Author Topic: My cheap piggyback reservoir shocks from ebay  (Read 24731 times)

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
My cheap piggyback reservoir shocks from ebay
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:39 pm »
Well, I was a little bit intrigued by the look of piggyback reservoir shocks from china that I saw in ebay.
So for $150.- a set shipped I said: Let's gamble.
When they arrived I found them too short eye to eye so I had a machine shop make me a set of adapters for the lower eye.
I've installed them today so the comparison ride and opinions will come tomorrow.
Gaucho

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: My cheap piggyback reservoir shocks from ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:11 pm »
Well they look the business mate, so let us know how they work! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:43:20 pm »
I honestly hate the look of reservoir shocks and coming from China I can't imagine they're any good, or at least better than stock shocks. You must have another $100+ in machine shop charges.
This negativity aside, I hope your ride is much improved.
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:43:27 am »
They look very light for a 750, will be interested in your results.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:58:18 am »
I have a feeling that with those springs the ride might be rather harsh.. But I have to say I like your cafe seat assembly.
Good luck!
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:11:48 am »
OK,
Back from a 175 mile ride.  :) A nice mix of really crappy city streets, nice and smooth city streets and highway.
They never bottomed out, they are not any harsher than the Progressive Suspension shocks I had installed before.
Now the Caveat: 1) I didn't buy them to improve the handling, I bought them for the looks. I know, I know, what a frigging poser. Truth be told, when I want impeccable handling I jump on my Aprilia Tuono.
2) Yes, you are right, I spent some money at the machine shop. $120.- bucks to be precise. Did you check the price of a set of racing shocks for these bikes?
3) This shocks are rebuildable, there are threads in the DTT website on how to do it. So even when they came from China they are not Bottom of the barrel useless crap.
I couldn't be happier, I'm getting closer to the point in which I can take the whole bike apart and paint it and chrome it the way I like.  ;D
Gaucho

Offline Gaither

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB550F
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
Gaucho

FWIW

Isn't it great that we can all have options according to our own personal taste.

It's your bike and your money and you weren't reluctant to spend it. "What you want" is always worth more [and, generally costs more]. That's the way I feel about the small Shoei saddlebags on the 550 - while most folks don't like "baggers" at all. 

Spending another $120 to get 'em on the bike properly just indicates your determination to "have it your way" regardless of cost. Gotta admire you for that. IMO, you made 'em look good on the bike - including the "adaptors" [well designed].

Glad it rode out to suit you. [Hey,that is a nice seat!]

May we all ride safely with a wide grin.

Gaither ('77 CB550F)

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »
Nice looking set up, Who was the seller.

Offline rangelov

• Enthusiast
  • The Dual Disc Conversion Speedometer Driver
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »
Were these shocks sold as a replacement for the CB750K?

Did they have the correct shock ends on them?

What was the center of eye to eye length?

Were they better than the stock Honda shocks?

Seller link, please.

I'm asking because they are nice.  I would like to get a set of shocks that are bit shorter than stock at reasonable price with decent performance and road manners.

Thanks, Dimitar

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76835
-----------------------------------------------
CB750K4, Boss maroon metallic, 836cc, RC Engrg 4 into 1, Forks by Frank, air assisted front forks,  JC Whitney 16" rear.

Offline Dunstall_74

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:00 am »
Good looking shocks. Lets see the other side of the bike....curious about that exhaust ;D Also, Is that a '77 or '78?  I'm riding a '78 right now and not sure if I'm gonna stay with the drop center rims.  Anyhow, Cool bike.
''It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas.''
—President George W. Bush, Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »
Wow, so many questions. I feel special now :)
Just got back from Sanibel Island with the wife and the dog.
I promise I'll answer all the questions.
First the easy ones:
These shocks are sold for Yamaha VMax. They are probably an inch too short for our bikes. Mine is a K8.
The particular brand of my socks is NTC. They started manufacturing mountain bike shocks.
I'll post some pics of the right side tomorrow, I'm running a Mac 4-1.
Gaucho

Offline Dunstall_74

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:26 pm »
Cool. I think a set of these would look nice on the cb550 I'm gonna start tearing into. This set is up on ebay right now for 100 bucks.  Think I'll wait for something that already has proper clevis though  :) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-NTC-TWIN-SHOCKS-/130427109125?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5e0fbf05
''It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas.''

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Dunstall_74

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:06:32 am »
Those Ohlins are rad...The search is on!

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:51:26 am »
Don't want to side track this thread, but what exhaust is that? I'm switching to 4-in-to-1 and would love to keep my center stand.
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 04:09:04 pm »
Picture from the right, better view of the Mac 4-1.
The length of the original shocks was 13 1/2 eye to eye.

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:07 pm »
These are the clevis adapters that came with the kit.

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »
This is the one I made.

Offline rangelov

• Enthusiast
  • The Dual Disc Conversion Speedometer Driver
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 07:44:48 am »
It looks like your adapters are about 32mm or 1-1/4" longer than the supplied adapter.  How close am I?
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76835
-----------------------------------------------
CB750K4, Boss maroon metallic, 836cc, RC Engrg 4 into 1, Forks by Frank, air assisted front forks,  JC Whitney 16" rear.

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 05:08:57 am »
Pretty close, this is the blueprint I came up with. With the thread pitch I've left it to the machine shop to determine the right one. It's a weird one.
Gaucho

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
Re: My cheap piggyback reservoir shocks from ebay (updated)
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:41 am »
Now, after experiencing no issues at all with the previous set I've installed another one on my Kawasaki W1 project.  :)
This time I've used the single coil style, they are more than capable for the weight of the W1.
Gaucho

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:33 pm »
That's a nice old Kawasaki mate, don't chop it up, it'll always be worth a lot more money as a rare original classic than just another cafe racer. Cheers, Terry. ;)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gaucho

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:15 am »
I agree with you, that's why it will take very little to bring back this bike to original (and I have all the original parts).
Everything that you see mounted on the bike was done without hacking any of the original frame. The seat frame and front fender are a work in progress that's why they look so ugly, mounting the tank took some work but it's fine now.
The shocks were a drop in, without any mods. I installed Hondaman's ignition with Accel coils and also binned the original carb for a brand new Mikuni VM-32. The kickstart never makes it to the bottom and the engine is running and idling perfectly.
Now I'm in the process of fabricating new header pipes, bought a pre bent kit from Coneeng and they have an outstanding quality product, let's see how it comes out.  :)
Gaucho

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 05:31:30 am »
Well done mate, I've got no problems with "customizing", or perhaps "personalizing" a bike like that, as long as it can be returned to original. Cheers, Terry.  ;D

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
Like you Gaucho, I bought a pair of those POS shocks for looks. Put them on my Triumph Bonneville and it looked 10-15 mph faster.

Out for a ride, one of the Chinese wonders came apart at the clevis and spit the spring right off.  Rode it home and put the British OEM shocks back on.  My Bonnie tips the scales at about 325 lbs, wet.  I'd hate to see what loosing one side would do on a fat ass Honda 750.

It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.