Author Topic: 1972 CB450 of course BCR cafe style. Got some print in blogs!!!  (Read 9469 times)

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
1972 CB450 of course BCR cafe style. Got some print in blogs!!!
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:45:01 pm »
Project begins easy enough. Bought two bikes from another state. One in boxes, one needed the chain cut off and the rear brake stay removed to push it on the truck. After painful realization that these were parts bikes, back to CL to find a bike in my home state. It makes reg easier and I needed a good motor. So I bought a third bike. Turned out the motor was no good on that bike, now its a full on resto. Here is the bike that will be the finished product.

Here is the bike a week or so later, I fabbed up my rear set mounts so I could send the measurements off to BCR. Benjie is making a few new custom one off pieces for this project. Its not going to be your ordinary cafe. Some new styling for this CB450.

Here is the stripped down motor getting some paint, along with the big bore CB605 I was doing at the same time.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
Re: 1972 CB450 of course cafe style
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:43:08 am »
I made a custom rear swing arm, its 3" over stock. No, I'm not running a 330 tire. ;) I think the 450's are a bit stubby looking. So I grafted two arms together, slugged and tigged. Then the shocks were too short, so I again cut 550 shock mounts off and grafeted those on, the 550's are 1" higher. Then I pc'd it a second time. Remeber cut twice, powder coat once. I know that lengthening a swing arm slows the steering, heck this whole bike will be slow, that how I ride anyway. I even swapped out the disc brakes for a drum. The bike is just for fun, no track days.

The frame is starting to come together, Benjie made a custom rear hoop, its wider than the frame and wraps the upper shock mounts. The frame is powder coated in Anthrecite. The forks are pc'd silver and rebuilt, all ballz tapered bearings, BCR bars with 450 gauge. I painted the body work in the same color as the frame so when I stripe it, the two tone paint will be seperated by a 1/4" stripe the same color as the chassis. Since I had no idea where the stripe would be, everything got painted. I spend three days and three rolls of fine line tape before I settled on a design, I wanted to bring out the shape of the tank but not look too trendy. BCR made this metal one off tank and its fits the 450 so nice, it has an Italain bike look to it, I just love it. I don't have photoshop so the paint and stripe is getting the old school method.

BCR made a set of pea shooter pipes that are nice and tight that wrap the frame. Benjie made the pipes to my frame dimensions. They fit really nice.

Here's a couple of pics as the build was progressing.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:49 am »
Rear sets. Not so easy sometimes. I tried Tarozzi sets, all mounted, adjusted everything the way I wanted it. Then I mounted the exhaust which shared the same mounting hole. The Tarozzi's wouldn't clear the pipes. BCR left no room for my hardware. I see it as an oversight. No complaints. It just tested my resolve. So I got some round stainless and headed to a buddy's shop who had a lathe. I drilled out the end, then started to size the ends to fit the frame and what was to be the pedal pivots. So the lathe work finished. Made my own levers from cold rolled round stock, I cut an old brake pedal pad off and welded it to my levers. The pivots are DOM with an i.d. that fits my machined pegs. I then cross drilled the pegs. I would have knurled the pegs but I had no access to the tooling. I like the way the pegs came out and my total invetment was zero dollars, metal was cut offs, I just invested time. I think I will continue to make my own rear sets. Here is a shot of the lathe work, boring to look at, even more boring drilling for an hour.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:36:39 am »
Upper tree. Welded up the stock handle bar holes, ground the down to look like the holes were never there. The tig wire turns out to be a tad different shade than the 30 year old aluminum Honda used. The old gauge bracket holes have two LED bolts, on the left is green for neutral, the right is blue for hi beam. Tree was polished for a while to get looking decent. That Harbor freight buffer has earned it's keep in my book.

This pic shows the handlebar switches that took a while to find. Silver, no kill switch, rt side has switch in handle for brake lights, and you can turn the lights off if desired. The headlight mounting bolts have been drilled out and little LED bulbs threaded in for mini turn sigs. I know its not DOT but turn sigs are not required on a 72 in CT.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:53:19 am »
Here's a couple of pictures of some polishing I did.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:09 am »
The engine, 3rd overbore. Head got some mild porting mostly clean-up and blending by me. Valve job, new cam bearings/holders I found them in boxes in with the basket case I bought. There were new followers too but I didn't use them as mine were ok. New cam chain, new cam tensioner, new oil pump, all new seals/gaskets from DSS. In all, the motor was a pretty straight forward rebuild. I polished everything I could. I wrecked a few parts during polishing, they went flying and smashed! Hondaman ignition.  Shift lever was stripped, ebay saved me. Overhauled carbs, pods. The jetting requirements is a surprise. The cylinders are powder coated black, fins are bare, the head is painted, the pistons are coated on the skirts teflon and the domes high temp ceramic.

