Author Topic: anyone have any experience with getting a title in ohio with bill of sale.  (Read 935 times)

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
theres a guy selling a parts bike mostly complete with a bill of sale only, im looking for a restoration project for next year and thought i would pick this up. just wondering if its worth the trouble of trying to get a title as i have had no experience with getting a title in ohio.
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline cobra2411

• Enthusiast
I'm about to start on this for another bike I have. The procedure is to get it registered out of state though an agent in a state that allows bill of sales, Maine is one such state. Maine doesn't title bikes older then 15 years. Once you have a registration you go to your DMV and tell them you have an out of state registration from a state that doesn't issue titles for older bikes. You'll have to fill out some paperwork and probably submit photos etc but you'll get a title.

Timing is an issue especially if it's a pile of parts but what I would do is wait till you're almost ready and get the out of state registration. Once you get it on the road and sorted out go for the in state title.

International Title in Nv is one place that I know that does this kind of work.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
I'm about to start on this for another bike I have. The procedure is to get it registered out of state though an agent in a state that allows bill of sales, Maine is one such state. Maine doesn't title bikes older then 15 years. Once you have a registration you go to your DMV and tell them you have an out of state registration from a state that doesn't issue titles for older bikes. You'll have to fill out some paperwork and probably submit photos etc but you'll get a title.

Timing is an issue especially if it's a pile of parts but what I would do is wait till you're almost ready and get the out of state registration. Once you get it on the road and sorted out go for the in state title.

International Title in Nv is one place that I know that does this kind of work.

Make sure that you make a GOOD color copy of the bill of sale. IT in Nev. will want the original, but you will need it also for the Ohio Title Bureau along with the Maine Registration. I just did my C100 Cub that way.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline Gaither

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB550F
FWIW

Geogia and Alabama will also work. Both now have title laws but on older vehicles, only a tag receipt was/is required for transfering to a new owner.

In both cases, you get someone you trust to buy a new Tag, hang on to the tag receipt for 6 months and sign it over to you.

Done this many times on stuff I KNEW was legal but papers were lost. (Of course, you can "post date" the transfer on the tag receipt - but, you can't turn it in prior to that date.)
Gaither ('77 CB550F)

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
I'm only an hour north of you in the Detroit area. (dearborn actually)
As long as the bike has not been registered in MI in the last 10 years, they will issue a title here too.

I might be able to help you out if you need.

1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
yeah i just talked to some local people and they said to register it in mi. may look into that.
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho