »
Murphy's oil soap.... and AIR ....  then you might stick it in a room with a deodorizing machine.....

Murphy's oil soap is about the best thing to clean leather. It leaves it smelling fresh and won't pull the oils and waxes out of the leather which dries it out.

Wash the jacket by hand (maybe several times if it's real bad) and leave it to dry....but not in the sun  ;).

Follow that up by massaging some good quality mink oil into the leather....let that sit a while...then buff the excess oil off.

That's about the best your going to be able to do mate.

Matt.
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline zanorak

• Enthusiast
  • Surviving the Apocylipse quite well.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »
Yeah BobbyR! (love the girls by the way!)

"odor eliminator derived from corn" is probably corn syrup! I was thinking about it today - the sugars must crystalize around stuff and keep the odor in.

Somebody once told me to use shampoo because leather is basically SKIN but I never tried it.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:10 pm »
Bought a leather vest from the goodwill that smelled like it had been in a fire or someone stood next to a campfire for a couple days, hung it in my closet and it made my other clothes smell smokey. wiped it down with a clean wet sponge and left it outside for about a week, maybe two, can't smell the smoke now. Nicotine clings to everything, a good wipedown with a slightly damp sponge, maybe with some Murphy's (great stuff) in the water too would be a good idea..but don't "soak" the leather..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline switchum

• Old Timer
    • Studio Switchum facebook page
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:14 pm »
  I once was a smoker and all of my leather jackets and a vest smell of cig smoke. I have been a non smoker for over 3 years and I hate the smell of smoke now. I don't even want to ride behind smokers...I tried everything I could think of , without damaging the jackets, to get rid of the smell, but it was no use.

I heard on NPR one time that you should not buy a house if the former residents were smokers; it is still hazardous to young children and never ever get rid of the smell. Kinda like a meth lab, I guess.  

I keep my jackets as a reminder of smoking days but I could see you get annoyed since the smoking was done by others.  I am sorry but if you really hate the smell, you might have to get rid of the jacket. Treat it like it is infested by ticks or something.

Treat yourself with a brand new leather jacket and forget about the stinky one; chalk it up as a lesson is the way to go. I believe you will feel much better that way.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:51:12 am by switchum »

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:31 am »
So what's working????

Did ya get it fixed?

I also am enjoying the non smoker parts of this....    I smoked for 40 years...3-4 packs a day in the last couple of years...  quit 2 yrs ago... ( got on a bike and rode for 3 days... and never tried to quit... just quit )   honestly..  Smoke smells good to me... rarely does it smell bad... once in a while I catch a whiff of one's that stinks... but mostly it's a sweet smell and a fine memory....     Oh and I don't recommend quitting...  frankly when someone wants to actually quit they will.... that simple... all the hounding in the world won't effect their will power.... so let it be....

K

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 06:16:36 am »
 I once was a smoker and all of my leather jackets and a vest smell of cig smoke. I have been a non smoker for over 3 years and I hate the smell of smoke now. I don't even want to ride behind smokers...I tried everything I could think of , without damaging the jackets, to get rid of the smell, but it was no use.

I heard on NPR one time that you should not buy a house if the former residents were smokers; it is still hazardous to young children and never ever get rid of the smell. Kinda like a meth lab, I guess.  

I keep my jackets as a reminder of smoking days but I could see you get annoyed since the smoking was done by others.  I am sorry but if you really hate the smell, you might have to get rid of the jacket. Treat it like it is infested by ticks or something.

Treat yourself with a brand new leather jacket and forget about the stinky one; chalk it up as a lesson is the way to go. I believe you will feel much better that way.

Good luck.

The reason ex smokers hate the smell of smoke is that it kicks the urge back in at some level. Once and addict always an addict. Ex smokers are no different than any ex drunk or junkie.

I doubt I would get my info from NPR on buying an ex smokers house. It is BS, there are more toxic things in the house and yard than some old nicotine residue.

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:46:44 am »
I hate cigarettes and the smell of smoke and watched my mom die from smoking.

So far baking soda and odor eliminating gels have have lessened the smell. I have wiped it several times with vinegar and water and will try Murphy's Oil soap today and hang it outside since it is very breezy. I rode for an hour last night with the jacket on unzipped so air can flow trough and needed to take a shower after I got home.

Stay tuned and thanks for the suggestions.

Offline gmonkey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:26 am »
Put it in a big fridge box with one of those filterless ionic air purifiers running full blast.  Same as airing it out outside but can be done day and night.  A purifier is a handy thing to have in general and the one I run 24/7 next to the litter box (idiot cat doesn't like to bury its crap) doesn't use all that much juice.
Big pile of 76 CB550F parts
'98 FZR600 purring like a chain-smoking kitten!

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:24 am »
Don't think hanging it outside for a day will make much difference, breezy or not, I left my vest outside 24/7 for more than a week, it's been awhile, but I'm thinking like 3-4 weeks? and it has considerable less surface area than a coat and my vest has comparatively minimal lining..not to mention the sticky clingy nature of nicotine as opposed to wood smoke/house fire smoke or whatever it was..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 11:31:48 am »
i have a ozone generator.... and let me tell you, skunk or cig, it works . My fiancee quit a few years back (i still smoke) so no more smoking inside. everything in the house smelled like smoke. took all her clothes
(leather jackets included) piled them into one closet, and let the ozone m/c run for about an hour. voila, everything smelled like nothing, and i mean nothing. we also use them in my hotel for when people smoke in non-smoking rooms.... works like a charm, expensive as hell though. if you know someone that works in a hotel, they might have access to one....