Author Topic: My arse backward build  (Read 9447 times)

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
My arse backward build
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:35 am »
I've had this bike a 71 CB750 for well over a year now and I've been tinkering with it ( we'll I pulled it apart and that's about it so far). The idea is to build a cafe racer, and I wanted to base it of one of Carpy's bikes. The Tornado he did ages ago. Hopefully he will agree that Imitation is the sincerest of flattery. I just really thought it was a sweet looking bike. I have a feeling it will end up looking nothing like it but here goes.
Bought the bike off eBay $300 non running with a couple of seized pistons.
I've done a few bits and pieces to it and I'll add them as I go along, but I mainly wanted to start this because I know I'm going to have plenty of questions.

this is the way it was to start.

not to bad condition I thought for the price.

anyway since this is going to be an arse backwards build I'm going to start with the gauges. Only because I wanted to give Marcel a thank you for the great reproduction gauge faces he made. and since the topic of gauge faces and the jewels that go in them has surfaced recently. To start I popped the ring holding the halves together using one of those painting can openers you get at Lowes. Once I got it underneath the ring I was able to gently work around the rim and open it up with out cutting it. It came up nicely and I didn't crimp or deform the thin metal. It worked well but after all that effort I think the cutting it and adding a drop of JB weld might be the way to go. Only because after it was all painted it was hard to put it back together without scratching the new paint. Luckily I'm putting on gauge covers and the paint is only there to protest the metal.

This is what they looked like to start.

This is how the inside of the gauges looked after opening. The guy who bored out the cylinders for me was adamant the bike had been underwater at some stage and looking at this rust he may have a case.

A couple of coats of primer and a new black pearl for the outer ring and a metallic blue for the inner.
I couldn't find a match for the turquoise green that is inside the ring from the factory and didn't think it was so important. I'm sure it was just a light  colour to give a bit of a  backlight to the gauges. The metallic blue should bounce a bit of light as well.

Once inside the jewel for the beam had melted. and the white tube that sort of directs the light to just the jewel had also disintergrated.  First of all I made a new tube thingy by getting some bondo and smearing it on a piece of newspaper. Like paper mache. I rolled it and let it set then built up a few layers of bondo and sanded it down. There is a kink to the tube so I again went at it with the bondo and got this. I didnt go bananas with the finish as its hidden inside the gauge. It took about 45 mins to do.

I found a coloured gem in my daughters arts and crafts drawer. It had a silver backing which I ground off and polished it up so it was clear. It fits great. The jewel on the right is the original which I put a bit of orange glass paint in ( again from my kids craft drawer) to get the colour back. The photo is pre glass paint.

These are Marcel's gauge reproductions. They are first class. I got the KO ones even though mine is the K1 because I just liked the black instead of the dark green.

After a bit of swearing and yelling at the kids not to come near dad for a moment, I got the band that joins the two halves together using a clamp to hold them together and some pliers to crimp it closed. On with the Chrome gauge covers and this is one done.

Again thanks to Marcel for the reproduction faces. He has a link to buy them on here somewhere for the life of me I cant find it now when I want to. I'll post it when I get it.
That's it for now. Hopefully I'll post some more soon.
Cheers
Marek

And yes that is the correct spelling of colour. :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:43:21 am by gecko672 »
CB750 1971 K1

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: My arse backward build
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:40 am »
Very nice gauge rebuild.  Colour may be correct where you are from but out here in the sticks it is keller ;D ;D.  My Dad always said it was bassackwards :D.  Good work and have fun with it...Larry

Offline CBDee

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:39:22 am »
And yes that is the correct spelling of colour

Dang English act like they invented the language or something.   ;) :D

Good job on the gage, Do you have some shots of the ring after it was uncrimped then crimped again? Were there plier marks, or did it stay smooth? I've heard about cutting the ring... I'm wondering if this is a better way to go?
Sent from my Old & Busted PC using Myindexfingers

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:58:00 am »
Nice job! Another twist on using K0 faceplates on K1 gauges, you get the 8500rpm redline, which may be more appropriate if you've worked on your motor a tad.

Where'd you get the chrome covers? I'm looking for some.

To answer anothers post, I recently removed a ring with the paintcan opener method. The amount of distortion to the ring is directly proportional to your level of patience and finesse. I'm ham fisted, but i did take my time and there was only minor distortion. I think after some practice that will be limited further. Crimping it back on is the same deal. Pad your pliars and go around a few times, rather than trying to get it crimped on the first go. Ultimately the rubber cushion buts up against the ring and hides a lot of sin. 

This method appeals to me more than cutting and gluing, but to each their own.

The chrome covers with their own ring hides more I think.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:02 am »
As an Aussie I know what you mean about those English thinking they own everything including the language. ;D
I got the chrome covers from cycle x. They didn't have them on their website but I knew they carried them. I gave them a call and they said for some reason the gauge covers were missing from their site.

