Author Topic: 1965 CA95 150 Benly Touring 'Baby Dream'  (Read 52194 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
1965 CA95 150 Benly Touring 'Baby Dream'
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »
Here's the latest addition to my stable.  I can call two bikes a stable, right?  Anyhow, she's a 1965 CA95 Benly Touring, all original, 5K miles, all the pieces are there (even the horribly corroded original petcock), never been restored, she was cheap, and...SHE RUNS  ;D  We got her to fire on both cylinders last night after a bad plug was resolved.  Almost better than the deal on the bike was getting to meet the PO, who has a 5K square foot warehouse stuffed to the gills with about 100 rare old bikes and cars.  I got invited back to work on projects and take pictures, and I didn't have my good camera, so better pics will come later.

My plan is to clean her up a little: replace the crusty cables, find a new petcock, clean the tank, find a new battery and cruise her around.

I've never worked on one of these, so any advice or good resources would be greatly appreciated!
-
She just got dropped off this morning : 8)

The outside has great patina, but the inside is another story..

His homemade petcock...

...made kind of a mess...

The other side is much nicer

In his shop last night

And the few shots I managed to get without being rude and not listening to his stories about his bikes:

Triumph GT6 Fastback

A DeTomassa Pantera engine (w/incorrect head resting on it)  Sitting next to an orange 454 engine.

SL90?

The Black Bomber...or so I thought...

Two sweet bikes whose names I managed to forget..but the one on the right was by a company that was bought out by Harley, but this one was from before that) <EDIT> It's an Aermacchi on the right.

More to come as I clean her up.  Maybe even a vid!?

Oh, and here's my 'stable'

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:54:18 am by Greggo »

Offline joe29

Re: 1965 CA95 Benly Touring 'Baby Dream'
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »
Is this the one in San Carlos?
-joe

1976 CB750K
1974 CB750K
1972 CB750K

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »
Is this the one in San Carlos?

Sure is!  Did I steal her away from ya?

Offline joe29

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:38:04 pm »
Yeah, go ahead. Rub it in.  :)

Nice score.
-joe

1976 CB750K
1974 CB750K
1972 CB750K

Offline Hoosier Tom

• Old Hondas were made to be ridden, not hidden!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »
Greggo,

Nice find.  I sold my 1964 CA95 2 weeks ago.  Nice little bike to tool around on.  If you have any questions about parts or maintenance e-mail me.

BTW, the bike you tagged as a black bomber looks to be a '68-'69 CA175 (CD175).  Black Bombers were early CB450s with 4 speed trans '65-'67.

HT
1974 CB550
1975 CB400F
1962 CB92
1962 CB77
1966 CB77 Cafe

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:39 pm »
BTW, the bike you tagged as a black bomber looks to be a '68-'69 CA175 (CD175).  Black Bombers were early CB450s with 4 speed trans '65-'67.

HT

Very possible.  He had about 10 of these 60's Hondas with the toaster tanks, and since most of them look the same to me at this point, I could have easily confused it...But he did have a black bomber in there somewhere, although I think he said it had the wrong tank on it.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:06:58 pm »
Place in Ohio has some original parts left, the covers behind the carbs are common to be missing.  
Doesn't look like the correct taillamp is on it.

Does it have the air pump or tool kit beneath the seat?

Olypen has petcock rebuild kits if you can find an original

They are a fun cruising kind of bike for city riding.  They garner lots of respect when people realize what they are and you don't run into many people that have owned them.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:28:11 pm »
Place in Ohio has some original parts left, the covers behind the carbs are common to be missing.  
Doesn't look like the correct taillamp is on it.

Does it have the air pump or tool kit beneath the seat?

Olypen has petcock rebuild kits if you can find an original

They are a fun cruising kind of bike for city riding.  They garner lots of respect when people realize what they are and you don't run into many people that have owned them.

David

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I haven't looked under the seat yet, so I don't know about the pump or the tool kit.  I have the original petcock, but it's pretty much FUBAR.  No idea about the taillight either. 

Can't wait to get her registered and cruise the streets!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Certified bike nut
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
Nice score!
Not sure what you paid for it, but the Benly is a highly desirable and collectible motorcycle. Doug Mitchel values this bike at aywhere between $1800.00-$3000.00, depending on condition; 18k being Very Good and 3k being Excellent (perfect or concours restoration)
Good luck on your new-found collectible. I'd be making a few trips back, if I were you.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:47:50 pm by Captainkirk »
It's easier to ask forgiveness than to gain permission.

