Author Topic: Rocker Tower Bracing  (Read 7985 times)

Offline ealanm

• Enthusiast
Rocker Tower Bracing
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »
I'm overhauling a race-prepared CB750 engine that was built by someone else (I know not who).  It has bolts through the rocker cover intended to stiffen the rocker towers.  Does anybody know how these are meant to be used?  Do you just snug them up to the rocker towers and then tighten the jam nuts?  Is there a recommended torque spec?

I'd upload a photo but I can't figure out how.
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
--Aldous Huxley

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Rocker Tower Bracing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:12:18 pm »
I'm overhauling a race-prepared CB750 engine that was built by someone else (I know not who).  It has bolts through the rocker cover intended to stiffen the rocker towers.  Does anybody know how these are meant to be used?  Do you just snug them up to the rocker towers and then tighten the jam nuts?  Is there a recommended torque spec?

I'd upload a photo but I can't figure out how.
The reinforced rocker cover was first used on the original CR750s (I think). Certainly shortly after. RC (Russ Collins), Action 4s, and many others used them. I am using one on my project, many of the racers here use them. They are mostly now made as one offs by various machinists, though some like 3M Racing have them in catalogs.

Current school of thought is that they may not be necessary as the current crop of heavy duty springs and cams are not so hostile to the rocker stands, not trying to distort them and tear them from their roots. It gives me some peace of mind however as I had some problems in this area years ago and why not? They look cool.

To your actual question, we had a thread on it recently and the consensus I came away with is that little presure is needed for them to do their job. Something like 5lbs torque and a good snug on the lock nuts will do it.

I'd certainly entertain any engine builder wanting to revisit this issue.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:52:11 am »
Yes, these were first shown on the cover of the Cycle magazine Oct 1970 where all the parts were lay-ed out on the cover with the Dick Mann bike in the background. Funny thing is, there never was a part number in the CR parts list for this cover and none of the factory bikes ever used the cover with the 6mm hold down screws! In all of my CR750 parts hunting over the last 40 years I have never found real Honda made cover like the one shown on that cover of cycle magazine.  As far as pressure, we recommend that once you have the cover bolted to the top of engine, that you then just screw down the bolt/screw until it touches the cam tower, then tighten the nut .

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:30 am »
Yes, these were first shown on the cover of the Cycle magazine Oct 1970 where all the parts were lay-ed out on the cover with the Dick Mann bike in the background. Funny thing is, there never was a part number in the CR parts list for this cover and none of the factory bikes ever used the cover with the 6mm hold down screws! In all of my CR750 parts hunting over the last 40 years I have never found real Honda made cover like the one shown on that cover of cycle magazine.  As far as pressure, we recommend that once you have the cover bolted to the top of engine, that you then just screw down the bolt/screw until it touches the cam tower, then tighten the nut .

KOS
Thanks for the backstory, isn't that weird. I could've sworn i saw a picture of a CR750 with the cover, but it may have been a misguided repro. If you haven't found it, I'm guessing it doesn't exist ... in the CR world that is.

Thanks for the confirm on bolt pressure.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ealanm

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:27 am »
Thanks guys, that info on bolt pre-load makes sense.  On mine, you can clearly see where the tips of the bolts have been in contact with the rocker towers, which suggests either that they were done up fairly tight at least once or, possibly, that the flexing of the rocker towers pushes them into the bolts.  I don't think there's anything modern about the cam and springs in my engine, so the bolts are probably necessary, for me.
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
--Aldous Huxley

Offline rklystron

• I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
Make sure the 6mm bolts are nice and smooth at the bottom where they contact the cam towers. No sharp ends. If you have to take a bit of time and clean them up. It will be worth your while.
1970 CB750 K0 (Bought in 73)
1972 XL250 (Bought new in 72)
1973 ST90 (Free)
1975 XL250 (Free)
1975 Rickman CR750
1982 CBX1000 Pro-link
1975 CB750 DRAG BIKE
1977 Custom Built CB750 Sturgis Bike (GL front end).
1977 CB750 F2 (Big Resto)
1977 CB750A (Auction Buy)
1978 CB750 K8 (My San Francisco ride)
1984 VFR750 (Bought New)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »
Actually Honda did use these cover bolts. Have a picture of a Sumiya/Hishiki bike with this setup. Will see if I can scan it tonight and place it here.

