Author Topic: New to this first cafe project 76 CB400/4  (Read 7181 times)

Offline tonym547

New to this first cafe project 76 CB400/4
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »
Hey everyone picked up a 76 CB400/4 and making it my first cafe racer project. I'm in the San Diego area and am really looking forward to this. I've done some mechanical work with my dad on cars but am fairly new to bikes. Owned a '05 R6 a few years ago which i loved but had to sell it. Been wanting to build my own cafe for years but never had the time due to the military. Now I'm out and I have the time and money to do this. Looking through this site i see there;s a lot of knowledge and experience which is great cause I know I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Here's some pics I started last weekend and would of continued this weekend but went snowboarding with a buddy and he ended up breaking his neck. He's all good had to have some surgery but I just got back down to SD so no work got done this weekend. But will be hot on it when this coming one comes around.  Look forward to some good advice....

Offline tonym547

Re: New to this first cafe project 76 CB400/4
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
SOME MORE....

Here's my plans:
Also these are my plans:

- New front end mostly for the brakes ( saw someone using a 02-06 R6 front end?)
- Rebuild and overbore the engine (saw a 466 kit but was hoping to see what it takes to make it a 496)
- Looking to get a seat made from kott motorcycles
- Keeping the rims getting them powder coated
- See if i can get some koni rear shocks

Tell me what you think

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:01:37 am »
Looking good mate, good luck. Have patience, I've been going almost two years. If you're going to have the engine rebuilt, start that process as soon as you can.

Take plenty of photos!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:14:09 pm by RickB »

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:04 pm »
Where in SD are you?  I live in Encinitas and have been working on my 550 to get it running great.  If you need help or a beer drinking buddy, let me know. 

Maybe you can get it roadworthy by the time the Rally gets here at the end of April!  Check out the SOHC4 World Rally thread for more info!
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*

Offline tonym547

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:44 pm »
Looking good mate, good luck. Have patience, I've been going almost two years. If you're going to have the engine rebuilt, start that process as soon as you can.

Take plenty of photos!

Yeah I'm pulling the engine on Friday and sending off the frame. I looked at your post and yours looks awesome. Can't wait to start seeing some progress like that...

Offline tonym547

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »
Where in SD are you?  I live in Encinitas and have been working on my 550 to get it running great.  If you need help or a beer drinking buddy, let me know. 

Maybe you can get it roadworthy by the time the Rally gets here at the end of April!  Check out the SOHC4 World Rally thread for more info!

I live downtown, but I work on it up in Fallbrook at my sisters because I don't think the HOA would like me building it out on the balcony......I'll definitely be probably needing some help and beer is always great.

That would be awesome to have it running by then.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »
 So I'm getting almost all my parts to mod the engine from the 400four store but need to find out where i can get k&n filter pods for 26mm keihin carbs. Any ideas?

Offline Industrial Rat400f Killer

• Be careful you might get a
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:50 am »
Inside the box with the CR's there will be a sheet detailing the serial number for the K&N's. You can just search for them at any dealer by that number to order them.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
Thanks I appreciate it. Talked to Kevin from the 400four store about an over bore kit. He told me about one on ebay from japan thats a $110. He said a few people here have used it and haven't had any complaints. Was wondering how they were liking it and what performance they have gotten. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB400F-PISTON-BIGBORE-54-5mm-SET-GASKET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b657ab56QQitemZ140498152278QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1200wt_941

Offline tonym547

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:09:26 pm »
So haven't been on here awhile been busy with work and school. Here's a little update though with some pics. Stripped down the frame and took that and the tank up to Kott motorcycles in the L.A. area. He's making a custom seat for me de-tabbing the frame, making my rear-sets and some doing some other mods. He's also getting my tank painted up. Should be back in a couple weeks I'm pretty excited.

Started tearing into the engine too. Taking it slow since this is my first time doing this kind of work. Here are some pics.

All stripped down

The Engine :(

Offline tonym547

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »
Also received a little early christmas thanks to Kevin.

MC AGAIN HEADERS

D.I.D CAM CHAIN

WEB CAM #3 GRIND

KIBBLE WHITE VALVE SPRINGS

AND SOME BEAUTIFUL 26MM KEIHIN CARBS

Waiting on the NOS 466cc over bore kit to come in. Getting the heads machined hopefully this week. And just waiting on the frame and everything to come back.

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »
Subscribed! Looking good. Cant wait to see all those performance parts go in.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »
TANKS FINISHED!!!!!!!

Pick it and the frame up on Thursday can't wait

Offline SanDogDewey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »

I live downtown, but I work on it up in Fallbrook at my sisters because I don't think the HOA would like me building it out on the balcony......I'll definitely be probably needing some help and beer is always great.

I'm in Escondido, if you guys ever want to compare notes.

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 02:00:31 pm »

I rode out to your neck of the woods on Sunday.  Love Elfin Forest Rd, that is until I rode through a huge swarm of bees....Thank God I was wearing my full face!  I'm sure I'll be on the bike this weekend, wanna meet up for a ride?
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*

Offline tonym547

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »

I rode out to your neck of the woods on Sunday.  Love Elfin Forest Rd, that is until I rode through a huge swarm of bees....Thank God I was wearing my full face!  I'm sure I'll be on the bike this weekend, wanna meet up for a ride?

