Author Topic: CB400F Starter Motor Bush  (Read 1831 times)

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
CB400F Starter Motor Bush
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:05 am »
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a replacement part for my starter motor. It's shorting out internally and my auto electrician tells me it's a worn rear bush. He said it looks like a thick washer.

Now the trouble is, like the oil pump, Honda doesn't provide part numbers for the internals of the start motor. At least not on the CMSNL parts fiche.

So can anybody tell me what the correct dimensions are for that bush and/or if it has a part number?

Thanks guys,
Rick.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
Re: CB400F Starter Motor Bush
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:53:29 am »
Well I couldn't find the bush locally so I've got a used starter motor coming. $80 for essentially a bush that may or may not be any better than the one I have!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »
I don't doubt your guy but I've never had one of these fail in normal use. I had one guy melt the insides of his 750 starter by running it for about 20 minutes off a car battery... but that's not normal. The starter motor will probably last longer than the bike if used for a second or so every start.
I haven't even replaced brushes or resurfaced a commutator. I have dismantled a few to clean and lube the bearings and gearcase but that's all. I don't recall seeing anything like the "bush" you describe but I haven't been in one for years.
Anyway I was going to suggest getting another used one but you already did.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:26 am »
Bodi,

I know, I haven't heard of one failing either. However my bike was a real POS when I got it.

So in the end I just found a replacement stator motor. My old one spun with a grinding noise. I thought that was normal until I spun the replacement one. It was smooth and quite. Now it doesn't short my battery either.

Looking at it, to replace the metal bush would require drilling it out and a lathe to make a new one. Given that starter motors are easily found on the net, I wouldn't bother. Replacing the whole motor was the answer.

Problem solved.

Rick.