Author Topic: Removing Kreem - the most difficult project so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6459 times)

nomad

Of all the stuff I've work on on this bike, trying to remove the Kreem the PO put in the tank is the hardest, dirtiest, most curse word inspiring task yet.

I put several rounds of POR-15 stripper through it (nails mixed in to try and beat this gooey #$%* off of the inside of the tank) and all that's happened is the Kreem turned mushy.  I even came up with a contraption to tumble the tank so the stripper hit every nook and cranny.  If I could reach it with a scraper, there'd be no issue.   What a P.I.T.A.!!!!  I reckon I'll go at it again tomorrow.  >:(

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: Removing Kreem - the most difficult project so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:33:32 pm »
Nomad,  a friend had a similar problem(fortuneately I never had yet) and used acetone to remove the defective tank sealer. He brought it at Home Depot.  Good luck, that's a nasty job...Larry

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »
I've never had to deal with that either but I've heard horror stories. People will spend $30 on the kit and spend all the time it takes to apply it when for $50-$60 they can take the tank to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and sealed. I've had a few done this way with excellent long term results. Of course if you're trying to salvage the paint job you don't have that option.
If you keep struggling with it and you aren't concerned about the paint then you might run it by a radiator shop and see if they think they can help you with it.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »
I like Goofy's suggestion, but I did read an article recently on removing Kreem, I believe they used an industrial paint stripper (air craft stripper?) and rotated the tank as you've suggested, then washed it out with Acetone. Good Luck! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »
Acetone would probably work well. I have done one before that had Kreem in it and I used a real watery type,not the thick stuff, of furniture paint stripper that I use in my furniture shop.Try doing that and not damage original paint. I did,came out great but a major PITA.Lots of wet rags and water on the outside in case of a leak But the stripper and a water rinse inside took it right out.Its basically a type of latex.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:20 pm »
I'll be watching this one.  I have a tank for my CA95 that I deemed unusable because of Kreem, but if I can get rid of it...YAHOO!

Offline TPColgett

• Hope to be on the road soon...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:17 pm »
I have been stuck removing a heavy POR15 like sealer that was applied to an un cleaned tank. The heavy Jasco gel paint stripper from Orchard has been my friend >_<

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:00:43 pm »
Try the self adhesive plastic sheeting used for drop cloths on new floors during construction to protect your tanks paint. Havent done it yet but thats my plan. I washed and acid cleaned an indian tank and now have 4 more to do.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

nomad

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »
I washed and acid cleaned an indian tank and now have 4 more to do.

Did you use muriatic acid?  If so, how'd that work?

nomad

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »
I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:(

I got a few chunks of it to come out after going at it with several baths of POR-15 stripper and a long screw driver.  But, for the most part, it's still caked on thick down in the corners and generally lightly covering the rest of the tank!  Btw, I discovered the PO had just poured the Kreem right over the rust that was in there!  WTF are/ were some people thinking?

Come Saturday, I'm taking it to the local bike shop and they're going to clean it and re-coat it the RIGHT way!  It'll cost me a couple of hundred, but as I've learned, some things during this process are worth paying the $$$ for to have a professional do it.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Couldn't you buy a good tank for a lot less than 200 bucks mate?  ???
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

nomad

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:53 pm »
Couldn't you buy a good tank for a lot less than 200 bucks mate?  ???

Perhaps.  But, chances are, you might be buying someone else's problems (known or unknown) and you'd still have to deal with getting it fixed.  Most of the stuff I've seen for sale has dents/ rust to some degree.  At least if I have it done at a local shop, I know it'll be done right... to my liking.  And if it isn't, I'll know who to hold accountable.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:31 pm »
Fair enough mate, but I reckon you could buy a good original tank for half of that, and do the POR-15 (or whatever) liner job yourself.

Sure, it's nice to have someone to blame if it turns to craap, but I honestly wouldn't trust a shop to do it for me, it's a fairly detailed and time consuming job, and shops make their money from doing things as quickly as possible, so there's no guarantee that they'll do it properly either.

And of course, if they do skip a step or two in the process and just pour the liner in over a rusty surface, it won't show for awhile, so you'd have very little comeback (I'd assume) if you complained 6 months or a year after they did the job for you. Anyway, up to you mate, good luck! ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 05:47:07 pm »
Gotta go with Terry on this one. Have you tried any good quality paint stripper yet,don't waste your time on the "green" stuff get the good stuff that will kill Ya  :o

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »
Wait until you go through the process of lining the tank with POR15.  What a long tedious and involved PITA that is.  I have done it twice and do not think I ever want to do it again!

Too bad Terry is not near you, the guy is a genius when it comes to that.  He separated the bottom of the tank from the top and media blasted it.  Me very jealous of that.   ;D

There is a guy up north that does something similar but I can't find the link right now.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »
Too bad Terry is not near you, the guy is a genius when it comes to that.  He separated the bottom of the tank from the top and media blasted it.  Me very jealous of that.   ;D

Oh Tippy, you're too kind..............  ;D

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »
How long have you let it soak with the stripper inside? The last tank I had to get rid of Kreem in I used aircraft paint stripper, and then filled it with lacquer thinner and let it sit for a full weekend... Nasty fumes though lol.

If you have a car machine shop nearby have them run it through their hot tank. It's like a giant dishwasher for parts. That was the final step that removed the last few remnants of Kreem for me...
1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »
Toluene?  Pressure washer?  Fire?  ;D
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:33 pm »
yeah, fire....huh, huh, huh...... ;D
I like berries.

nomad

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 04:29:00 am »
How long have you let it soak with the stripper inside?

The first (shortest) soak was for 30 minutes.  The last soak I did was for about 6 hours.  All that happened with the POR-15 stripper is that the stuff just got mushy.  The only way that any of it came out was when I scraped at it with a long screw driver.  Even then, that was only the areas that I could reach.

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:08 am »
so you didn't try acetone???
1978 CB550

nomad

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:21 am »
so you didn't try acetone???

Yep, tried that too.  After the POR-15 stripper failed to get the crap out, I did one round of acetone.  Honestly, I think the POR-15 stripper did more damage to the stuff than the acetone did.

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:31 am »
what about lacquer thinner like I had mentioned?

Seriously look into having it hot tanked at a local machine shop as well...I have free access to one myself, but I know the guys in the shop do small stuff for people all the time for cash in their pocket...10 bucks or whatever. They just put it through the same time they do an engine block or head or something.
1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

nomad

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 08:32:21 am »
what about lacquer thinner like I had mentioned?

Seriously look into having it hot tanked at a local machine shop as well...I have free access to one myself, but I know the guys in the shop do small stuff for people all the time for cash in their pocket...10 bucks or whatever. They just put it through the same time they do an engine block or head or something.

No, I didn't try lacquer thinner.  At this point, it's time for me to let the pros fix it (if I can't soon find a replacement tank).  The motorcycle shop I'll take it to has a good reputation and I have total confidence that they can get it straightened out.

I'm still looking around for a good used tank though before taking mine to them.  I'll keep an eye out in the usual places for the next week or two to see if anything turns up at a decent price.

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
I just found a radiator shop by me (Advanced Radiator in Escondido) that quoted me $50 to burn the tank, removing all remnants of Kreem and exterior paint, then apply Redkote to permanently seal the inside, and apply primer to the exterior.  I think that's worth every dollar when compared to the headaches you've gone through. 
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*