So drove up to Kott Motorcycles  and picked it all up. Here's pics of the tank, seat, and rear sets on the frame. I'm loving it!!!!! I'll take some more pics of all the other parts he machined and fab'ed I picked up later. He does an awesome job. You go up there and sit in that garage with all the other bikes he's building and you get so much inspiration. After a long ass drive and hours and traffic it was great sitting there throwing ideas back and forth about my bike and the others in there. Anyone needed some work done or even a little inspiration I highly suggest looking him up.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 07:55:07 pm »
Excellent looking so far, you're gonna be happy when you're done.

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »
Is that tank green?  If so, then I love it!  I've been thinking about doing a deep  burgandy frame with a dark green tank and pin stripes.  I don't think it will look christmassy at all (I hope), and you've inspired me!

I also just spoke with Kevin from the 400four store.  He was trying to think of me the other day when he said someone had done a 466cc kit with USD forks.  My bike is coming out great, but I have to tell you a modern front end will not work with tank unless you get some custom triple trees to offset the forks.  Modern triples like you are talking about are only offset about 30mm, and the forks are much wider.  That creates an interference issue with the tank, unless you never plan on turning your handlebars.  I got through it by denting the tank.  Since you are already committed with this build and have your tank done, I really recommend just getting some trees made to fit your forks with adequate offset to clear the tank.  You'll keep the same suspension geometry, so it shouldn't change the handling characteristics other than making it handle much better.

The 466 kit is complete, and worked out well.  The head gasket wasn't perfect, but was close enough, and I doubt it will really cause any issue.  It doesn't come into the cylinders more than a fraction of a millimeter, and my engine is not leaking oil.  I also had Rick Denoon of DenoonSP bore out my carbs.  With the stock induction and exhaust, it required a jetting increase to 85 or 90 mains without a change on the rest of the settings (although I haven't finished tuning to know for sure).  It pulls much harder than stock too!

I have a guy I go to in San Francisco, who made wheel spacers to integrate the stock front wheel, and also found appropriate bearings to fit the Z1000 front axle to the stock wheel.  Along with that, he turned a new steering stem and pressed it into the Z1000 lower triple tree.  He charge under $400 for all of that, and it worked out great.  He could do custom upper triples if you need too, and I highly recommend him if you are looking for a qualified machinist.  His credentials are impressive, and has been in the industry since the 80s.

Keep it up, and PM me if you want my phone number to chat in more detail.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline TPColgett

• Hope to be on the road soon...
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »
Man another great looking 400 project! I wonder, is that seat lined up with the stock latch or is it otherwise secured? Also, is that the stock tail light peeking out there? Looking great so far!

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:24 pm »
Oh I like that tank. I always wondered if it was possible to knock in knee dents in the stock 400 tank and have it look good. Yes, is obviously the answer.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:40 pm »
Excellent looking so far, you're gonna be happy when you're done.

Greggo thanks! I wish I had more time to dedicate to it right now but been way to busy with work and school I feel like I haven't touched it in forever

Offline tonym547

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »
Camelman thanks for all the great advice. Thats the main reason I joined this forum you guys have so much knowledge and advice. Yes the tank is a dark green. I love it also I'm glad I inspired you do to the colors you want. As far as the front suspension I decided to stay with the stock ones, I'm ordering new springs though. Thinking about going with Ikon. I went with a NOS 466 kit that I got off ebay from a user called ozzyozzyozzy. I'll be uploading some photos of it tomorrow. Currently the bike is at my new place that I'm moving into another reason I haven't had a chance to work on it. I HATE moving....Again thanks for the heads up on the modern front suspension. Glad everything is going well your bike. I'll be definitely chatting you up later when some challenges arise which I know will.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 11:52:00 pm »
Man another great looking 400 project! I wonder, is that seat lined up with the stock latch or is it otherwise secured? Also, is that the stock tail light peeking out there? Looking great so far!

TPColgett thanks for the nice comment. I'm hoping to live up to this forum with all the great builds on here. The latch is modified, and no its not the stock tail light. It's customized from Kott motorcycles. I'm taking some pics tomorrow. The bike is at the new place I'm moving to right now or I definitely would have put some on tonight.

Offline tonym547

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »
Oh I like that tank. I always wondered if it was possible to knock in knee dents in the stock 400 tank and have it look good. Yes, is obviously the answer.

It was something I wanted to do from the start but yeah I was worried it wouldn't look right. It did in my head but i didn't know if my conceptualization would come out like I imagined. But low and behold BAM! it did, and  if you looked at the tank before it had some bad dents on the lines so I decided to go with it. With some help from Dustin Kott of Kott motorcycles I have the tank I wanted. Thanks for the reassurance though. How is your bike doing?

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:10 pm »
Tony,

My bike is going great. After two years of building, I got to ride it once. The day before I went on a three month trip to the US. So I'm trying not to think about it right now!

Rick.