Offline Captainkirk

• Certified bike nut
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »
Were the Harley's Aermacchi's?

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:17 pm »
Captainkirk,

If the Benly is highly desireable and collectible their ebay prices don't reflect it too well. The 305cc Dreams go for far more.

Most of the time a very nice restored Benly goes for around $1500 and if it is exceptional it may go for a little over $2000.
Is this no longer true?

I'm considering modifying mine to be more like a CB95 that very few made it to these shores (USA).
The CB92 (125cc) racer is very similar to the CB95.

The anti-dive front end standing up on you when you brake is a treat and takes some getting used to.
Siting at a red light with the front brake on with light revs and clutch releases you can make the front of the bike rise a couple inches. It can get someone's attention...just don't do it beside a police officer they may not find it amusing.

David

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:46 pm »
Nice score!
Not sure what you paid for it, but the Benly is a highly desirable and collectible motorcycle. Doug Mitchel values this bike at aywhere between $1800.00-$3000.00, depending on condition; 18k being Very Good and 3k being Excellent (perfect or concours restoration)
Good luck on your new-found collectible. I'd be making a few trips back, if I were you.....

I got her for ~800 with a bunch of spare parts and new $300 exhaust pipes he had bought for it.  And he delivered her ~30 miles to me.  And yes, I will be making many trips back.  He was a great guy, and even offered to let me use his shop for projects/sandblasting/painting, and to take more pics of his toys.

Were the Harley's Aermacchi's?

YES YES YES!!!  Thank you!  That was killing me trying to figure it out.  He had two of 'em, both from before Harley bought them out.  That one in the picture was fully restored before being parked. <EDIT> The one pictured was not the restored bike, that was the one I didn't get a picture of...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:37:18 am by Greggo »

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »

Triumph GT6 Fastback

The Black Bomber

I used to have GT6! That was my first encounter with multi carbs and carb syncronizing. I spent more time working on it than driving but when it ran it cornered like it was on rails!

The Black Bomer is awesome too. That's what I started out looking for but the prices for good ones are too high.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Captainkirk

• Certified bike nut
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:56:49 pm »
Captainkirk,

If the Benly is highly desireable and collectible their ebay prices don't reflect it too well. The 305cc Dreams go for far more.

Most of the time a very nice restored Benly goes for around $1500 and if it is exceptional it may go for a little over $2000.
Is this no longer true?

I'm considering modifying mine to be more like a CB95 that very few made it to these shores (USA).
The CB92 (125cc) racer is very similar to the CB95.

The anti-dive front end standing up on you when you brake is a treat and takes some getting used to.
Siting at a red light with the front brake on with light revs and clutch releases you can make the front of the bike rise a couple inches. It can get someone's attention...just don't do it beside a police officer they may not find it amusing.

David

David;
I am quoting pricing direct from Doug Mitchel's fantastic book HONDA MOTORCYCLES; The Ultimate Guide (Everything You Need To Know About Every Honda Street Bike Ever Built). Doug is pretty much the expert on Honda, but remember; we're talking "collectible circles" and not Craigslist or eBay, where most of us spend our realtime searching. I'd knock 10-20% off Doug's values for those instances. But, if Greggo is planning on doing a first-rate resto to original, he could certainly expect to command those sort of prices, perhaps more. Anybody else seen the skyrocketing prices on the Crockers lately? Holy Crap! They're brushing elbows with the Vincent Black Shadows!
And speaking of Aermacchis...their values are steeply on the climb in some circles these days. If you've got cash to spare, they'd be a good bet.
And, yes; Mitchel is pricing the Black Bombers at 4k and above (for pristine condition originals or perfect restos)

Offline spot45

• Enthusiast
    • Black Cat Garage NOS and Used Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 06:20:46 pm »
As someone who had a few Benlys and I am now down to one.  Which I will probably sell because I have way too many bikes.  The low end price range is about right the high end will be very hard to get.  The hardest thing to find will be a Petcock for those bikes as Honda has not made that part in years.  When you do find one be prepared to pay big bucks.  Trust me I have a petcock that needs to be rebuilt and I will not part with it unless someone shows me at least $500.  But if you have most of the parts for the petcock the rebuild kits are still being sold by Honda. 

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »
The hardest thing to find will be a Petcock for those bikes as Honda has not made that part in years.  When you do find one be prepared to pay big bucks.  Trust me I have a petcock that needs to be rebuilt and I will not part with it unless someone shows me at least $500.  But if you have most of the parts for the petcock the rebuild kits are still being sold by Honda. 

