Author Topic: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Putting it all back together  (Read 140710 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Installing the Exhaust
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »

Now that the brake arm has been installed,  I rotated the lever until the punch mark on the end of the shaft was in the (roughly) 12:00 position...

...then slid the brake rod joint (the dowel-shaped widget) into the hoops on the brake arm with the internal bore oriented horizontally; I dropped the rod spring down over the rod, then inserted the whole assembly through the bore in the joint, adding he adjuster nut to keep it all in place

Were you able to slide the brake shaft without removing anything else? On my 76F, it has an extra tab that pulls the brake switch, and I had to remove the swingarm bolt and lift the front end of it up in order for it to fit because I had the wheel and shocks already installed. It wasn't that big of a deal,  but perhaps I should have done that before I put the shocks and wheel on to make it a bit easier.

Don't feel bad Kenny, I had the same problem with a 550f...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2013, 11:45:38 pm »
CycleRanger, thanks for the heads up re: the spring tool. I'll have to take a look at what's available. I do have a brake tool - one of those "scissorey" (if that's a word) things with the bendy parts and such. I've had it thirty years or more and still, for the life of me, can't figure out how to use the damned thing...

been a while since i checked in and boy do i have some catching up to do.  i wonder how honda managed those pipes on the assembly line...
as for the song... the name game?

Good to hear from you, Ecosse, and thanks for the encouragement! On the pipes: Yeah, that's a good question. Probably had one tech per pipe and they went thru some kind of ritual to get it done!

As far as the song guess... yeah, that's good enough for me.   ;D

And, to all you guys who have to struggle with the brake lever on your "F" models, that sounds like a real PITA to me! Hopefully you won't have to replace it too often.

I'm curious as to why Honda decided the extra arm was necessary? Stronger/faster pedal return action?   ???

Thanks for the comments, guys; I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:33:30 am by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2013, 06:33:27 am »

And, to all you guys who have to struggle with the brake lever on your "F" models, that sounds like a real PITA to me! Hopefully you won't have to replace it too often.

I'm curious as to why Honda decided the extra arm was necessary? Stronger/faster pedal return action?   ???

The extra arm triggers the brake switch. I tried to take a pic, but it's too dark and tight to get anything good.

How is the rear brake light activated on yours?

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2013, 10:34:08 pm »
On the "K" bikes, the switch fits into a bracket welded to the outside of the frame; it's activated via a spring connected between the switch and a small tab welded to the brake pedal arm. I'm guessing the change was due to the over-all tightening up of all of the systems when they were re-designed for off-road use in the "F" model bikes...

Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0

Offline KennyRedman

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB550F, Indiana
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2013, 07:57:47 am »
Ah, I see. Here's a pic showing everything moved to the inside of the frame:

Offline SohRon

• Expert
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Electrical System Pt1 - Rear Fender/Tail Lights
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2013, 04:47:07 pm »
So, in this installment I'll commence fitting the electrical system, starting with installation of the rear fender. I know this isn't necessarily an intuitive beginning, but bear with me and (hopefully) all will be made clear. Here it is with its associated mounting harware

At upper left is the inner fender (which I've already installed! Wahoo!). Next to that is the fender itself, rechromed by The Chrome Shop (and liberally doused with Boeshield, of course!). Moving down to the center bottom is the tail light / license plate bracket; then, to the left, the upper fender mounting bolts, spacers and washers. Last (but not least), on the right is the tail light mounting hardware.

So, before I install the fender, I'm going to do some preliminary work by fitting the tail light bracket. This would be bothersome to do with the fender already on the bike, so I believe it's best to get it out of the way right at the outset. Here's a shot of the bracket and its adjunct mounting hardware: four each rubber grommets, shoulder bolts and washers

I began by inserting the grommets into the holes provided in the bracket...

...the tail light wires are then threaded down through this rubber grommet previously installed

Underneath, the wires then run through this little tunnel welded to the bottom of the fender

The tail light bracket is then affixed to the fender using the shoulder bolts and washers, and the fender is now ready for installation

Oh, and one more thing: I'm going to do something I haven't done so far in the build - I'm installing the bike's first sticker. It's a warning decal covering tire specs, and installing it after the fender has been fitted would just be a pain, so I'm applying it now

Just the first of many more to come.

