Author Topic: turbo cb750  (Read 15716 times)

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
  • “Life is too important to be taken seriously.”
turbo cb750
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:55 am »
im thinking about turbocharging my cb750 or even doing a twin turbo. i just want the bike to be more unique. my problem is that im not exactly sure which turbo will work with my application. i have it bored out to 849cc and use the most aggressive cam cyclex has.so far ive been looking at Garrett turbos and think i might have found something but not sure if it will work. for single turbo i was thinking use the gt15 (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT15/GT1544_454082_2.htm) and for the twin turbo i was thinking about using the gt12 (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT12/GT1241_756068__1.htm). also the other thing im having trouble with is what carb should i use because im sure the stock ones wont work? any suggestions would be awesome
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:39:38 am by orkid1989 »
“Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: turbo cb750
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:02:29 am »
Hey 89, turbo motors need special cams to get the best out of them, try the megacycle 125-N-T3.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:19 am »
Hey 89,

Have build a old style draw-through Turbo a few years ago and am collecting parts to build another one. Used the Mikuni HSR42, good carb. Just loved the rough idle, and the fact I could keep up with the modern bikes up to 200km/h.
Used a oem cam, and Boyer and Bransden ignition. Nothing else.

Good luck with your endeavours and keep them piccies coming.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »
Hey 89, turbo motors need special cams to get the best out of them, try the megacycle 125-N-T3.

Sam. ;)

o ok well my cam is .370 lift and 300 duration and it wont work? i dont have alot of experience with turbo applications especially on bikes.

Hey 89,

Have build a old style draw-through Turbo a few years ago and am collecting parts to build another one. Used the Mikuni HSR42, good carb. Just loved the rough idle, and the fact I could keep up with the modern bikes up to 200km/h.
Used a oem cam, and Boyer and Bransden ignition. Nothing else.

Good luck with your endeavours and keep them piccies coming.

Rob

what kind of turbo did you use?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:17:15 pm »
Me to 89 but I do know that turbo motors use totaly different cams compaired to normal hipo motor/cams.
Just look at the timing of the cam I mentioned.

http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/pages/page%2034.pdf

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:15 pm »
Me to 89 but I do know that turbo motors use totaly different cams compaired to normal hipo motor/cams.
Just look at the timing of the cam I mentioned.

http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/pages/page%2034.pdf

Sam. ;)

o ok well i just talked with the machine shop im having doing the work on my motor and he agreed. he said the main things i will need to worry about is the cam, manifolds, and finding the right turbo. i would love to do the twin turbo build but im having trouble finding turbos that will fit. obviously they will need to be very small due to only running off 2 cylinders each. any suggestions on where to get some manifolds?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
Ever thought of looking on the WWW.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »
Ever thought of looking on the WWW.

Sam. ;)

yep and found that a kit made by a company called atp but they went out of business and i cant find any turbo kits for sale

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
ORKID,  You should run a turbo no larger than a RAJAY " B " Flow.  As for the camshaft, you do not want much duration at all.
              A stock cam will work fine for the street setup.  If you want a better cam get one that has more lift with short
              duration.  If you are going for high performance ( high boost levels )  your gonna have to install way better rods.
              If you'r going for the looks and very low boost levels ( nothing above 5 lbs ) the stock rods will be ok.    ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:41:25 am »
ORKID,  You should run a turbo no larger than a RAJAY " B " Flow.  As for the camshaft, you do not want much duration at all.
              A stock cam will work fine for the street setup.  If you want a better cam get one that has more lift with short
              duration.  If you are going for high performance ( high boost levels )  your gonna have to install way better rods.
              If you'r going for the looks and very low boost levels ( nothing above 5 lbs ) the stock rods will be ok.    ;D

o ok i looked it up online and it seems that the rayjay b flow equivalent to a gt20 garrett turbo (both rated for a max close to 200hp). im not looking for one that big at all. i might be mistaken on the rayjay stats though. im not going to boost over 8 psi (probably keep it at 4 or 5psi)

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:56:03 am »
also i just looked up the gt12 garrett turbo and its rated for .4 to 1.2l engines and 2 of my cylinders equal .425l so it seems like i could possibly work as a twin turbo. also im thinking about mounting the turbos one on each side mounted to the front engine mounts.it will look symmetrical and potentially keep the turbos cooler as well.