Rob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:50:44 am by voxonda »
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:48:20 am »
Actually Honda did use these cover bolts. Have a picture of a Sumiya/Nishiki bike with this setup. Will see if I can scan it tonight and place it here.

Rob
Rob - do you mean the '69 Hisiki/Sumiya bike or the later blue/red Sumiya bike? If it's the early one that picture sure would be appreciated, I've only ever seen sketches of it or B&W photos without fairings and tank, never the full thing...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:19:07 am »
It is neither one of these bikes, but one they seem to have used during the 8 hour of Suzuka. Tonight will scan that pic. You can clearly see the cover and the hold down bolts.

rob

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:28 am »
Hey LMP,

This is the picture:

Is from "Honda Motorcycle Racing Legend vol.3"

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:13:28 am »
Nice pics thanks Rob - I guess the whole book is in Japanese is it?
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 10:48:28 am »
Yes, is in Japanese. Did you get a look at that valve cover?

Rob

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:32 pm »
Nice pics!
Did they just remove the vertical bars between the cylinder head fins in the pic at the bottom or what type of cylinder head is this? Any close ups available?

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »
Nice pics!
Did they just remove the vertical bars between the cylinder head fins in the pic at the bottom or what type of cylinder head is this? Any close ups available?

These heads are milled down to the width of the cylinder block, so the fairing could be narrower. As you look closely you'll see the cooliing fins are straight(er) than the standard heads.

Offline nippon

• Hot Shot
    • Classic Cycle City
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:04:23 am »
got it, thanks.

Offline daley

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:17 am »
Is this what your valve cover looks like?

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:19:09 am »
Hey LMP,

This is the picture:

That is not a factory bike pictured and that top cover is just something a local tuner did during the period. There was never a CR kit cover and non of the "works" Honda RC750's ever used them.

Bike in picture appears to have a street oil tank and standard EOM street bike carbs, nothing Honda factory would run.

I know Mike H personally and he did a lot of , afterwork projects while at Honda in Japan and in California at AHM (American Honda Motor Co, Inc)

In fact, the chassis that is the basis of the CR kit bike I have in Barber Museum was something Mike did while he worked for a dealer in Pennsylvania, USA. It was an awful looking thing, worse than  a Pops Yoshimra preped bike of the era. But is did compete at Daytona 1971.

KOS

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 09:25:54 am »
I accept i was wrong about the cover being used on CRs. I had qualified my statement with "I think". Likely the first production units were made by RC as he had them in his catalog. Although I can't say for sure i ever saw an RC cover, other than in pictures of RC Cobra motors. 

Many before during and since were hand made one or two offs by various machinists. Hence they all have different looks to them. Some use square lugs, some round, some use 8mm bolts, some 6mm, some are allens, some are hexheads, etc.

The one I have now was made by Les Barker somewhere in the Pacifc NW. He claimed to have gotten the pattern from someone selling patterns that RC had sold.

RC used higher lift cams than the roadracers (again, I think) and thus the extra hold down strength was necessary. With the wimpy cam I'm going to use, i fully agree the reinforced cover is over kill. But I think it looks SOooooo kewl!   :D
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:06:30 am »
I accept i was wrong about the cover being used on CRs. I had qualified my statement with "I think". Likely the first production units were made by RC as he had them in his catalog. Although I can't say for sure i ever saw an RC cover, other than in pictures of RC Cobra motors. 

Many before during and since were hand made one or two offs by various machinists. Hence they all have different looks to them. Some use square lugs, some round, some use 8mm bolts, some 6mm, some are allens, some are hexheads, etc.

