Author Topic: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build  (Read 2586 times)

Offline tedone

78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:07:00 pm »
Hello everyone,
I decided to take on a project to keep busy after my son went off to his 2nd year of college. We were always working on our mustangs together, and I couldnt stand another winter of sitting inside. I pickup up this 78cb550k in october and have been lurking on these forums since.
Have seen a ton of awsome bikes and enjoy reading the postings and seeing what everyone else is creating. My bike was a barn find from a friend. It was last ridden probably about 5 years ago when it was put up after his niece had an accident and laid it down.
She supposedly had a high speed wobble and lost control. Its in terrible condition. Corrosion everywhere. The engine was locked up because the #4 spark plug was missing. I soaked it in acetone and transmission fluid and that freed it up, but the cylinder was trashed. I picked up a replacement set of jugs and pistons. I havent accomplished much on the bike except tearing it down. I decided to get heat and insulation in the garage. Man, I should have done that years ago! No more torpedo heaters and fumes! Now I'm finally making some progress.
I will keep alot of pictures posted as I go. Im hooked. I picked up a 78 cb 750 also. It had the carbs removed and I'm working on it occasionally, but my main focus is the 550.
I also made some brackets to mount the engine on my engine stand.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:44:06 pm by tedone »

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
Re: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
That's nothing.  Look a few threads down at how hideous my 550 was when I started!  Welcome aboard...
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline tedone

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:17 pm »
The front tire was so dry and hardened I decided to cut it off the rim.
Oil started running out of the inner tube when I cut into it. There must have been 4oz drip onto the floor. Im only assumming, but wouldnt that cause quite a vibration?
Possibly caused by filling the tire with a compressor that had a faulty air lubricator? Probably never know.

I soaked and cleaned the rust off the rim with Prep and Etch. Getting it ready for powder coat. That worked very well for eating the rust away.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:15:06 am »
Prep and Etch works good inside the gas tank too. Put in a couple of gallons and top it up with water and let it sit for a couple of days. Clean as a whistle.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline tedone

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:46:48 pm »
Hey Duanob, the Prep and etch does work great on rust, but unfortunately I found that it does well at stripping cad plating also. I had my spokes and nipples in it too. Now they have no protection. Im thinking of maybe powdercoating them? Has anyone had success
doing that? Going to the garage to powdercoat the front rim.
Later. Ted

Offline tedone

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:43:42 pm »
I powdercoated the front rim satin black. I couldnt quite close the oven door so I layed my welding gloves over the opening to help keep the heat in. The rim turned out very nice.

Offline Jt550

• Is more then just a F-in
  • Enthusiast
  • What have I gotten myself into...... Gotta Love It
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:38 pm »
Good start........ :o
I wish I had your time.....

Keep those pics a rolling...... It gives us that warm fuzzy feeling..... ::)
Tyler Durden: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f*<king khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

-78 CB550k with a BIG #$%* Eating Grin-

Offline tedone

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »
I worked at getting the engine disassembled for inspection and powdercoat.
Everything internally looks good. Surprisingly clean.
The cylinder head studs were stuck in there real good. I used someone elses idea and heated the case in the oven to 350 degrees and then double nutted and lightly used the impact wrench.  The all came out fairly well except one. I tried heating it seperately and soaking in PB blaster but it only moved 1 turn and locked up. So I want to share what helped me finally get it removed.
I turned the case upside down and drilled a couple 7/64" holes into the protruded part of the casting that the stud is threaded into. That allowed me to get pb blaster in behind the stud.
Finally after a soak and reheat it came free. Nothing broken!

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:35:37 am »
Nice project.

I guess you (or the mrs) won't be baking much after this project.
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline tedone

Re: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build (updated)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:52 pm »
Well I thought I would update some progress. Its been over a month.
I got slowed up a little repairing some of the families cars, but I'm back at it.
I wasn't too thrilled about coating all the spokes and nipples, so I decided to purchase Buchanan stainless spokes and nipples. I gave them a polish and laced up the wheels. I think they look great with the satin black rims.

