Author Topic: Project Resurrection - 71 CB500  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Čina

• Noob
Project Resurrection - 71 CB500
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:17:30 pm »
I picked up this bike a couple weeks ago to do as a winter project.  I took a close look, did some research here and made a plan.  It turns out this bike was last registered in 1986.  The kick starter seems to be seized because if it is in gear it turns both ways when pushing or pulling the bike.  I filled the empty crank case full of oil to help get some more lubrication in.  I know, when I go to turn it over I will drain it to the proper level.  So at this point I am waiting to get keys made so I can turn on the ignition, put power to it and see where I stand with it.

Here's how I found it.

And how it now sits.

And my ugly mug.

I plan on gettting it running over the winter and that's about it.  I'm going to do a flat black paint scheme on the tank, wheels, fenders etc. and fix up the seat.   Everything else is going to be functional like the exhaust, lights, controls, tires etc.  

Here's some photos of things I think I need so far.

Switch and brake handle.  The mirror mount on the switch is broken and I want to put on something original and the brake handle is just ugly.

I could refurbish this one but if I can get a new one then I would do that too.  Also the brake and throttle cables and brake lines I need.

Am I missing something here?

I found what I am assuming is a steering lock.  Oh yeah, I have no keys with it but I have the original ignition and seat locks so I need to get keys made.

Any tips are welcome.   ;D

I was told the green gauge was from a newer bigger bike but looking at photos it seems that the speedo is the one that is incorrect since it should only be a 130 or 140 MPH speedo, correct?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:21:43 pm by Čina »

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: Project Resurrection - 71 CB500
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »
Hey! 

Looks rough, but she'll clean up nice!  I think both those guages are incorrect.  The CB500 guages are smaller than those.  Here's a pic of my '71's

Have Fun!!!

Gregg

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
Hey thanks.  I'm assuming the tach will be correct and am hoping the speedo will be as well.  At least I can verify the speedo when I get it running.  I probably won't bother with replacing them until later when I decide to do a more in depth job. 

I realize it does look terrible but it's in better shape than you'd think.  A decent coat of paint will make this look like night and day.

As far as parts go, how close is it to a 550 since I see them lumped together alot?  Also, what years and models can I swap parts from?  The exhaust is my biggest concern.

Any advice on getting the kick start unstuck?

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:09 pm »

I realize it does look terrible but it's in better shape than you'd think.  A decent coat of paint will make this look like night and day.

That is what we ALL said when we started our projects....I will check back on this thread in a year and $2000 later. Not because it NEEDS it but because the more you  will lok around this forum the more ideas wou will get.  ;D ;D

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
That is what we ALL said when we started our projects....I will check back on this thread in a year and $2000 later. Not because it NEEDS it but because the more you  will lok around this forum the more ideas wou will get.  ;D ;D

Ha, I don't doubt that at all but right now I want it rideable.  I still don't have my licence so I will be doing that in the spring.  My intention for next spring/summer is to ride it as much as possible and keep things running.  I know full well that down the line this will go through major work and changes.  I just want one summer as is.  That can't be that hard......can it? ;D

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »
As far as parts go, how close is it to a 550 since I see them lumped together alot?  Also, what years and models can I swap parts from?  The exhaust is my biggest concern.

The 500/550 are very similar in some ways, and very different in others.  The frame/body/suspension bits are all very similar, and many pieces are interchangeable.  The engine is a different story...the 550 has a different transmission design, which is far superior to the 500, and those bits are NOT interchangeable.

Many folks like to stick a 550 motor in their 500's because of the 550's superior gearbox.  BUT, this is not to say that the 500 is a bad motor...I love my 500.   

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:27 am »
Ok, so you mention the major difference of the transmissions.  Does that mean that the exhaust is interchangeable?  That's really the only thing on the engine I need to replace so that may open up my search options a bit more.

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:25:18 pm »
So this bike has definitely proved to be a woman.  Just when I think I may have figured things out and even made some progress, she presents yet another obstacle. :)

Anyway, I got some keys made and put the ignition back in and put some power to it to see what, if anything will come to life.  Turns out, not much at all.  I spent some time with a multimeter and traced some wires and found a few repairs were done in the past.  Also, a lot of the connections in the fuse area are corroded and need cleaning or replacement.  I found some local places that specialize in old bikes and parts so I want to check with them to see if they have any plugs, connectors, or even wiring harnesses that I may use to get the electrical system up and running again.  I may even find just some aftermarket connectors and redo things that way.  Either way I probably have a full day with a multimeter in the near future. :-\

Anyway, when taking the ignition out, the connections came out and I'm not sure if I put them back correctly.  I saw some examples but not sure if they work for this type.  Can someone tell me if I have them back properly?