$500 :o :o :o  That's crazy.  But I know how you feel about not wanting to let certain parts go for less than a small fortune.

Here's what's left of the bike's original petcock

All this is soaking in a nice simple green concentrate bath.  In a couple days I'll know if a rebuild kit will suffice.  Looks like that bowl is toast...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:02:48 am by Greggo »

Offline Hoosier Tom

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 07:53:12 pm »
If there is a tool kit it should be on the tool tray behind the left sidecover.  Air pumps came on CA95s up to early-mid 1963.  When the design changed in mid to later '63 the tank chrome panels/rubber pads changed, the rear fender braces changed from a crescent moon shape to what you have, mufflers changed from flat sides to round type, went from small taillight to larger style, blackwall tires to whitewall tires.  Your frame number will be stamped on the left side frame partially hidden by the side cover.  What is it?
1974 CB550
1975 CB400F
1962 CB92
1962 CB77
1966 CB77 Cafe

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »
No tool kit  :(

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »
Do the larger 305 Dreams share the same petcock as this bike?  I hope so, because I just bought a rebuilt piece from a 305 from a guy in LA.

Offline Hoosier Tom

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:08:23 pm »
Same petcock.
1974 CB550
1975 CB400F
1962 CB92
1962 CB77
1966 CB77 Cafe

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:58:22 pm »
Same petcock.

Sweet.  I think I can rebuild the original too.  Anyone ordered from a company in the Netherlands called CMS? http://www.cmsnl.com/

Oh, and the VIN is CA95-501....

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 10:50:00 pm »
The company you mentioned, CMSNL, is a reputable place with lots of parts. David Silver Spares is another good source. CMSNL will have expensive shipping, not that David Silvers is cheap but it is generally less.
Check Ohio Cycle for parts as well. I think it was them whom I found several items from...
Shipping from them is very reasonable and they carry aftermarket as well as OEM & OEM Honda parts

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »
Thanks David,  I'll check them out, as I think I'll need a few electrical bits.

The sun broke out for a little bit, so I took a few pics.  I cleaned off a bunch of wax from some hard to reach nooks n crannies that were overlooked by whoever cleaned her last.

I have a gasket set on the way for when I rebuild her, which may be very soon.  She spat out a good amount of oily liquid from the cylinder that wasn't firing, so I think the rings may be shot :-\  

Can any of you other owners tell me what all of the ignition positions do?  I just smile when I look at that thing, and the battery is dead.

Not too bad on the outside

Speedo/Odo both work  ;D ;D

He said the pipes were $300 bucks on ebay, so I guess my 'all original' claim is sort of shot.

He's got the right header pipe for me somewhere in that shop, so I'll get it eventually.

Brand new Chinese tires already on the bike...Good for temporarily holding air

Sprocket looks okay maybe?

The tank needs a serious cleaning  :o :o

<EDIT> THIS TANK HAS BEEN DEEMED UNUSEABLE DUE TO OLD LINER <EDIT>

I love the crinkly paint.  I will not be refinishing any surfaces.  This bike was clearly kept inside here in sunny California, and I think it'd be a shame to significantly alter it.  My dad has kept some beautiful automobiles over my lifetime; he's had some of them longer than he's been married, namely his 356's.  His convertible has the original white paint from 1963, and with all her cracks and crinkles, I think it's the most beautiful 356 I've seen outside of a museum.  It's only original once.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:57:11 pm by Greggo »

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
Hello. I had a quick question about these type of bikes. Does this have the "automatic" transmission with the centrifugal clutch like the trail bikes or are they manual like the bigger bikes? Thanks.
Ben Whitener

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »

Can any of you other owners tell me what all of the ignition positions do?  I just smile when I look at that thing, and the battery is dead.

The position shown in your picture is the OFF position where the ignition key can be removed and all the power is off.  Rotating the key the one position counter-clockwise will allow the starter to be engaged but no spark to the plugs.  This position is for cranking over a cold motor so as to aid (supposedly) in drawing mixture for starting.  The next position clockwise from the OFF is the run position, where you start and run the motor.  The second position clockwise is the same run position, except this turns on the headlamp for night-time running.  (Now-a-days we need to run with the headlamps on all the time - not just in the dark.)  The final clockwise position is the PARK position which allows the key to be removed, leaving the tail-light illuminated and your 6-volt battery to run down!