Author Topic: hairline crack in overflow tubes.  (Read 2386 times)

outaline

hairline crack in overflow tubes.
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:52:05 pm »
Hi everybody. This is my first post, although I am a regular visitor to the site. Two of my carbs on my 73' CB 500k continually leaked gas, even after I overhauled the carbs and checked the needles and float height. The bike runs awesome so I didn't think the float height was the problem. I took off the float bowls and discovered a hairline cracks in the overflow tubes on both of the flaot bowls that leaked.

My question is - how the hell do I fix this. Do I need to buy new float bowls?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

PS: Has anybody put on an aftermarket carb for the CB500K?

Tony

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:04:26 pm by outaline »

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
Re: hairline crack in overflow tubes.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »
HEY OUTALINE,

Welcome aboard!! I do hope you enjoy the ride(s)!

Someone will show up to give you some good answers to your question.  I do know that you can buy new floats, they are still available  - - -  Like at David Silver Spares, possibly Old Bike Barn and several others.

As for repairs........... I know that someone will come in with some good answers.

Meanwhile, kickback, scoot around here and enjoy the roads........ ;D ;D

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 07:44:34 pm »
It seems that's quite common. My "fix" was new float bowls from the bike salvager. Quick and easy.
Cliff.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:38:38 am »
A buddy of mine had this happen on his CB400T. There are two fixes that I know of.

SOLUTION #1 - (The one that we used) Find a used set of carbs on ebay that have good tubes and simply use those bowls to fix the problem.

SOLUTION #2 - Get some plastic or rubber tubing, that will hold up to gas, that just barely fits over the overflow tube. Find some kind of sealant that also works with Gas (I have a tube of some stuff in my garage that I have used in the past with sucess. Any auto parts shop should have something in stock). Coat the outside of the overflow tube with the sealant (lightly, but enough) and slide the plastic (or rubber) tubing (once cut to length) down over the overflow tube. Let dry, reassemble, test, ride, enjoy, go on with life.
   The trick is making sure the cover tube is very snug and the tahe sealant doesn't plug the inside of the overflow. Once the sealant dries, the tube is repaired.

Hope this helps.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:12:01 am »
j b weld and if you dont get it sealed up the first time and dont want to do it again,run overflow hoses off the nipples and run em up above the carb,thats what i did with mine.works good if you are not concerned with gas being in the hoses
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline 6adan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:28:04 am »
I used J B Weld on mine and it is working fine.
1970 CB750 JDM,1975 GL1000, 1979 GL1000, 1979 CBX, 1995 GL1500, 2000 GL1500CT Valkyrie, 2008 GL1800 Trike.

Offline Mark M

• Hot Shot
  • This is what the 10 year old me wanted for Xmas
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 07:09:00 am »
If you raise the overflow tubes to stop the fuel escaping it could have a simmilar effect to blocking the tubes - you could flood your engine. I list a whole tank full into my crancases once, cleans them out nicely but not recomended.

If you still want to try you need to ensure they only gaet raised to the same level as the top edge of your float bowl so that they can still act as an overflow should your float valves be leeking.
In the UK anything over 40 years old only needs insurance and Fuel.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:15:45 pm »
We soldered a float once would that work?

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

outaline

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 06:39:12 pm »
OK,

So this is the story. First off, thanks to everybody for your input.

The cracks ran about a half inch long so I thought I would pick up some brass tubes at a hobby store and slide them over the tubes and then JB weld the ends. i figured there was less chance of failure if I minimizd the exposed area. As I slide on of the tubes over, the overflowtube breaks off where it comes through the inside bottom of the float. A couple off expletives later I thought - since I got some hobby tubes here, why not drill the hole sucker out and use the new tube. So that's what I did. I still have to JB weld it tomorrow, but the new tube fit fairly snugly into the float body so I don't anticipate any problems.

I'll keep you posted if it works or not.

nunnik6

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:39:44 pm »
I soldered mine on my '70 750 and they work fine.... nobody is going to see them anyway, so take the easy route:) Just make sure you dont solder the hole shut!!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 07:58:57 pm »
I for one would like to know how these tubes crack anyway? It sounds like quite a few of you had this problem. What kind of abuse or age makes these tubes crack?
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Juhani

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 03:11:07 am »
Hi, i had same problem in one of my carbs. I cleaned brass tube with fine paper 400 or like then used 200w solderingiron and normal solder ment for electronics.
Has worked fine 4 years now. I think these are normal symptoms in old Brass tubes they crack. Plastictube over it would work also if it does not hinder float movement. You can also plug rubber hoses but if your petcock leaks, or its left on, it will fill motor with gas. and you might even bent a rod or something if it hydrolocks at startup.
Cheers Juhani

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 05:49:43 am »
I for one would like to know how these tubes crack anyway? It sounds like quite a few of you had this problem. What kind of abuse or age makes these tubes crack?
my carb guru told me that the moisture in the gas freezes and that of course cracks the tubes,im sure there are other reasons too.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 07:32:09 am »
It could simply be that the tubes are made out of a rolled piece of brass sheet, and the junction split with time. I've never seen one, but if the split is a straight line then that could be the reason.

As used as I am to work with electronic equipment I would go the "soldering iron" way to repair the cracked tubes or the punctured bowls.

Best regards

Raul

motorcycleclaude75

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 11:16:18 am »
Hello,

I believe I have the same problem for one of my carbs.  There are carbs on Ebay all the time.  I have been outbid several times but I keep trying.  I'm in Canada so shipping can be a bit pricy to get something out of the States but I keep watching.

It's worth a look.  There are several sets on Ebay right now, just don't outbid me. LOL!

Claude

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 06:39:37 pm »
I got a new float bowl for my 750F2 from Service Honda.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)