Author Topic: aftermarket exhaust kerker, question, 75' cb750f  (Read 2139 times)

alec868

aftermarket exhaust kerker, question, 75' cb750f
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:34 am »
I have a 1975 cb750f, the previous owner had it converted to a kerker performance exhaust, which also happens to offensively loud. also they never modified the intake. i believe i am going to have to change something or the bike wont run right. I do not have any particular interested in enhancing the performance of the bike, necessarily. I would like to convert the pipes back to stock but i am having a hard time finding them used(in other words cheap), new they are about $400, seems silly when the bike cost me 800. I am wondering what my easiest, cheapest and best options are. should i convert the airfilter to pods or something? i have heard that this can cause you problems with the vacuum dealie on the carbs. should or could i change the baffle in the kerker to be more restrictive? rejet carbs? any advice is appreciated.

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
Re: aftermarket exhaust kerker, question, 75' cb750f
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »
just my 2 cents, but leave the intake alone, and if the kerker is too loud, you can get a different baffle from kerker or cycle recycle. stock pipes are very expensive for the most part. might have to re-jet, but how's it running now?

alec868

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:01:58 pm »
like hell, but theres several reasons for that.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:35:42 pm »
Do a complete tune up including carburetor synchronization and then add a good baffle to your Kerker pipe. You may not need to modify anything, just maintain your bike to a higher standard.  There are no inexpensive stock pipes.  Check here for good baffles at a decent price, scroll all the way down: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/baffles.htm

Offline jdubb1977

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:31 pm »
I've got a '76 CB750F w/ a Kerker.  No baffle in mine, either.  I actually don't mind the loudness, but the bike pops and backfires every time I roll off the throttle because there's little/no back pressure from the exhaust.  I think I might try the baffle from CRC2. 

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:59:35 pm »
I've got a '76 CB750F w/ a Kerker.  No baffle in mine, either.  I actually don't mind the loudness, but the bike pops and backfires every time I roll off the throttle because there's little/no back pressure from the exhaust.  I think I might try the baffle from CRC2. 

Cheers Man, post back here and share your impression when you have a few miles on it.
Alan

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:08:37 pm »
Do a complete tune up including carburetor synchronization and then add a good baffle to your Kerker pipe. You may not need to modify anything, just maintain your bike to a higher standard.  There are no inexpensive stock pipes.  Check here for good baffles at a decent price, scroll all the way down: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/baffles.htm
+1 on the tune up.... -1 on crc

i got the "mac" baffle for my kerker. except i ordered it from mac since crc wasn't cutting it in the customer service department. mine did not come wrapped as shown (not sure if crc does that, but mac doesnt ship em out that way) and they are made for newer kerkers. the old ones (mine) are 2" at the collector, the newer ones are 2.5". i made it work, but not the way it should have. CRC swore up and down there is only 1 size kerker, and that it would fit no problem. which is why i ordered from mac, at least they gave me all the dimensions and told me they werent sure if it would work. its a little loud, i like it though... and when you get on it she screams. i actually get a lot of complements on the sound. if you want quiet, get the smallest comp baffle since they dont seem to make the basic ones anymore...

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:42:44 pm »

There's a better selection of Kerker baffles here...http://www.dynoman.net/exhaust/baffles.html

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 08:54:17 pm »
I have the standard street baffle in mine (810 and cam) and it's not loud but when you crank it it sounds good. I picked up the competition baffle from Dynoman which I'll use when I get the newly built $7000 engine and bike back in 1 piece. I'm sure it's louder from the larger hole in the end  ;)

No vacuum dealies on our carbs.

You will NOT find new stock pipes for a 75/76 CB750F! No way. They haven't been made in MANY years.

Get a street baffle from someone here, install it and see how it does as is. Rejet if necessary. You're better off not messing with pods or anything else!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)