Offline buttcan

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »
I'm putting a Seka turbo and carbs on a stock Hondamatic 750. The "Matic" cams are better for turbo applications as they don't have as much overlap as other cams and the Matics are a little lower compression from the factory.
Inevitability: The realization that no matter how hard you try you'll never be as cool as a bull riding monkey...

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
also i just looked up the gt12 garrett turbo and its rated for .4 to 1.2l engines and 2 of my cylinders equal .425l so it seems like i could possibly work as a twin turbo. also im thinking about mounting the turbos one on each side mounted to the front engine mounts.it will look symmetrical and potentially keep the turbos cooler as well.

Yes that will work fine for a single turbo setup.  As for a duel turbo setup, i wouldn't waste my time.  Too much turbo lag time and wouldn't produce much boost if any at all.  I just dont like built in wastegates on a turbochargers.  Thats why i like
the Rajay style turbo's, cleaner looking exhaust pipe and way better control with remote mounted wastegates that are
adjustable with the turn of a screw.   ;)   

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:28:00 pm by BLUE71TURBO »

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 05:45:25 am »

Yes that will work fine for a single turbo setup.  As for a duel turbo setup, i wouldn't waste my time.  Too much turbo lag time and wouldn't produce much boost if any at all.  I just dont like built in wastegates on a turbochargers.  Thats why i like
the Rajay style turbo's, cleaner looking exhaust pipe and way better control with remote mounted wastegates that are
adjustable with the turn of a screw.   ;)   

well any suggestions on where to look for a rayjay turbo and specs? im having a bit of trouble finding stuff on them. also im considering converting to ethanol seeing as i have to get new carbs anyways and i was wondering if anyone has tried that or if it is a bad idea

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »
Orkid,  as for locating rajay turbo's you'll have to keep looking on ebay or craig's list. As for spec's on the 300 series, the 0.25
to 0.40 a/r exhaust housing is perfect for 750cc's to 1000cc's  street engines.  These turbos can be rotated into 12 possible
positions, providing 12 options for positioning the compressor housing to facilitate the installation, while retaining the oil outlet near the lower vertical position for proper drainage to the crankcase. The weight is 14 lbs.  Rajay's are equipped with
special carbon face seals so you can use them as a blow through or draw through setup.  The model # you want is 377B25.
    It has the " B " flow compressor housing and a 0.25 a/r ratio. The model # 377B40 would be the next step up. If your really
serious about turbocharging, buy some books and go to the library for even more info.  How much are you willing to spend
on this project ?  Deals can be found, but are rare for the older motorcycle setups like from A.T.P.   ;)

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:57 am »
hello orkid,
 have a 498cc engine with a t25 on it , this makes boost at 3800 ,max power at 9500 .15 psi boost .oif you have a look at my posts in my profile you can see some details of it and my 400/4 .

the point is ,a 498cc engine ,a twin ,will make power on a single turbo .so your twin turbo would be fine .no probs . i would have a look at the scrap yard ,for a turbo off a small deisel gm ,around 1700 cc .two of those would work .or your idea of 2 gt12's would be good too .just much more expensive .

.i'd blow through cv carbs , feed the float bowls with air from a dynamic pressure take off . you would also need a fuel pump and regulator that is boost referenced.or you could put the turboes at the back ,and go suck thruogh , may be a bit cramped though .

the problem with the rajay is its big heavy and not v efficient in comparison with modern ones .

regards robert .
just do it .

