Author Topic: Hot tank dipping, FAQ  (Read 9579 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Hot tank dipping, FAQ
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:39:54 pm »
Can anyone help me out here.... What exactly is a hot tank dip solution and what does it do? I have read conflicting things about it. Does it remove rust? Will it remove paint? What about that POR-15 liner I just messed up? :-\

Offline Kong

• Expert
Re: Hot tank dipping, FAQ
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:26 pm »
It means a whole lot of different things to different people.  I have seen some which were actual solvent dip tanks - these are usually found at radiator shops.  On the other hand I have seen a lot more of them that were little more than enclosed batch type industrial dish washers, using nothing more than very high pressure water, detergent, and heat.  These second types are seen a lot more often at machine shoops.  The real dip types will remove paint, coatings, and just about anything else.   The washer types can also do a very good job, but more on the exposed surfaces than on interior areas (where the dip excels).  Locally I have both choices not too far from here and within a mile of each other, which is very lucky.  Look around and ask around.
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
 The hot tanks at the old machine shops used a type of " caustic acid " .  I don't know what they use now due to all
 the EPA restrictions. The cold tanks basically use a carb cleaner soulution.  You do not ever want to put aluminum
 parts in a regular hot tank. Your aluminum parts will disappear !  A hot tank with carb cleaner works great for aluminum.
 I have found that the " washer " cleaners with some types of soulutions will turn your aluminum parts grey. Always
 talk to the shop and make sure they will guarantee that will not happen.   ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
  I have found that the " washer " cleaners with some types of soulutions will turn your aluminum parts grey. Always talk to the shop and make sure they will guarantee that will not happen.   ;)

I've found this happens mostly because on the pre-1973 engines it removes the varnish clearcoat: one the post-1973 engines it removes the paint. Lubritech makes an aluminum engine paint that, if applied evenly and thinly, works great on these engines and makes them look like the post-1973 showroom engines. Simichrome polish does a good job on the pre-1973 engines, but takes more time and elbow grease.  :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:57:47 am »
Thanks for the input guys. I found a local radiator shop that does some hot tank dipping. I was told it doesnt remove rust, just paint grease and dirt. The guy I spoke with seemed kinda clueless though.

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:43:13 am »
Did mine twice with POR15, I guess I messed up the first time.  Messed up the paint on the outside stripping it the second time.  Hope you didn't let the others steps run down the driveway like I did, it gets expensive buying it a second time.  It is reusable.

I think Kit took hers to a radiator shop and wished she hadn't.  It stripped the tank a little too well she said.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:44 am »
I'd only make this comment as a sometimes painter.  If there is any kind of filler on the tank and it survives the cleaning process, I still would not trust it.  In fact I'd suggest that if you plan to dip a tank that you just go ahead and grind any filler out before you send the tank to be cleaned.  My thinking is that even if the bond is mechanically sound, as demonstrated by it holding up through the cleaning, I still would not want it under my paint job just because I'd have no idea what might or might not have soaked into the filler and what effect it might have on later finishing work.  That and you just never know what's under it.  It has been used to patch holes you know.

Just a suggestion ...
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline Gaither

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB550F
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
Blue71 is RIGHT about ALUMINUM!!!!

FWIW

Years ago a buddy put a pair of expensive finned aluminum HC heads (flathead Ford) into an engine builder's "hot tank" (would remove anything - including paint). When he lifted the basket, all that was left was two small aluminum blobs!

Best to check it out first!

Gaither ('77 CB550F)