Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113096 times)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTOS!
« Reply #550 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »
Love the wood burning Joey, i have a friend that does full portraits using that method and they are outstanding.

Thank you Brother Retro Rocket. Your friend sounds very talented, I was looking at some woodburning artwork the other night that was absolutely beautiful.

Here are a couple of recent photos for new visitors.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:42:47 pm by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #551 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »
thats pretty cool, you gonna add any color or clear it and forget it, Ha Ha.

either way it will be nice, one of a kind.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #552 on: April 05, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
Brother raef I am going to stain it with the color golden oak and I may add a little color to the designs too but I have not decided yet.
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #553 on: April 06, 2011, 08:03:08 am »
Brother raef I am going to stain it with the color golden oak and I may add a little color to the designs too but I have not decided yet.
If you really wanna blow minds, custom make some new Honda emblems out of the same oak stock, and/or inlay some nice oak veneer in the top triple.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #554 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:58 am »
Wow, that bike is crazy and kewl at the same time!  It will be interesting to watch this thread come tune time!
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #555 on: April 06, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
Absolutely epic.  Have you run the motor yet?
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: April 06, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »
Just a suggestion.......take a look at the MV Augusta staggered and baloney-cut 4-pipe exhaust from about 5 years ago. ....maybe in black chrome.  Suggest you bring this bike to Vintage Bike Fest at Barber in October.....Motorcycle mags with cameras will be there!
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »
Brother Syscrush I love your ideas! I am not going to run Honda on the tank it is going to say DWMS but that would still look awesome and the wood on the triple would look beautiful! I may go ahead and build a triple cover next!

Brother TipperT there are a few people who feel it will be difficult to tune, and she will need tuning as any modified engine does however I am confident that she will run great!

Brother OneWheelDrive this engine has been with me since I was a child but I have not started her yet since I started converting her to a reverse port configuration as I am still building parts. I will post a video of her running when she is ready.

Brother Old Scrambler I live in Alabama and one of my local Brothers really wants me to go to Barbers this year. I hear that other media is already watching and if they decide to feature her it would be a great honor to her and me both however that is not the reason she is getting this build. I am still undecided on how I want to run the exhaust back from the header but I am now thinking about a pair of trumpet mufflers, thanks for the MV exhaust idea I will take a look at it too.

Thank you all for the compliments, as always they mean more to me than you know.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:55:35 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2011, 05:52:09 pm »
Have been following along, and thought I would add my .02 on the exhaust.  How about going from your 4 headers into 2 pipes that bend down following the frame angle, and then go to a single collector that dipes into the void between the engine and brace.  You can use the brace as a mount point for the muffler angling up in front of the tire.  With your fab skills you could add a flat tail pipe (NASCAR style) that follows the curve of the wheel.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #559 on: April 06, 2011, 06:01:42 pm »
Brother Tintop that sounds pretty cool too! Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #560 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »
Brother Syscrush I love your ideas!
Good! :)

I am not going to run Honda on the tank it is going to say DWMS but that would still look awesome and the wood on the triple would look beautiful!
I agree.

I may go ahead and build a triple cover next!
With your engraving skills, I'll bet you could do a very nice inlay pattern that would look 10x better than just covering the triple.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #561 on: April 07, 2011, 11:39:12 am »
Brother Syscrush I love your ideas!
Good! :)

I am not going to run Honda on the tank it is going to say DWMS but that would still look awesome and the wood on the triple would look beautiful!
I agree.

I may go ahead and build a triple cover next!
With your engraving skills, I'll bet you could do a very nice inlay pattern that would look 10x better than just covering the triple.

Brother Syscrush I agree that a inlay pattern would look beautiful, the reason I was thinking about building a cover is that I never liked the look of the forks sticking through the clamp, or the center nut on top, the clamp slots and bolts, etc. so if I built a recessed cover that would fit over and around the top triple it would have a totally smooth top and sides.

I think I am going to build one just to see what it would look like, if it does not look right it will not be the first time I built a part and not used it! I am on my fourth, I think, exhaust and I built around five different breather brackets before I liked it. Hahahaha!

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #562 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
Are you going to use any guages? Maybe you could work that into the triple tree cover someway? If not, I think it will look good plain as you described, and would definitely be an improvement.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:22:19 pm by scroggins5000 »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:45 pm »
Thank you Brother scroggins5000 and your gauge idea is a very good one. I was originally considering not running any gauges at all but I think I am going to run a nice race tach with a shift light.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #564 on: April 08, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
We finally figured out the exhaust! Most of you know that I have been having a very difficult time deciding how I wanted to run the exhaust back from the header, I have built a few different designs but none of them really had the look that I wanted. Dad was here yesterday and helped me decide how to run it back so today I got all of the pipe that I needed and decided on a final design!

I am going to run dual exhaust and I just came in from building the right side, I will post new photos tomorrow! It looks really fast to me, I hope you all like it!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #565 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2011, 06:33:34 am »
Woodburning.. You are truly a  renaissance man Joey!..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:06 pm »
+1 on more wood. I think the seat will be beautiful when its finished, but being the only peice of wood on the bike might look a little out of place. More wood, like the cover your talking about making will tie the rest of the bike to the seat. Looks prime though! Cant wait to see the pics of your exhaust now that youve figured how you want it.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2011, 04:01:28 pm »
A wood points cover would help tie things in.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »
I don't think wood engine covers will work. The heat will end up making the wood split.   It "wood" look cool though.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »
Are there any plans for more support for that loooong chain that will be required?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »
Brothers I like the idea of more wood and I was getting ready to start on the top triple tree cover but I worked on the exhaust first.

Brother Jerry Rxman Griffin the rear end is stationary and I am building a tensioner to go under the bottom of the chain and I may build a guide for the rear as well.

My Dad had the idea to model the exhaust after one of our favorite race cars, the mid 1960's indy car. I really liked the idea and took it one step further, we ran a triple stage exhaust on the engines that we won a lot of oval track races on so I decided to build the dual mid 1960's indy car style exhaust but instead of the dual megaphone pipes I built dual triple stage pipes!

Here is the pipe that I used to build it, the first stage is 1 1/2 inch, the second stage is, 1 3/4 inch, and the third stage is 2 inch. The first two stages are exhaust pipe, the third stage is stainless steel and we flared the end to match the intakes velocity stacks.

I cut the pipes into the lengths I wanted and welded them togethor to build the two triple stage pipes, I left the first stage long when I built them so that I had extra until I decided on the total length I wanted them.

As I had originally planned to run a single round pipe off of the end of the header I had to reconfigure the headers collector from a round end to a rectangle end so that the dual pipes would fit. After I reworked the collector I welded the dual pipes to the header. I wanted to keep the exhaust clean looking with no clamps so I welded it all togethor as one unit, the header and pipes togethor is 15 pieces!

I still have some welding and smoothing to do but here is how it looks on the bike.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:34:09 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2011, 08:52:18 pm »
Looks awesome, you are a genius!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2011, 10:12:50 pm »
Much better

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #574 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:24 am »
That's bad a$$!