The one I have now was made by Les Barker somewhere in the Pacifc NW. He claimed to have gotten the pattern from someone selling patterns that RC had sold.

RC used higher lift cams than the roadracers (again, I think) and thus the extra hold down strength was necessary. With the wimpy cam I'm going to use, i fully agree the reinforced cover is over kill. But I think it looks SOooooo kewl!   :D

Les is still here in Portland, Oregon (well, across the river in Vancouver, WA). I have a CB550 race bike he built in the late '70's. You can find him at his site: http://www.vintageadvantagemotorcycles.com/
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 10:32:50 am »

Les is still here in Portland, Oregon (well, across the river in Vancouver, WA). I have a CB550 race bike he built in the late '70's. You can find him at his site: http://www.vintageadvantagemotorcycles.com/
Not to hijack the thread, but OK its hijacked. Mentioning Les made me look him up and I found his site. I think I originally found him thru the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club when I needed to have the cam chain tensioner on my 305 SuperHawk repaired. He fitted it with a new wheel and needle bearing of his design. Nice work. OEM stuff no longer available. I mentioned my project and he said he could make the cam cover, and did. That was nearly 12 years ago. If I ever get it finished I'll send him a picture.  Hope he's doing well.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:49 am »
Hey LMP,

This is the picture:

That is not a factory bike pictured and that top cover is just something a local tuner did during the period. There was never a CR kit cover and non of the "works" Honda RC750's ever used them.

Bike in picture appears to have a street oil tank and standard EOM street bike carbs, nothing Honda factory would run.

I know Mike H personally and he did a lot of , afterwork projects while at Honda in Japan and in California at AHM (American Honda Motor Co, Inc)

In fact, the chassis that is the basis of the CR kit bike I have in Barber Museum was something Mike did while he worked for a dealer in Pennsylvania, USA. It was an awful looking thing, worse than  a Pops Yoshimra preped bike of the era. But is did compete at Daytona 1971.

KOS

Not to question your knowledge Mark, but it is a picture from a official Honda book. Think maybe there is more under the sun than meets the eye.................................. But does not matter, think it is before RC did it. Pic is from 1970.

Rob

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 08:15:56 am »
RC Engineering was right across the Street from AHM (American Honda Motor Co, Inc) and Russ saw the same cover picture of the DaytonaRC750 and parts on it, as we all did in Oct of 1970, that cover shows what appears to be a top engine cover with welded on cam tower supports and he (Rc Eng) took off and ran with it, as we say over here in the states. And started making his own. This was in 1970 when he offered them.

IMHO, that picture you have posted with that cover, does not appear to be of any high quality that Honda RSC would claim credit for.

Standard carbs and side oil tank with half fairing also fits no known CR I have ever viewed or read about?

I would offer that this is a privately raced entered machine that was helped with addition of RSC parts, save for that cam cover.

We will have to agree, to disagree about this issue.

BTW, we make these covers on CNC machine with hold down bolts that are dead on, within .001" accuracy. And that can also be used as locating points for top engine to frame mounting system we invented. really the only good use for this period modification as with a max of 85 lbs for spring rate, no need for them.

KOS

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:52 am »
No worries Mark, no right or wrong here IMO. Just nice to see the old pic's with parts we still want to have after 40 years.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Voxonda 1 - M3 0
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »
Sorry Mark but the Bike in question IS a factory CR750.
It was entered in an international long distance endurance race in the production class.
The clue is in the two names on the tank, factory development riders Morio and Tetsuya.
The stock oil tank was to make way for the battery and stuff needed to run lights plus spot lights and starter. (check out the Bol-D-Or winning bike)
The stock carbs were to comply with FIM regulations of that period.
Sorry Mark, Rob wins this time. ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:57 am »
Last I heard, Mike H is still with us so I will contact him and get his take on this debate and then we can put a period on this!

KOS