Now, the inner fender has already been installed as a preliminary step to adding the air intake system, but I wanted to include it here as it's a major part of the rear fender arrangement. With it in place, we can begin fitting the fender

Here's the fender mounting hardware: two 10mm bolts with washers (upper mounting bolts), two 10mm chrome bolts (lower fender/grab bar mounting bolts), and two special oval-shaped stand-offs

The little stand-off spacers are slotted, and they fit down into holes provided in the inner fender like this, with the slots oriented front-to-back

Like the spacers used in the airbox, these keep the ABS plastic inner fender from crushing and eventually splitting at the mounting holes.

Raising the fender into position, I then threaded the tail light wires up through another grommet installed in the inner fender...

...then positioned the fender in place between the two "ears" on the frame and installed the upper mounting bolts and washers. This turned out to be a major hassle in that it was difficult to insert the bolts through the mounting holes on the frame "hump", then through the standoffs and have the fender in the right place to accept the bolts. It was hard to hold everything "just right" so as to avoid cross-threading the blind nuts welded to the back side of the fender. What I ended up doing was to temporarily install the lower fender/grab bar mounting bolts just to hold the fender in place, after which all I had to do was pivot the fender into position and the top bolts inserted easily. I left them a little loose; they're just supporting the fender for now

With the upper mounting bolts supporting the fender, the next order of business is fitting the grab bar. Here it is, along with the rear turn signals and the signal mounting hardware

There are a couple of preliminary steps I undertook before mounting the bar. These two little grommets (inset below) are supports for the rear turn signals and, as they are a serious beee-otch to install into the brackets welded onto the grab bar, I took the opportunity to insert them now. They are two sided - one side has a smiley face, while the other wears a blank, befuddled expression; and there's a slot that goes around the perimeter of each grommet as well. The grommets are fitted onto the grab bar brackets with the blank side outward, while the smiley side faces inboard and chomps down onto the bottom rail of the bracket. The perimeter slot is pressed through the opening in the bracket and holds the grommet in place

Next, I removed the temporarily installed lower fender mounting bolts as well as the acorn nuts and washers on the upper shock mounts on each side of the bike. The grab bar then fits like a wishbone onto the shock mount studs; once it's in position, the shock mount nuts and washers are loosely re-installed, as well as the lower fender mounting bolts and washers

Once all of the nuts and bolts are in position, all are tightened to spec. The recommended sequence for tightening all of the bolts would be: upper fender mounting bolts first, then the lower fender/grab bar bolts and, finally, the shock mount nuts.

And, voila!... it's a rear fender!

The next order of business is to complete installation of the rear turn signals that began with mounting the grommets. Here's a closer look at the signal mounting hardware

At top are the signal mounting brackets; in addition to mounting the signal light stems, they provide grounding for the lights, and there's a ground wire soldered to a lug on the back of each bracket. These, like the grommets pictured just below them, come in pairs - though, unlike the grommets, there's a left and a right side. Also included in the above pic are two small tubular spacers, and two oval-headed screws that affix the signals to the mounts.

I started out by inserting the little spacers into the previously installed grommets. Each grommet has two holes molded into it, and the spacer is inserted into the front hole on the grommet (below left)

Once the spacer is in place, the mounting bracket slides up over it (above right). Things to note about the above pic are that the side of the bracket with the ground lug is facing inboard; the larger hole in the bracket is oriented to the rear; and the ground wire leads off toward the front of the bike. Orientation is the same on both sides of the bike

The wire for the signal light is then threaded through the rear hole in the bracket (below left)...

...then the signal light stem is inserted into the mounting bracket, and the whole she-bang is held in place with the oval-headed screw (above right)

Both the ground and signal wires are then gathered together and fed through this little loop welded to the back side of the grab bar (below left - shown here previous to installation for clarity)...

...then routed up inside the frame "ears" through this clip (above right) and through a gap that lies between the fender and inner fender. They are then routed through the inner fender wiring guides, along with the tail light bundle

...and, of course, all of this happens on the other side, too!

And, here we have it: rear fender, tail light and turn signals

In Part 2, I'll be installing the main harness, some associated electrical devices and the clutch cable, of all things. Who knows... I might even get to the elusive throttle cables (don't hold your breath)!

