Author Topic: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Slowly getting back to it!  (Read 128704 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Hello All,

I have been lurking around here for a few weeks doing lots of reading and learning. I am new to the world of these old Honda's. I have wanted a bike for years and pulled the trigger this morning. Picked up a 1975 CB550. Hope to start the tear down this weekend. This will be my first bike build so I am looking forward to it. It will be a nice break from my truck. Here are a few pics the previous owner took. I will be sure to post more when I snap some.

And the fun begins  ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:09:56 pm by bambuhiphop »
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
Ok, so today was my first day working on the bike. I left my camera cable at work so these pics are from my iphone.

I spent about 2 hours on it. Everything came off very easily so far. Had some issues with the airbox but that was about it. Having an issue with the rear plastic fender. Can seem to figure out how to get it off without breaking it??? How is this done?

Found a bunch of walnut shells in the airbox. So far that has been the only treat. No spiders or anything else as of yet. I am happy with the bike thus far. It seems to be in good shape overall  :)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:34:49 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Tom in Newcastle......Ontario

• Hot Shot
  • Newcastle Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:12:43 am »
Have fun........

With the plastic inner fender..........kind of pry it towards the middle with a pry bar or flat screw driver.......fenders are pretty tough..

Download yourself a manual makes thing easier       http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Put your location in your profile...........never know there might be someone near by
1978 cb 550k......stock,my first re-build

Loud pipes suck.......

If you buy something.........pay for it !
If you sell something .......ship it !
If you say you are going to do something......do it !
If you have a question about something......ask it !
When the seller answers ........let him know whether you still want it or not !
If you receive something .....let the seller know you got it !
If you get something and are happy/un happy with it .....let the giver/seller know !
If you have any kind of issue,shipping/receiving/quality/price/shipping charges etc !
Communicate

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »
Day 2 is in the bag.

Didn't get quite as much finished as I wanted. Forgot to empty my oil pan so couldn't drain the bike. Also the one wrench I needed disappeared from my box (go figure).

Have to decide which Rear Sets I am going to with this week. Leaning toward Raask. I want to get the frame powdercoated asap so I need to finalize what can go. As of right now the seat mounts and chain guard tab are going but I am not sure about the rear peg brackets and side cover mounts. Decisions, decisions...

Won't be able to finish the tear down till next weekend. This week I am going to work on some detail pieces starting with refreshing the wire harness and fuse panel.

Anyway, here are the pics at the end of the day. Working on getting everything I am taking up into a album.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:35:41 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:34 pm »
right on have fun with it, what do you want it to look like finished
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:37:19 pm »
So far I am having fun  ;D

I have taken some inspiration from a few bikes. Probably the biggest influence for a 550 is  doug_id's bike. FunJimmy and Tintop's also inspired me.

- Frame going to get powder coated black.
- Wheels will be re-laced with stainless steel spokes. Rims and Hubs will also be powder coated. Plan on going with some Avon Roadrider for shoes.
- Bike will be all LED with along with a HID system
- Will add Hondaman's ignition and fuse block
- Will upgrade front and rear shocks.
- Thinking the Euro Style bucket from BCR for the Headlight
- Digital speedo/tach
- Raask Rear Sets
- Rocket Four seat from Carpy
- Clubman Handlebars
- Color will be Blazing Copper Metallic on the tank. seat, and side covers.
- Still deciding on exhaust. I really dig the yoshi pipes that Carpy makes but non for the 550  :(
- Engine stuff TBD

I think that is most everything. I am sure I am missing something but that is the basic idea.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:40:24 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
So going through the parts I took off the bike. Seeing what I can keep and what needs to be replaced. Fun stuff

Have a few parts on order so I should start making some visible progress in the coming weeks.

Could use some opinions on a headlight bucket though. Need something a little bit deeper to make room for wiring and the HID kit I am installing. Found this on Benjie's site. He can make it without out the cutout for the gauge as I will be running a Acewill 2853 up top. I'm worried about it being to deep. My headlight is a little more flat. Opinions welcome.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:56 am »
Subscribed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:03:35 am by Greggo »

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »
Got home from work a little early so was able to get the carbs pulled off. They held on tight. Rubber fused something fierce. But they are off.