I know what you mean about the patience required to get that ring clamped back on.  Like I said, I think that cutting it carefully and doing a neat job of JB welding could have a more finished look, but  the rubber mount hides nearly everything. I'll see if I have a photo of the ring crimped back on, Im not sure I remembered to take one.

I knew the rev limit was different on the K0 and K1 and I wasn't to worried about the extra rpm. But as this bike isn't running yet and I've only ever owned and raced newer bikes something just occured to me, these bikes dont have a rev limiter do they? Not that I'll be riding this bike that way but it wasn't something I thought of before. Do they? No surely not.

here is the thread with Marcel's gauge faces. He shipped them fast and was great to deal with.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64884.0
CB750 1971 K1

Offline lone*X

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:44:44 am »
The only limiter is the one provided by con rods sticking out the side of the cases.   :o
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 01:39:30 pm »
The only limiter is the one provided by con rods sticking out the side of the cases.   :o
Or valve float.  ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:55 am »
Moved on to splitting the cases and as usual came across stubborn bolts on the counter shaft bearing cover. Stripped the head on two and had to drill out one.Have to replace these but wanted to know what grade/type. I don't think these have to be crazy strong but can anyone recommend a grade or finish?  Would stainless work?  zinc? chemical reactions , heat problems? any help would be great. Thanks

CB750 1971 K1

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:03 pm »
I was looking through some old photos of my rebuild and thought I would throw them in this old thread just to finish it up really.
The bike is running now and hopefully a few weeks away from a respray and completion.

I really enjoyed the engine rebuild. 1mm over pistons. everything measured inspected and painted. Didnt get a chance to put in heavy duty studs. Maybe later on if I have oil leak problems.

My piston rods had unusual markings. After posting here no one had seen them before.

Engine back in the frame.

[
CB750 1971 K1

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »
My clutch also was a little unusual for this bike the K1. It had the 6 steel and 7 cork plates. Usually they have 6 steel 6 cork and an outer clutch ring. However when you look up the changes to the clutch, by engine number, my exact engine number is the one listed in the parts manuals and online as the point it changes. Does that make it more valuable?....I wish. 

I got the front and rear wheels, tires and all, from a swap meet in Santa Monica for $100. Couldn't believe it, way cheaper than re spoking the ones I had.
Rolling chassis. Big day for me.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:25:42 pm by gecko672 »
CB750 1971 K1

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »
Bike is nearly all together, and it runs!  for now anyway, there is just a tiny weeping oil leak that looks like it is coming from the head gasket. I'll wait for a while and re torque the head and see if that helps. Cant believe I put everything back together in the right order.

I have a tank with knee dents Im working on, but I cant wait any longer to ride it so I have this one that I got for now.  Fenders and tank will be painted, soon I hope. I wrapped the exhaust to hide the rust and dents and found a lossa end can that fits the headers. Id like to angle it up a little bit more, it sticks out a bit too much for my taste, but for now its good. Sounds pretty loud.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:53:23 pm by gecko672 »
CB750 1971 K1

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
great looking project Gecko!  I really like the frame color and all of the work you have done. 

Did you install the frame kit?
Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:52:45 pm »
Thanks mayor. Ive enjoyed it. Yeah I installed the kit and tack welded it, but I got a professional welder to fully weld it in. Charged me 90 bucks. It's been great. I've already had to remove the rocker cover a few times to fix a leaking gasket. Well worth it. I'll post a close up of the frame colour.
CB750 1971 K1

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
nice work!  did you end up replacing the hardware with stainless hex-head bolts? 

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »
Mono, mostly but not entirely. all the cover bolts are stainless and the majority of the visible bolts, but I did clean up and re use a lot of the original bolts as well. anything that was in good condition, I kept.

here is the powder coat frame close up. I think the colour was Bengal Silver?

CB750 1971 K1

Offline ampsrampstramps

• 14SF
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »
Wow! That thing is nice. More build pics!
"When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." - John Wayne
1978 CB550K / 1980 CB750F / 1973 CB450 DOHC / 1975 TL250 / '82 FT500 / '78 SR500 / '92 XT600

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »
 I'll post some more soon
CB750 1971 K1

Offline gecko672

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:53 am »
Ok finally finished the paint job. It turned out pretty good. A good few mistakes that took a lot of cutting and buffing but Overall I'm happy with it. I have just two things to sort out. One is my turn signals are mis behaving. And two, it needs a better carb tune than I seam to be able to do. #2 cylinder seams to run on and off. So need to get into the carb again. But happy to be at this stage.
CB750 1971 K1

Offline cheftuskey121

• Super Newbie
  • Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
really awesome man! love the color combo. it just looks mean. these build threads are making me ITCH ahhhh

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 12:45:09 pm »
Really nice.  My boss used to say even new cars have runs! Be proud looks great!  Never reveal your secrets

Offline deafcaferacer

• "I'm sorry officer, I can't hear you!"
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
Wow! Beautiful bike and great build! Love the paint job.
'73 CB750k engine, hubs, and a '76 tank, on 'a 78 frame. Go figure.

Offline ferrodo

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 03:50:51 pm »
Really nice bike..you should be proud..