Thanks.

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:05 am »
I've made some progress.  I spent my Saturday going to about 8 different motorcycle shops and retailers around the city and gained a vast amount of information and knowledge.  I also picked up some parts to get to work.  I couldn't find much in the way of decent wiring harnesses so I decided to make my own repairs.  I picked up some connectors and spent my Sunday with a soldering gun.  It wasn't exciting but I now have 12V going to the ignition rather than the <3V I was getting before.  Now that I have that figured out and the ignition in working order I just need to test all the other parts of the bike and make any minor repairs I may need.

I made some room to work.

Here's what I started with.  It doesn't look bad but when you took the plugs off the contacts were corroded and breaking and the plastic was brittle and coming apart as well.

This is some fine work here boys. ::)

Finally getting somewhere.

Much nicer

And to those who may have been interested.  I looked at the wiring diagram and was able to figure out how the contacts were to be positioned in the ignition.

My kickstart lever came in but I left it at the office last night so I couldn't see how well it works and if I really have to tear apart the shaft from the inside.  Hopefully tonight I can look at that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:23:09 pm by Čina »

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:12:36 pm »
I have a good update and a poor one.  

I tinkered with the wiring harness a bit more and she is now alive.  There is power getting to all the places needed.  I even got the headlight and taillight to work.  There's power at the signal lights, the neutral light was on and the horn works.  The solenoid was even making noise but I didn't have enough power left in my booster pack to crank it which is good because of what I found next.

I was certain that someone put the ratchet mechanism backwards on the kick start shaft until verifying with some other photos that it is indeed correct.  Now, what else could it be?

That's a problem but the bigger problem was what I found when I removed the clutch cover and oil pan.

What was this and where does it go?

I couldn't really see inside too much and can't really tell from the drawings in the manuals I have so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:25:57 pm by Čina »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »
The green guage is most likely from a '76 550 as that is what I have.

Most parts between the 500/550 will not interchage, not worth trying to get it to fit, just buy 500 parts.

Here are 420 parts to get you going:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=honda+cb500+71&_sacat=10063&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=honda+cb500&_osacat=10063&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

And here is a 500 part out:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76249.0

Good Luck.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 02:49:27 pm »
Thanks.  I'll stick to 500 parts.  It seems like most of ths stuff I need is still out there.

I have also already been on ebay and talked to that guy and made a deal on some sruff on his part out.

Now my concern is the broken crap found in the oil pan. :-\

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »
Just start buying parts that you know you will need and find good deals on.

Look here for your mystery part:

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Čina

• Noob
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 05:54:02 pm »
It's been a while since I've posted but I've done some work and figured things out I think.  I pulled the engine out and removed some parts from the bike so I can work on them indoors.  I think mother nature was waitng for me since it was only a few days from when I covered the bike and brought the stuff in that we got hit with tons of snow. :o

Here's how I left her but under a tarp.  I'm also thinking that since it's already stripped nearly bare and I still have to take more parts off to clean/fix them, I may as well go all the way and have the fram powdercoated instead of completely stripping it again in a year or two.

I started disassembling the engine and transmission to find out what's been going on with the kickstarter and where those bits came from.

The cylinders look quite good so I think I'm just going to deglaze them with a hone or monkey balls and put in some new rings since I have it apart.  Any suggestions otherwise or for anything else?

Cylinder #1

Cylinder #2

Cylinder #3

Cylinder #4

I'm probably going to take the head in to be done somewhere as well.  Check the stems and guides and probably have the valves and seats ground.

I found where the little bits came from.  Luckily it didn't do almost any damage and I may be able to get away with just putting a new bearing.  Although I may have to get a new shaft.

I also found out why the kickstarter was causing problems.  That gear is supposed to turn freely, no?  Well it seems seized to the shaft and I can't even get it off so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet.  Any suggestions?

Are there any kits that would have all the suggested items to be changed when the transmission is apart?  I obvously need all new gaskets and am going to put all new seals but is there anything else that would be suggested at this point?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »
I don't there is a kit for the parts you need, but they should not be hard to find.

I would post a "parts needed" thread in the appropriate section on this forum. I bet someone has a spare "dead" motor sitting in their shop!

Good Luck.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »
Here's how I left her but under a tarp.  I'm also thinking that since it's already stripped nearly bare and I still have to take more parts off to clean/fix them, I may as well go all the way and have the fram powdercoated instead of completely stripping it again in a year or two.

I agree.  Do all the work you can afford while the bike is apart.  I'm calculating a plan of attack on pretty my CB500 for next winter, so it's great to watch someone take apart the exact same bike!