'til next time
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:37:01 pm by SohRon »

hank3841

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:31 pm »
This bike is truly a work of art. I am so impressed with the depth of detail and clarity of the instructions that I'm noticing things on my bike that I have never seen before. I went to the garage and noticed I had installed one of the front wheel axle brackets incorrectly and had the "gap" facing the front! As it happens, I had the rear fender of my 75 CB550K1 off when I found this project and followed the instructions verbatim and reinstalled with ease.  Thanks SR. You're project has inspired many and I for one, will be printing a copy and using it when I strip my bike down to the frame in the future.  Oh, the song earlier was "Henry the Eighth", Herman's Hermits. I am really old...
Hank

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
Thanks, Hank; I appreciate the comments. Always happy to hear that the thread has been of value...

Oh, the song earlier was "Henry the Eighth", Herman's Hermits. I am really old...

Ding, ding, ding! You're the winner of the no prize! Go treat yourself to a brew!  8)

And, yes... we are getting old, aren't we?  ::)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2013, 05:08:25 am »
Ron - I, like so many others, am completely impressed and unbelievably grateful to you for the work and generosity to share this documentation.

I suspect there are hundreds of forum readers checking the gaps on their fork clamps, exhaust collars, brake arms, etc. Everywhere you shared an undocumented "secret" to make things easier or safer, you have not only been invaluable, but perhaps saved lives and countless $$$ to us lunkheads who may not have your experience or awareness of the details. So, a huge thank you.

A question, if I may: when assembling any of these parts, other than anti-seize for your SS to aluminum, are you using any LocTite or thread lock solution? It would seem the rear signal ears, being held only in place with the single machine screw is flimsy. Especially the exhaust nuts/studs seem to benefit from AS in my experience.

Question: you obviously purchased new screws, washers and nuts. But are they zinc plated or did you use polished SS to fend off corrosion while providing the correct shine where appropriate?

I for one, will be addressing many of these related gems and spend my day checking the gap orientations, filing PC from brackets, etc.

Beautiful work, really beautiful work!
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Bru-tom

• Hot Shot
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2013, 08:38:51 am »
i have had this thread open throughout my entire assembly. I have checked and referenced your step by step assembly with that of mine. Many many thanks for taking the time to go into such detail for us :D

bruce

before i forget, Absolute Stunner of a Build, Sir!!!!!!

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »
A question... ...are you using any LocTite or thread lock solution? It would seem the rear signal ears, being held only in place with the single machine screw is flimsy. Especially the exhaust nuts/studs seem to benefit from AS in my experience.

No, I haven't been using any thread lock as I don't believe Honda used it on general fasteners... but that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. The signal screws may be a little more robust than the pics let on and seem to adequately snug down the lights. I guess time will tell, but Honda seemed to think they were sufficient in that they used the same system on most of their bikes...

Question: you obviously purchased new screws, washers and nuts. But are they zinc plated or did you use polished SS to fend off corrosion while providing the correct shine where appropriate?

The new bolts are all OEM from BikeBandit and are either cad or zinc plated, so that's a good source. Some of the bolts that are no longer available I obtained from ebay "Box-O-Bolts" auctions. I've gotten some real nice deals from those. Something I've learned from persuing those auctions is to carefully inspect the shots of the items for sale for gray bolt heads. They are usually just tarnished and can be restored. Too many brown bolts mean a lot of rust, and I avoid those.

Fasteners that I can't get new I've been polishing using a drill, scotchbrite (red and green), and a combination of Hope's Stainless Steel Polish and Flitz Metal polish. The only SS bolts on the bike are in the engine, and I used zinc AS on those. I couldn't tell you if AS is necessary on the exhaust clamp nuts, but if I were to apply it there I'd use a good copper-based AS in that high temp area.

I suspect there are hundreds of forum readers checking the gaps on their fork clamps, exhaust collars, brake arms, etc. Everywhere you shared an undocumented "secret" to make things easier or safer, you have not only been invaluable, but perhaps saved lives and countless $$$ to us lunkheads who may not have your experience or awareness of the details. So, a huge thank you...

...Many many thanks for taking the time to go into such detail for us.