Ordered a few parts today. So moving along.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:36:41 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:04:07 pm »
Like that you're picking and choosing from several schools/styles.  Will definitely end up being your own.  Good luck.
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:36 pm »
Thanks Nortstudio... Thats the goal  ;)

Quick updates. Got my new headlight in. Same bucket as I have on my truck and they rock.

Also, got the rear wheel off. Had some issues with this but it is off and that is all that counts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:37:17 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline vrenlos

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 11:25:07 pm »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about an HID setup - are you going with a projector or just a reflector setup?
1975 CB550K1
2009 Ducati Monster 696

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
@vrenlos - reflector setup.

Made some good progress today. Got the motor out, front end removed, the swing arm off, and the wheels off. Also scrubbed down the frame a little bit.

Forks need to be replaced which is a bit of a bummer. But that had been then only real "bad" surprise so I shouldn't complain.

Next up is the removal of stuff off the frame. Going with Raask rear sets and keeping the side panels so going to take the passenger peg mounts off, seat tabs, chain guard tabs, and center stand mounts off.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:38:00 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
Why do the forks need to be replaced?  Is that the makings of a cafe table in front of the fire place :D...Larry

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 09:42:02 pm »
Hey Larry, Yup that table is command central for the planning of the cafe. I live in an apartment so I have to get creative with where I do stuff. The "work" table is to my right.

As for the forks:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:38:27 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:28 pm »
My forks actually looked worse than that. Real bad. As a temporary solution I cut some length of chrome bathroom pipe and fit them to the tubes. Universal ears fit it. It looks good. No one notices unless I tell them. But it is one of those things that is in the back of my mind. fortunately the forks are one of the bigger expenditures if everything else is looking good.
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline vrenlos

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »
You're working quick, keep it up!  Unfortunately my bike is at a friend's house (no garage here in the city) so I'm not moving quite so fast.

I'm actually playing with the idea of a projector HID setup - I've got some spare projectors from a previous car and a set of two ballasts/burners.
1975 CB550K1
2009 Ducati Monster 696

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
@Johnny - Would you happen to know the length of the uppers?

@vrenlos - No garage here either. I have a carport that I used to tear the bike down. Now I have moved into the apartment and patio  ;D Hopefully I can keep the pace up!

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:59 pm »
Not exactly. They slid on after putting the tubes through the bottom tree. So the pipes sit in that area. They were a bit loose, I put some silicone in there to hold them from vibrating.

on yours, the eyes of my smiley face would still be exposed. I hit it with a bit of rustoleum and zip tied new boots to cover that. Ive got some pictures around here somewhere.

again, it allowed me to ditch the stock ears and save some money until I could afford new tubes. Still waiting on the affording part to roll around.
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 01:45:36 am »
A-J is right, it looks like those forks will work as there does not seem to be any rust is the area of movement. And his solution is a good temporary(or permanent ) fix. Of course if there is pitting in the travel area then you do need new tubes...Larry

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
So I am thinking these fork tubes should work. Gonna follow up with them to make sure but measurement wise they sink up. Price isn't to bad. At least in my book.

Chrome Fork Tubes
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:16:35 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
Wow. Those new ones are sweet, but did you give a shot at cleaning with some solvent and aluminum foil?
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles

Offline hyde7278

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:32 am »
If your looking for a Yoshi replica exhast (like Carpys) Give Chris at MOTOGP WERKS a call he made them for Carpy and he made a small run on ones for the 550's last I heard he was out of them but I also heard he may have made some more. There stainless steel and look and sound nice, I have a set on my 550. Just google MOTOGP WERKS he's in CA.
78 CB550 (FOR PARTS)
76 CB550F

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:28 am »
@Nortstudio - Not yet and haven't heard of that method. Will have to do some searching.

@hyde7278 - I have actually talked to Chris. I am hoping to pick a set of his pipes up this week. I love his pipes!

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:58 am »
Simple:  use some WD-40 as a lube, and just crinkle up some aluminum foil and scrub away. It really works miracles as far as my experience goes. Since it's not on the motion part, it's really cosmetic, no?

Try it for yourself. Might free up some cash for other needed purchases.
2009 Husqvarna TE610

~Sophocles