Author Topic: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Slowly getting back to it!  (Read 133211 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Engine makes noise!!!
« Reply #575 on: May 22, 2018, 07:45:13 am »
Just to be clear, this is only an issue if using the starter, correct?  Kick start it is just fine?

If I’m understanding the operation correctly then yes. When you use the starter it forces the clutch to engage allowing it to “kick” over. The kick spindle doesn’t engage this clutch to “kick” the motor.
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #576 on: May 22, 2018, 10:31:30 am »
Just to be clear, this is only an issue if using the starter, correct?  Kick start it is just fine?

Yep,  kick away

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #577 on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
That starter clutch replacement without splitting cases is apparently not too hard if the primary chain is not replaced recently, giving you a bit more play.
But splitting the cases can allow you to inspect and clean or replace stuff you would not have been able to do without splitting the cases.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline algophobe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #578 on: May 24, 2018, 03:04:47 pm »
took me a few weeks to find time to read this thread. dayum... I thought I was being ambitious with my first build. great job! my chest hurts even thinking about having to take the case apart.
Ducati Hypermotard 950 SP 2020 "Percolo"
Honda cb750 café 1972 "Satmui"
Kawasaki zx6r 2005 "Garuda"
Kawasaki zx7r 1998 "Dharma" (stolen)
Honda Magna V4 1982 (sold)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #579 on: May 30, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »
Been a bit busy last 2 weeks with work. Haven't been able to get out to the bike and the garage is heating up from the weather. I've ordered the parts to rebuild the starter clutch and am just waiting for them now.

I did get a prototype delivered today for a rear brake master cover. The master was a little exposed for my like and had some sharp parts. My leg and these parts didn't get along when I kicked to motor over.

As far as the first attempt I am pretty happy with this guy. Need to thicken the base slightly and recess the bolt head opening a little (bolts pictured are too long). Then I'm just thinking through the overall look and shape to see if I want to modify anything. Only thing after that is to decide on a final material. Thinking about 3d printing the final part in stainless or a rigid plastic. I think it be cool to have at least one part that is printed.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #580 on: May 31, 2018, 06:46:53 am »
Could turn some button washers that served to seat the bolt heads as well as shield them with a bump or dome if you wanted to recess the  bolt head

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2018, 10:50:23 am »
The material is thick enough, I would countersink the holes and use flat head allen key bolts to secure it.

Offline tshrey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #582 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:10 am »
And paint it the color of your tank, that would look sick.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2018, 10:54:28 am »
The material is thick enough, I would countersink the holes and use flat head allen key bolts to secure it.

I need to add 4-5mm on the back so it clears the master. The heads already sink in but stick out like 3mil. Easy fix on both parts. I have it pulled out in the pics so there is a gap on the back you can't see. And those bolts are like 25mm, I need 12mm ones to fit correctly. Just what I had lying around to mock it up.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2018, 10:55:09 am »
And paint it the color of your tank, that would look sick.

Ooohhhh. I really like that idea.... I'm gonna have to really think about that.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #585 on: June 10, 2018, 01:08:51 am »
Still waiting for parts but I went ahead a removed the starter clutch from the motor. Pretty easy task actually. Getting the oil pan and exhaust off took more time, ha!

But, I think I located the problem. I have a pin missing!!! Should be an easy fix once the parts get in. Pretty sure this fell out before I reassembled but I am going to scope the motor to be sure. I can't think of a way that his could fall out in the motor.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #586 on: June 10, 2018, 11:12:33 am »
It has a roller, pin and spring...are all 3 there?  If you disassemble that by removing the screws then they need replaced with new screws and use thread locker...a must! There is no need to disassemble it.

I would hope this isn't a PO's sin as it affects the starter working properly...surely they would realize this before reassembly.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #587 on: June 10, 2018, 02:39:35 pm »
you are right in that the roller could not have fallen into the motor if it was in when placed onto the gear

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #588 on: June 10, 2018, 02:47:57 pm »
Likely dropped out when putting it back together and they were not observant. If it fell out in their shop I wonder if they would recognize it for what it is or think it was an odd thing.  Another reason the bike was sold. Hope you got a deal on it.