Thanks, guys! You might have overstated things a bit, but I'm certainly as much of a glutton for praise as the next guy, so I suck it up when and where I can!  ;D

Thanks again for all of the support!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:15:02 pm by SohRon »

Offline kammery

« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:14 pm »
Excellent job on your restoration !! I read in your post that you replaced the decal on master cylinder lid . I have looked and could only find it in a whole kit . Did you find it separate or in a kit ?

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:13 pm »
I read in your post that you replaced the decal on master cylinder lid . I have looked and could only find it in a whole kit . Did you find it separate or in a kit ?

I got it in a kit along with all of the other decals I'll be applying to the bike. I think it came from "CB Decals.com". Here's a link to the "Warning Decal " kit ($31) that contains the MC cover decal as well as a few other important stickers. Don't worry that the kit is for a '71 CB500; all of the bikes pretty much share the same decals.

http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/view_product.php?adminshopping=&product=71cb500k0-LabelKit-CB00298
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:40:48 pm by SohRon »

Offline kammery

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2013, 04:02:06 am »
 Thanks Ron , That's what I was looking for . The first bike I restored was a 1967 S90 . Found it in someones back yard leaning against a fence . He had the title . Back then you could buy all the stickers from Honda . Again Beautiful restoration . Looking forward to the final pictures .

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2013, 07:36:53 am »
Late to the party but subscribing none the less. I'm planning a full tear down and rebuild of my CB500 K0 over the winter and this is just about the most complete step by step I've seen so far. Impressive documentation.

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2013, 05:35:45 pm »

Oh, and one more thing: I'm going to do something I haven't done so far in the build - I'm installing the bike's first sticker. It's a warning decal covering tire specs, and installing it after the fender has been fitted would just be a pain, so I'm applying it now

Well, Ron, your build is pretty good.  I mean, is it just me, or is the sticker off-center?   ;D ;D

Now that I'm done tweaking your nose - great work, as always.  And, most importantly, I hope the foot is healed (or close).

Cheers,
G
'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »
Thanks for the coments, guys!

Gman... nah, that's just the camera angle and reflections you're seeing. It's pretty much dead nuts in real life...   8)

Thanks again to all for the support and encouragement!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:04:36 pm by SohRon »

Offline Gman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

Gman... nah, that's just the camera angle and reflections you're seeing. It's pretty much dead nuts in real life...   

Thanks again to all for the support and encouragement!

SohRon,
I know there was no chance of it being even the slightest bit askew - I just view it as my job to introduce that niggling doubt that keeps you honest.   :D  Good to see the progress and keep us posted.

Peace,
G
'76 CB550K
Stock airbox, MotoGPWerks 4-1, HondaMan ignition, Lesters

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
Been a while since I've looked at this thread SohRon and the bikes coming on well.

Couple of tips and things I've spotted.

Fitting the side stand, MUCH easier way to fit it is to fit the spring onto the lugs BEFORE you fit the locating bolt. It's amazing just how much easier it is to do it this way.

I still have a set of brand new, still in original boxes, complete set of 4 into 4 exhausts for the 500. marked 323 not the more common these days 374 which I believe are for the 550K. We never got the 550K in the UK so can't say that for certain, we got the 550K3 but nothing earlier than that. If those don't work out maybe you'd be interested in them as I'll be selling them later this year. Perfect BTW, no dings, dents or scratches.

Why is the area between the cylinder head and camcover so chipped? the rest of the engine appears pristine and it's something I'd have expected you to touchup (if that's possible of course) Not sure which pic I spotted it on but page 7 somewhere I think.

Already commented about the rear wheel spindle.

I seem to recall or maybe my memory is getting worse but the tyre pressure sticker should have gone further up the mudguard, I seem to think it was fitted so the seat protected it from sun fading. They do seem to suffer from exposure to sunlight those chrome stickers.

If I spot anything else I'll let you know.

Still loving the build and don't think I'm criticising, I'm just pointing out little things and we both know that it's the little things which make the difference between a good restoration and a great restoration.

Offline KrautKoffin

• Hot Shot
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2014, 11:38:57 am »
Love this thread
74 cb550
I now have Beastie Boys "Sabotage" stuck in my head after seeing your avatar.

