Author Topic: CB550 Cam chain still driving me nutz!  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
CB550 Cam chain still driving me nutz!
« on: April 07, 2006, 05:17:40 am »
I had a thread about adjusting the cam chain on my '78 CB550K. TwoTired made a suggestion of pushing the adjuster screw partway into the engine case in order to free it up (which I tried) and BryanJ sent me an informative document on pushing the kick starter pedal to ensure the chain was slackened on the tenstioner side, which I also tried.

I can't get the chain to quiet down. It's the loudest aspect of the motor. It comes and goes as I vary engine speed, but is usually present above idle speeds. It almost sounds like the upper half of the engine is full of marbles rattling around! The tensioner screw will only turn about an eighth of a turn in either direction before is stops. I've tried gently adding tension to it, but to no avail. It seems that no matter what I do, the noise won't go away and stays the same. The rest of the common engine noise sources (exhaust, intake, valves, primary drive and clutch) are all nice and quiet, so this sticks out like a sore thumb.

So, should I pull the valve cover and see if I can remove the tensioner and see if anything is wrong? Did these engines have noisy chains to begin with? Could it be something else in the valvetrain?
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline cadler

• Enthusiast
Re: CB550 Cam chain still driving me nutz!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08:58 am »
Have you tried adjusting it as it says in the manual?

Offline cadler

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:12:37 am »
if it sounds like marbles rolling around in your engine maybe it is not the cam chain, maybe you have loose hardware somewhere.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 06:25:35 am »
Have you tried adjusting it as it says in the manual?

Yep, that was the first thing I did.

if it sounds like marbles rolling around in your engine maybe it is not the cam chain, maybe you have loose hardware somewhere.

Quite possibly, although this sounds like classic chain noise as I've heard in in other Honda SOHC motors, just with the volume turned up. I tried wiggling the rockers around while I was adjusting the valves, and I did detect a tiny bit of side-to-side play (picture the way a bushing would slide axially along a shaft), but no "slop" as if it was worn. This variant of the engine had the rocker shaft wear issue addressed, so is there anything else I should be looking for or ways to diagnose?
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:01:09 am »
There is a possiblity that its just worn out. There is a rack and pinion adjuster for cam chain, if its moving eigth turn one way it should be possible to turn it at least one full turn the opposite direction (which would give maximum chain slack for dissassembly) if it isnt moving there is a problem. If the chain was previously over adjusted the tensioner blade probably has some deep grooves in it and needs replacing. pretty simple job on 550, only need to pull rocker cover and cam as far as I remember.
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:46:09 am »
I'm pretty sure you can use bent needle nose pliers to change the blade without removing the entire assembly.
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 11:11:20 am »
pretty simple job on 550, only need to pull rocker cover and cam as far as I remember.
PJ

I think it's a little worse than that if I remember. In order to get the tensioner out you have to lift the cylinders about an inch. That means at the very least a top end gasket set. :'(

Well, then this might be a blessing in disguise, as the head weeps oil from both sides of the cylinders....

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 03:49:30 pm »
The best tool/method for adjusting the 500/550 cam chain is the valve adjustment tool.  After loosening the locknut, use the screwdriver part to turn the screw c/clockwise and hold it in that position while you use the wrench part to snug up the locknut.  Worked when I was doing it for a living...
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

www.motorcycleproject.com

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 05:59:58 pm »
You turn it counterclockwise to tighten it? According to the crappy Clymer manual (came with the bike) it indicates that cclockwise will loosen it (I'd believe you over a clymer manual). This may be the root of the problem. I'll try it the other way tomorrow and report the results.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 06:13:17 pm »
Something I've done in the past to quiet cam chain and a sticky tensioner.
With the engine running at idle, loosen the jam nut the put a screwdriver on the post and apply rotational pressure while listening to the cam chain noise.  This will give you feedback as to which way to turn the screw to reduce noise.  Make your final adjustment with the engine stopped and the engine positioned for chain slack at the tensioner.

It helped me, anyway.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 06:19:58 pm »
I would agree except that unlike most Honda SOHCs the 500/550 is best done engine running. 
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:35 pm »
Thanks, guys.. I thought about trying it while running, but wasn't sure about it. Coming from 2 of you, I now have the confidence to try it. As I said earlier, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 06:38:48 pm »
Perhaps I should clarify.  While the engine is running, I will aid the tensioner spring by applying rotational pressure to the stud/post to quiet the chain.  I then remember how much tension I added, stop the motor, position the crank for chain slack, reassert the rotational pressure learned previously on the stud and lock down the jam nut.  I don't know if the extra step is actually needed.  I just think that a stopped cam chain will exert less pressure on the tensioner than a moving one.