I also got the engine disassembled and powdercoated. That went okay, but it sure is time consumming masking off all the gasket and seal surfaces.
I did find I had a problem with the valve seats when I removed the valves and springs for powdercoat. The #4 cylinder that had corrosion from the spark plug missing also had pitted valve seats. So, I sent the head out to have them re-cut. They actually ended up touching up all of them. It also has been powdercoated and reassembled.
I will start assembling the engine this week.

Offline tedone

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:31 pm »
I forgot to mention in my last post, that I also installed new allballs wheel bearings in front and back.
I also had my frame sand blasted. I wasn't sure if I was going to powdercoat or paint the frame. I decided to paint the frame and PC the rear swing arm because that will fit in my oven. I know PC would be best for the frame, but, I didn't have a good source and I can paint it myself, so that's what I started today.
Ive applied two coats of epoxy primer. You can see it hanging in my makeshift spray booth. I plan on shooting it with some high build primer before the final color. I ha vent locked in the final color yet, but I'm leaning toward hot rod satin black. Then, I can go with any color on my tank and tins.
Ive decide to high polish most of the engine side covers. That should go offset the black engine and frame nicely. I know that's nothing new, but hey I think its a classy look.
I will update more this week.

Offline tedone

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »
Its been a month since my last update.  Jeez - the time flies by when your into these
projects. I have completed the frame painting. Cross honed my engine cylinders and assembled the engine. (Well almost) I don't have the side covers bolted on yet. I couldn't wait to see what it looked like with them in place. I did set the valve clearance and timing before I took it off the engine stand.
To install the engine, I lay-ed the engine on its side and placed the frame over it. That was definitely easier than lifting the engine.
Its a great feeling getting to put it back together! I still have a table full of parts though.

Offline tedone

Re: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build --update
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
More---
Installed new swing arm bushings and AllBalls steering bearings.
I put the steering shaft and races in the freezer and slightly heated the lower bearing with a heat gun. It went on smoothly with a light tap. I used the thin spacer that came with the kit. I put that on top of the lower race before installing.
Finished installing the upper bearing/seal and adjusted. I have to say, that wasnt bad at all.

Offline tedone

Re: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build - rotor drilled
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »
I lay-ed out my pattern for drilling the brake rotor. Dimpled the rotor, then drilled and chamfered.  :)

Offline DanielB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Is that a zinc yellow 01 Cobra in the background? I have a Zinc Yello '03 Cobra myself, very nice!
1977 CB550K - Project Thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80164.0

Other toys: 2003 Cobra | 2002 WS6

Offline tedone

Re: 78 CB550K "Tedster" 1st bike & build (ready for paint)
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:24 pm »
Finally making progress.
Some of the things completed since last update:
I rebuilt and installed the carbs with airbox.
New slingshot cycle braided brake lines installed. Very nice lines! Highly recommend.
Ceramic coated my exhaust. It had been previously sand blasted when my frame was done. It was crap when I got the bike. Looks great now.
I don't know what the make of it is? Maybe Mac?

Assembled/installed front and rear wheels, and new nickel sided chain.
You can see in the pics below, that I chopped the front and rear fenders.
I wanted to keep the nice factory edge on the ends of the front fender, so I cut out sections and welded it back together. Turned out real nice, but it took quite a bit of grinding and smoothing.
Stripped and polished the right/left controls. I was going to powdercoat them black, but changed my mind. I can always change later.

Installed enough wiring and new battery to start and sync the carbs.
That was a great feeling. It fired right up! It was definitely what I needed to keep me going to completion.

I have my gauges torn apart for faceplate update and powdercoat.

I have the tank, fenders and side covers in epoxy primer, and ready for finish
paint. Hope to have the paint completed this week.
I haven't decided on at seat yet.