Author Topic: Painting polished Aluminium?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Boehler

Painting polished Aluminium?
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:34:58 am »
Hy, i saw some nice shots of Painted and polished aluminium tanks and other parts, but , how is this done?
has someone a clue how they prepare the surface?
is the color sealed with clear? or is the whole tank sealed with a coat of clear?

here are some shots of what i mean:
stolen from bikeexif:

KingCustomCycles.com

Re: Painting polished Aluminium?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:33:07 am »
Aluminum will polish to look like chrome, but in that condition, no clear I know of will bond properly.  If that were possible, the antique aircraft guys would be all over it.  That tank looks like a nice polish job kept up with waxes and an occasional metal polish.

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:09:06 am »
I'm curious as well, how do you get the paint to bond to the polished ally?

bollingball

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:22:37 am »
I doubt the painted part was polished. It sure looks good.

Offline haill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:05 am »
why don't you ask the guy over at bikeexif? the builders oftend field questions about their work.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:00 am »
You can clear coat anything, i don't think that tank is too highly polished, what they do is get the alloy blemish free and really clean and then clear coat it. A lot of that shine is brought out by the clear, the tank doesn't have to be that shiny too look shiny, its the clear that creates the shine. I have repaired a clear coated surfaces that were worn by lightly sanding it, this makes it look very cloudy but when  the new clear coat is applied it  brings the transparency and shine back. It can definitely be done. You would have to look at something like polyurethane UV rated clears, like they use on some boats, there are even some good epoxy 2 part clears that are very good. I work with industrial clear coats and epoxy products, if you look around you will find something that will do the job. I have also seen highly polished mag wheels {on an old GSXR} that had been clear coated and looked great although i don't know how long the finish lasted....
 I plan on looking further into this on one of my projects but it will be a way off yet....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »
A couple theories -

1.  Polish the entire tank, then mask off the areas that won't get paint, then scuff/sand or lightly sandblast the remaining area so the paint has something to adhere to.   After it's painted, a pinstripe could help cover the edge of the painted area.
Not too hard.  You could make stencils at a local sign shop.

2.  Although I think it's probably painted,  it's possible that it is a printed vinyl decal that has been applied to the polished tank.  The lettering has some shading as well as shadows.   While you could airbrush those,  it would be pretty easy to design that and have it printed & cut to shape.

To me, it seems like it has a clear over the entire piece.   The "shine" seems toned down just a bit.  A piece of aluminum that is fully polished to a mirror shine will be a bit brighter than one that has a clear coat.

Very nice, clean and tasteful look.  I might have to borrow that for my current build.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Boehler

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »
hmmm strange, nobody has done this before here?
I tried to google this, but with no usable results.
So i posted the question on bikeexif today, probably i will get a answer.
If someone answere overthere, i will post it here.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:18:28 pm »
Looks a bit like a decal to me as well.

Offline Silverback

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:28:31 am »
It looks like a decal to me, but the description says that it is painted on. With the correct stencils and artist, that paint job is not unobtainable. Like anything complicated it takes skill, time and patience to do it right. You can paint/clear on any surface if you use the right technique and take all the necessary steps. I have cleared metals before, but it take several sessions of dusting clear over the parts, lightly sanding and repeating as necessary to get enough build up to lay down a heavy coat. I spray lacquer over metal parts all the time. It seems to be a much easier process than automotive clear coat. This protects the aluminum and maintains the shine.
Chris
"It's hard to define soul. You get it in art. You get it in music, and occasionally you get it in machinery."
78 CB750F racer
78 CB750F stock
75 CB750K Baby Blue Sold (She was a great bike!)
71 CB750K (rusty rod)
77 cb550F Sold :(  Bought it Back :)
Basket case 73 CB750, 77 CB750F (Building now)
01 Aprilia Falco
76 kz400
96 BMW K1100LT

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:40 am »
You can clear coat the polished metal, but you need patience to do it right. Light coat, sand, light coat sand, 3-4 times and then you should be able to lay down a heavier coat.
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)