The method hasn't gotten me in trouble so far...

Cheers,

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 10:35:10 am »
Thanks to TwoTired and Oldfart, the CB550K purrs nice and quietly!

It turns out (no pun intended  ::)) that the Clymer manual had me setting the chain very loose. As soon as I loosened the locknut, it quieted down instantly. I gently turned the adjuster screw until I found the quietest position (too far one way would bring back the loud chain chatter, the other would be the loud whirring sound of the chain riding harder against the tensioner slipper) and cinched it down. Another problem with a happy ending.  ;D

If we still had Karma I'd give points to each of you and wait a half hour and give you more! (I'm that thankful!)

The bike is pretty much set now. Got some minor inconvenience issues (the warped speedo faces, which ElCheapo was hoping to make replacements for and the weeping oil from the head, which can wait until winter...) but the big stuff is fixed. My wife has started riding it and she likes so much more than her old CB360. We can go for a long ride and her hands don't get numb from vibration fatigue!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:35:08 pm by Jonesy »

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 12:07:53 pm »
Cool!  Appreciate the followup. 
Mike Nixon

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 11:27:15 pm »

It turns out (no pun intended  ::)) that the Clymer manual had me setting the chain very loose. As soon as I loosened the locknut, it quieted down instantly. I gently turned the adjuster screw until I found the quietest position (too far one way would bring back the loud chain chatter, the other would be the loud whirring sound of the chain riding harder against the tensioner slipper) and cinched it down. Another problem with a happy ending.  ;D

I gotta ask- how quite is quite as far as the cam chain goes?  I can hear mine, but it isn't really really loud- it is present and audible.  Is this normal?  Should it be un-noticable when running/idling?
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 11:39:49 pm »
Well, it's a smaller version of your drive chain.  But, it moves faster, and some of the noise is blocked by the engine case.  However, it is always rubbing on the chain tensioner.   And, that noise it transmitted directly to the engine block.  You're gonna hear it. If it is louder than your drive chain at 50 MPH, it's too loud.

Cheers,

Offline jph550

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 10:01:52 am »
This has been a great post!

I'm getting excited to do my first tune up on my '76 550K. I know this is something I would have to address sooner or later and now you've helped me along.

Worthy of putting into the faqs page ;D1

Jonesy, glad you didn't have to tear into the top end
'76 cb550K
with original faded brown/green tank

Offline volthause

• Enthusiast
    • gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 12:45:44 pm »
So counter clockwise to tighten the tension? Interesting (but not surprising) that the clymer would have it wrong.

I've been needing to do this as well as a general valve lash adjustment. Thanks for the info!
scott - 1974 CB550
Project Thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122740.0

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 04:54:08 pm »

I gotta ask- how quite is quite as far as the cam chain goes? I can hear mine, but it isn't really really loud- it is present and audible. Is this normal? Should it be un-noticable when running/idling?

It's very obvious if you perform the adjustment while the bike is running. It only takes about an 1/8th of a turn in either direction to go from one noise extreme to the other. Loose chain make a chattering sound, while too tight makes a distinct whirring noise.

lovecrusher

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 05:50:56 pm »
Hmmm, I noticed during the initial tune up that the tensioning screw turns completely free in both directions with no stopping.  Since I haven't got the carbs back on it yet, it hasn't presented itself as a problem yet.  However it sounds as if it might this weekend.

I have a hard time envisioning how the tensioner works with the tensioning screw for some reason....  Why would my tensioner screw freely turn in both directions like that?  Any ideas?

Also, do you all know of any aftermarket tensioners for the 550?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 06:46:30 pm »
I would venture to guess that your might actually be moving freely, as these tend to gum up over time.

The tensioner has a curved leaf spring with a rubber/teflon coating (referred to as the "slipper") that rides against the slack side of the chain. The ends of this sping are attached to metal slides that have gear teeth on them. The tensioner screw is attached to a small gear between these metal slides. When the tensioner screw is released, the spling will tension itself and the slides will move accordingly. When you want to slacken the chain, turning the srew (and gear) will move the ends of the slides farther apart, trying to flatten out the curved spring and pulling it away from teh chain. Moving the screw the other direction pulls the slides together, causing the slipper to bow outwards more, pushing harder on the cam chain.