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2014, 10:09:12 am »
Couple of tips and things I've spotted: Fitting the side stand, MUCH easier way to fit it is to fit the spring onto the lugs BEFORE you fit the locating bolt. It's amazing just how much easier it is to do it this way.

Actually, that's one of the first methods I tried and it just didn't work out all that well for me, what with keeping the spring stretched while trying to insert the pivot bolt. I found it easier to do it the way I've outlined, but, hey, to each his own!   ;D  It's a good tip, though, and I may amend the post to include it as a possibility.

I still have a set of brand new, still in original boxes, complete set of 4 into 4 exhausts for the 500. marked 323 not the more common these days 374 which I believe are for the 550K. We never got the 550K in the UK so can't say that for certain, we got the 550K3 but nothing earlier than that. If those don't work out maybe you'd be interested in them as I'll be selling them later this year. Perfect BTW, no dings, dents or scratches.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine with the pipes I have (HM323s, in fact), even if they aren't no-nos. If/when you do decide to sell, you'll probably get rich, considering the prices they're getting for them these days!

Why is the area between the cylinder head and camcover so chipped? the rest of the engine appears pristine and it's something I'd have expected you to touch up (if that's possible of course) Not sure which pic I spotted it on but page 7 somewhere I think.

Busted! I guess that means I'll just have to throw the bike away, now... right?   ::) That engine has been bouncing around in my garage for seven or eight years, now, and it's starting to show its age.   The bike has lots of little imperfections that I'll be addressing after it's all put together from chipping paint, oil and grease and even (shudder) rust! in spots!

I seem to recall or maybe my memory is getting worse but the tyre pressure sticker should have gone further up the mudguard, I seem to think it was fitted so the seat protected it from sun fading. They do seem to suffer from exposure to sunlight those chrome stickers.

I actually used the remains of the original fender (which I still have) to locate the sticker, as it still retains pieces of it.

Thanks for the comments, OJ. It's this kind of feedback that keeps the thread on track!  ;D

Love this thread

Thanks, KK! Always happy for the support!  :D

I might mention here that I haven't been updating due to an accident I had last fall that's kept me from completing the electrical section, but I hope to be back at it in the spring. Thanks to all for participating!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:25:54 pm by SohRon »

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2014, 04:24:57 am »
Yeah mate your definitely going to have to throw the bike away now, in fact I'll save you the bother and take it away for you, no charge  :)

Odd about the side stand, I find it a doddle to do it that way. Same applies to the main stand, if you've painted the frame and are reassembling then fit the stand first. Without the swinging arm in place it's so easy. Just fit the stand, lift it up as far as it will go and you'll find the spring goes on without even needed to be stretched., you end up with the stand somewhere near the footrest hangers but saves all that bother later.

I've seen some pics recently which showed sticker is where I thought it was, lives under the seat. Maybe the OE fender had been replaced at some time or the sticker replaced. Doesn't matter though, it's not exactly important. For instance I had my swinging arm chromed, I decided to fit the exhaust modification sticker under the chainguard ( I'd modded the 500 arm to fit a 550 chrome guard ) as the sticker was chrome it looked like the swinging arm had the modification lettering printed onto it as it was hard to spot the edges of the sticker.

Not everything needs to be EXACTLY as Mr Honda fitted it, a lot of times they got it wrong in the first place, hence why there were so many appendums issued.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2014, 04:33:39 am »
Ron - sorry to hear about your accident; hope you are mending well and quickly. I'm with OddJob, ditch the ugly bastard and start over with a 2012 CBR... What a waste now that you've buggered the fender sticker. What a hack!

Perhaps the sticker location differs due to European models or production dates. As OJ said last, does it really matter? The bike and workmanship are an absolute thing of beauty. Highest regards, Ron, highest regards.

Get well and finish this thing, dopes like me are getting the DTs waiting for progress!
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2014, 06:46:40 am »
This build has bee great and will be my main resource when I go to reassemble my CB500 in the next couple of months.

My only contribution is that the tire pressure sticker location on my 1971 CB500 is about right smack where Ron stuck it. Maybe they moved it on the 550 or possibly on later 550s. Either way, I agree the bike is trash. Whether the sticker is correctly applied or not, I'm pretty sure that the improper side stand installation voids the warranty.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:31:14 pm by wowbagger »

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »
Hey, guys! Thanks for the comments. I'd like to address a couple of points.

