Author Topic: Cheap valve spring compressor  (Read 6003 times)

Mattle78F2

Cheap valve spring compressor
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »
One day I was contemplating if I wanted to spend the cash to buy a valve spring compressor, and since I did't have that kind of cash on me I thought I could make one.  So I ran over to a hardware store and bought a 6" C clamp. When I got home I took the 4 grinder with a cutting blade to the top. I then cut a 1/2" long metal tube with a hack saw, and then cut it in half length ways to form a U shape and welded it to the C clamp. Sorry I don't have a pic.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: Cheap valve spring compressor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »
That's a good one mate, I did the same a few years ago, but I machined a "cup" from alloy round bar, that way I can still use it as a C clamp when I need to. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Mattle78F2

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:52:29 am »
Not bad never thought of that, but then again I didn't want to spend $90-$120 on one ya know.

Offline xedge4lifex

• Trillz McGillz
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:09 am »
washer
3 pieces of strap steel welded to a C channel
built over 20 heads, not one problem
took about 5 minutes to make
Wake up, look up, there's a warmth up there
a reminder of peace, a reason to care.

Offline 750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:01 am »
washer
3 pieces of strap steel welded to a C channel
built over 20 heads, not one problem
took about 5 minutes to make

Pics pics pics???

Offline bikebitzofvt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:32:57 am »
Both great ideas...  But here's an even cheaper one - just a little more time consuming...  Good old hose clamps, run over with emery cloth to check for burrs, works every time!
"If it ain't broke you aren't riding it hard enough!"

77 CB750K7, 77 KZ1000B

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:34 am »
Both great ideas...  But here's an even cheaper one - just a little more time consuming...  Good old hose clamps, run over with emery cloth to check for burrs, works every time!

How would that work?  Do you have a photo?

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »
heres one I made easy to make 1' matal tube with the sides cut out an a big c clamp
http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84/luap_dr/?action=view&current=IMG_1056.jpg
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline adamlwvdc36

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:34 am »
@luap, the one you made is pretty much like the one that I made, except i only cut one side off to make the window.  the first one i made failed so when i made the second after I was done, I heated it up just untill the metal starts to turn purple-ish then dropped it in used motor oil.. basically tempering the metal.  Now this tool is sitting in a place I know exactly where it is for next time.  It and a cheap c-clamp is all i needed... for the pipe i used 1/2" electrical conduit (laying around)
_ADaM

Be a COWBOY, not a NERD!  youre riding an antique bad ass motorcycle for God's sake...

75 CB550 Named "Don Casper"  Don for grandpa, Casper for the guy that mentored me to riding... RIP Kenny...