MoMo is correct about it being unable to escape when assembled.
As if there was any doubt...

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #589 on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
Likely dropped out when putting it back together and they were not observant. If it fell out in their shop I wonder if they would recognize it for what it is or think it was an odd thing.  Another reason the bike was sold. Hope you got a deal on it.

MoMo is correct about it being unable to escape when assembled.
As if there was any doubt...

The previous owner did no engine work on the bike. It had been sitting in a field for 14 years under a tarp. I picked it up for $200.

The fault lies with me on this. I missed this piece on reassembly being a first motor rebuild and all. I took the motor down 2 years ago so I don't recall the pin falling out but it obviously did. I'll rebuild the whole component just for good measure. It was literally the only component in the engine that wasn't rebuilt.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
Ok then... Motor seems to be better. I was able to get everything back together. Clutch took about 30 minutes to work back in. Just as an FYI for anyone my primary chain is brand new. So, this repair can be done with new chains. Got some oil in the bike and the electrics all hooked back up. I need a new battery but bike starts strong now. Ran for 10 minutes.

Have a couple issues to still work through. I'm not getting a rpm readout on my gauge and have a small oil leak by my filter. Now I'm running through some checks to make sure I've got good oil flow to the top end. Going to pull plugs and check them out.

Here is a video of it starting and running.  Youtube embed doesn't seem to be working so here is the link. Would love feedback on how this sounds....

I also got my brake strap made. Thanks to luvmy71 to strap turned out great. I made some changes to my design. I got it painted up and mounted. Brake line runs into and along the back so it is nice and out of the way. I think it turned out great and have great clearance for the disc and and rear tire.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:24:55 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Scramps

• Luke Warm, maybe. Not quite a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2018, 05:20:22 pm »
Beautiful, I love it!

Offline riverfever

• Master
« Reply #592 on: July 07, 2018, 09:21:13 am »
Congrats. Bike sounds mean!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=127186.0

"You wouldn't think that out here...a man could simply run clear...out of country but oh my...oh my...nothing but the light." -Ben Nichols

Offline Princeproperties

« Reply #593 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:33 pm »
Hey, just came across this post.  Also bought the C5 Ignition for my 550F and was curious if you’d be willing to sell me coil mounts?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #594 on: July 08, 2018, 03:35:53 pm »
Hey, just came across this post.  Also bought the C5 Ignition for my 550F and was curious if you’d be willing to sell me coil mounts?

So I have 2d drawings of them at the moment. I can easily share those. PM me your email and I'll send them over.

Offline Robbo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #595 on: July 08, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »
Bike looks and sounds amazing.  It has a nice growl to it.  Will have to go back through now and read the entire thread.

I have a stock ‘75 CB550 that I have running and would like to get out on the road.  Last thing I need is a straight clean set of handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 CB350 Four, 1975 CB550K

Offline Princeproperties

« Reply #596 on: July 08, 2018, 06:58:18 pm »

So I have 2d drawings of them at the moment. I can easily share those. PM me your email and I'll send them over.

Thanks for the response and offer.  Seems you have PM off.  Mind sending me one?

Offline boaf

« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2018, 06:24:25 am »
Any updates on this project?  I was following this one pretty closely before.

Thanks
Build Thread '78 CB550K Four 'Phoenix' - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171255.0.html

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #598 on: January 02, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »
Any updates on this project?  I was following this one pretty closely before.

Thanks

Unfortunately, not really. I had some additional parts 3d printed for my tail light and seat mounting. Got those completed and then the permits on our remodel cleared so I shifted to that pretty hard. Garage is full of lumbar at the moment.

I need to finish the seat design (and make it) and then re-coat the inside of the tank. Aside from that the bike is about done.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #599 on: January 23, 2024, 10:49:16 am »
 So...  It's been nearly 6 years. You ever get that lumbar out of your Garage?   ;)