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 05:39:19 am »
well i think i may have found a guy who can make me the manifolds i will need for a good price and now i just need to decide on the components like the turbo and carb. i was wondering though what would be better the blow-thru or draw through?

Offline Bamboozler

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:19 am »
Hey Orkid,

Regarding the blow thru vs draw thru, that subject get tossed in the ring quite often in the turbo bike realms.  It’s kinda like the oil threads.  Simply put, they both work and if setup properly both work well. 

I guess it comes down to what resources you have available.  If you don’t have any welding or access to fabrication weather it be from yourself, a friend, or paid help then you’re setup is at the mercy of what you can purchase.  If you do have access to fabrication, as you note you do, then your choices expand and the limiting factor comes down to budget. 

I think blow thru gives you more flexibility for mounting and choosing your turbo, it can be mounted anywhere on the bike and can also make use of an intercooler.  If you choose draw through you should choose a turbo that has a carbon ring on the compressor as noted by Blue and its best to keep the turbo in close proximity to the intake manifold for better fuel atomization; which might work great if you want the turbo mounted behind the motor.

All I know regarding cams (limited) is what has been noted above by buttcan and Blue, that being little overlap is desirable (the period of time both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time). I believe this limits the pressurized intake charge from pushing the air/fuel right out into the exhaust.  The cam that Sam pointed out does well in this area, with only a few degrees of overlap.

I have had luck using the stock carb rack on my setup.  With a little prep the stock cable slide carbs seem to work well.  CV carbs would probably work better if going blow thru, but if you are budget limited using your stock carb rack is an option.

A good resource for turbo bike knowledge and information is here: http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?board=forcedinduction
'78 CB750F Turbo, 101 rwhp @ 8 PSI (Project thread)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
'78 CB750F basket case crying for a resto
'78 XL250S
'78 Suk GS750E
Digital Ignition project (Project thread)

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:28 am »
 Here's an old post that might help you some .................http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58771.0     ::)

Offline orkid1989

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:07 am »
wow i figured intercooler would be out of the question due to the size and all the extra plumbing. also thanks for the links.

Offline Bamboozler

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 10:44:31 am »
Orkid,

Another resource to looking is the Moto GPwerks member that posts on this board. Last I read they are or were making a draw through kit for the CB. May want to contact them and find out, estimated price was quite reasonable for their kit.

In my spare time I’ve been looking to create a kit that’s reproducible as well, we’ll see where it goes.  I wish I could help ya out as well but don’t have anything to that point yet.  I picked up pushing header again the last few weeks when time permits and have a basic shape that I’m happy with.  The top right 90 and wedge under it needs to be reworked yet to merge better (gapped a bit currently), but a weld jig followed by cut jigs are next on the list. The real challenge comes with the cut jigs, there are some challenging parts to recreate. That success or lack there of will determine weather it’s a one off, scrapped for something else, or something that can be reproduced.

Schedule 10 stainless butt weld els make the tight turns possible without cheating the bends. This allows the turbo to clear the oil filter and stock front fender.  Should be fully argon back purge welded.  This guy is setup up with a T25 flange, a Garrett GT1548 is the turbo that I’ve been using for test fitment/clearance.

Would like to see how an inline intercooler running along the left side to the air intake/carb(s) with an air scoop to divert air through it would work to save making a plumbing jungle gym.  All in all it’s been a fun fab project.  If anything maybe you can use the pics to get an idea for your fab guy to work with.

'78 CB750F Turbo, 101 rwhp @ 8 PSI (Project thread)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
'78 CB750F basket case crying for a resto
'78 XL250S
'78 Suk GS750E
Digital Ignition project (Project thread)

Offline imabass

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:43 am »
What is the latest on your turbo setup?  I am looking at building a 836, using K pistons and F head to reduce compression.  I am also going to set it up with fuel injection and a turbo.

I plan to use this in my aftermarket chopper frame.