Whether the sticker is correctly applied or not, I'm pretty sure that the improper side stand installation voids the warranty.  

;D I'm sure you're right about that! Dang! And I was so looking forward to riding it someday...    ;D

Odd about the side stand, I find it a doddle to do it that way.

The side stand thing is, of course, just a matter of individual preference; some folks like to stick coins in their springs to stretch them out. Again, to each his own. Frankly, there's no right or wrong way to do this as long as the work is accomplished. I outlined the way that was easiest for me, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Again, I'll amend the post to include this as another method (among many) to try!

Same applies to the main stand, if you've painted the frame and are reassembling then fit the stand first. Without the swinging arm in place it's so easy. Just fit the stand, lift it up as far as it will go and you'll find the spring goes on without even needed to be stretched., you end up with the stand somewhere near the footrest hangers but saves all that bother later.

I thoroughly agree. See page two of this thread.

I've seen some pics recently which showed sticker is where I thought it was, lives under the seat. Maybe the OE fender had been replaced at some time or the sticker replaced.

Well, OJ, the thing is that In later years a different sticker was located in a different place, and it could be you're not familiar with the early model bikes ("we got the 550K3 but nothing earlier than that"), and so are getting a bit confused. There have to be a dozen or more differences between the '74 CB550 and the CB550 K3, such as the frame, swingarm and much more, including the warning stickers and their locations. The sticker here Is the correct decal and is definitely in the right place for the '74 CB550 which is, after all, what this thread is all about ("Assembling My '74 CB550").

Mmmkay?  8)

Ron - sorry to hear about your accident; hope you are mending well and quickly. I'm with OddJob, ditch the ugly bastard and start over with a 2012 CBR... What a waste now that you've buggered the fender sticker. What a hack!

;D ;D ;D

The bike and workmanship are an absolute thing of beauty. Highest regards, Ron, highest regards.
Get well and finish this thing, dopes like me are getting the DTs waiting for progress!

Thanks so much for the kind comments, Cal! Yeah, the foot is taking a lot longer to heal than I'd like, but that's just the way these things go, ya know?

I do take a bit of exception to a couple of things, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone, but statements such as  "does it really matter?" and "Not everything needs to be EXACTLY as Mr Honda fitted it" kind of lets me know that you may not fully understand the concept behind this thread; that's not surprising as its sort of a different type of thing compared to most on this forum.

The primary reason I started the project was to fulfill a promise to myself made many, many years ago, that one day I would own one of those fancy new CB550s even if I had to make one for myself. The whole purpose of the project is to recreate a "new" 1974 CB550, so assembling the bike as Honda would have done it is, to me, very important; I mean, after all, who knows better than Honda just how things should go?

The secondary reason for the thread (and maybe more important) is to provide a reference for others who are having trouble putting their bikes back together, and for this to achieve any kind of credence, it has to be accurate; otherwise there'll be a "bad moon rising" when somebody puts an eye out due to some detail I've left out or (worse) due to a piece of misinformation I've unwittingly passed on. While I'm not saying a mislocated sticker will necessarily do anyone harm, it's the principle of the thing. As my daddy used to say: "Son, anything worth doing is worth doing right!"

So that's just what I'm trying to do, and saying "Not everything has to be right" just doesn't fit the concept. There are some out there who are counting on this thread and, frankly, I'm not prepared to hand them a lot of speculation and half-assed assumptions. They expect the real deal; and  since that's what I'm trying to give them, it's gotta be by the book. It's why I carefully research each detail before I post it, and if I make a mistake I correct it as quickly as possible and take pains to let everyone know that I've done so.

I mean, really. I rejected an entire frame because it wasn't right. You don't think I didn't research that sticker before I put it on?   ::)

Procedures, like fitting the side stand, are another story and are all open to speculation as everyone has their own way of doing things. While my methods may not be the best way to proceed for some, they will get the job done, and that's the part that matters.

Anyhow, 'nuf said. I hate it when I ramble on like this, so I'll just kind of let the post peter out here. Thanks again for all of the comments and support!  :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:29:45 am by SohRon »