Author Topic: Needle Jet "Collar" Removal??  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
Needle Jet "Collar" Removal??
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:58 pm »
I'm trying to get the best vaporization possible out of my CB650's carbs. In order to do this, I need to modify them a bit. How do I remove the main needle jet collar?

This isn't my carb, but it shows what I'm trying to get out...
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline Gears

• Enthusiast
Re: Needle Jet "Collar" Removal??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:18 pm »
It's really easy. Get a piece of 1/4" dowel, sharpen one end(kind of like a pencil) and use it to push the collar out(push them from the top down into the bowl).

Well, at least this is how I did it on the carbs from my CB750. They look similar to yours.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:45:10 pm by Gears »

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »
It's really easy. Get a piece of 1/4" dowel, sharpen one end(kind of like a pencil) and use it to push the collar out of the bottom(you might be able to use a pencil, I don't know).

Does it go down toward the emulsifier tube or up towards the slide/needle?
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:25 pm »
If anybody is interested in why I want to remove the needle jet collars, look no further than HERE.
By moving the jet upward away from the bridge and knife edging the discharge hole the fuel was both atomized and dispersed far better. This resulted in an appreciable increase in output on the Chrysler Avengers quenchless chamber engine.

The key to the increased atomization and reduced wet flow was the sharp and microscopically ragged edge of the jet and the relocation of the discharge point within the carb body. By moving the jets discharge point away from of any nearby surface that the fuel might attach itself too prior to becoming dispersed in the air produced better down stream dispersion. So how was the atomization produced by this set up? The fuel left the jet like a fog. Where as flash photo’s had revealed small droplets in the stock Stromberg’s discharge from the jet the revised design showed none as the droplets were far too small to show as such.
Doug

Offline Gears

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »
Down towards the bowls