Offline rozkazs

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
first post... and i don't like to miss this ... it's so beautiful ... it's different from others i have seen ....can't wait to see the finish product ... 

Offline UPHOTO

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:09 am »
Wow....great project and probably the most beautiful tank and seat I have seen on a Honda.  I agree on the Italian styling.

Offline allenkey

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:36:52 am »
good day sir! first time to post, i love the tank! can't wait when its done. you got  my vote on the next bike of the month! :)

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
Re: 1972 CB450 of course BCR cafe style
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:29 am »
Oh, the wheels. front hub is from a 1970 CL450, had to have the drum. Rear is the stock 72 CB450 hub, sent to Buchanan for stainless spokes & nipples. Hubs and rims were both pc'd.

Tires, tubes and flaps new. Shinko Tour Master.

Wiring all completed. New connectors from Vintage Connections, nice to work with, o.e. type connectors and seals. All the electrics are behind the seat including a 9BS battery, Hondaman Ignition, led flasher, maybe even a tracking device.

Shocks, I was having some special Hagons built, so I got some CB900F shocks to keep the build going. I disassembled them and polished & painted.

I caught Dave Quinn as he was placing an order from the UK, he was able to add my special request. Not that I know anything about shocks, Dave knew the length I needed but it would have had Gold Wing valving. So he ordered me the right length with the right valving, took like 8 weeks but I got them. Dave is great to deal with.

New nickel chain. O-ring chains don't work with Cb450's. Benjie made some velocity stacks too. I don't know if its the best for street riding, I'll have to decide.

Here's a pic of the velos and shocks.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:45 pm »
Here is some of the latest pics. Hope y'all like it. BCR Hammer Head. I told Benjie to build whatever he would like for himself as if it was his bike. He hit this one out of the park. Its been a long 1.5 year build. I'm sure this project slowed down some parts for other members, sorry  8)

Links to my photobucket & flickr.
http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz321/kldinsmoor/Hammer%20Head/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54523591@N05/

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »
Looks awesome!
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline rozkazs

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »

WOW! ... love it!

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 04:08:38 pm »
Thanks guys! While I was doing this build, I also built the MoLester bike and a new big bore motor for my 550, so I was busy. After everything was done, I took a picture of the gang.

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 04:25:52 pm »
That is a killer sweet bike. I love the paint scheme. I wasn't sure about the tank design before it was painted but it just goes to show that an awesome paint job can tie everything together.
Ben Whitener

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:59 pm »
That is a killer sweet bike. I love the paint scheme. I wasn't sure about the tank design before it was painted but it just goes to show that an awesome paint job can tie everything together.

Wow UG, thanks! That truely means alot. I obsessed over the paint for a long time. I picked the green from a postage size stamp off of a color chart. The stripe was equally as hard. Stripe, back away from bike, stare, crouch down, move to the side, stand back up, walk back to the bike a rip off all the tape, repeat.......for days. So it does mean alot.

Offline COMB2

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
Very bad ass !!!!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »
Thanks guys! While I was doing this build, I also built the MoLester bike and a new big bore motor for my 550, so I was busy. After everything was done, I took a picture of the gang.

I see one of my stickers. ;) Now I know who did that great work. ;) ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »

Wow UG, thanks! That truely means alot. I obsessed over the paint for a long time. I picked the green from a postage size stamp off of a color chart. The stripe was equally as hard. Stripe, back away from bike, stare, crouch down, move to the side, stand back up, walk back to the bike a rip off all the tape, repeat.......for days. So it does mean alot.

I've been down that road except I use a sharpie. It gets difficult to decide on a paint scheme that works and is unique and I think you hit both very well.
Ben Whitener

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 06:58:27 am »
Holy CRAP Man! Great work!!!  Sexy in all cafe' aspects.... Great job... LOVE the tank/seat/whole bike!!

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:24 pm »
Holy CRAP Man! Great work!!!  Sexy in all cafe' aspects.... Great job... LOVE the tank/seat/whole bike!!
Thanks HedNut, I'm a fan of your work too. Kinda makes all the late nites and weekends worth it.

rip-it-up

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 06:21:55 pm »
Brand new to the forum but I've been lurking for a bit checkin out everyone's builds. But man, I had to register and give some prop's on this bike. Absolutely beautiful and one of my favorites. This tank and seat needs to be offered for sale on BCR's site.

Offline allenkey

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 05:23:49 am »
nice job finishing the bike sir! love the color combination!  :)

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 06:00:43 am »
I see one of my stickers. ;) Now I know who did that great work. ;) ;D

No doubt about that! Maybe next time I can twist your arm to do some DOHC cylinder heads.

Offline cb550fcafe

• Hot Shot
    • KDI Cycles
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 06:23:09 am »
nice job finishing the bike sir! love the color combination!  :)

Thanks! Color choice is hard, I'm very happy with the finished product too.