Author Topic: Speedometer / Tachometer - Polish / Repaint  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Pain

• Female
  • Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550F (2)
Speedometer / Tachometer - Polish / Repaint
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:36 pm »
ok... i did the paint can opener trick on my tachometer (i literally spent hours wiggling it very slightly so it would be perfect)... worked pretty good, but i'm a little worried about putting it back together. i sanded and polished the aluminum casing, the old faded red line paint rubbed off the face plate with paint thinner so now it looks very clean.. i would like to repaint it. i need to figure out a stencil technique (including font / font size) to match the original and also color. i bought some testor's 1103 red model paint. were the original gauges really red and faded that bad to light orange? if so, that's crazy. i also scratched the lens, which i assume is glass (someone please confirm), with a scotch brite pad, so if anyone can confirm i will order some glass polish.

i live for my dream, and a pocketful of gold...

Offline wrenchmuch

• Hot Shot
Re: Speedometer / Tachometer - Polish / Repaint
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:24:26 am »
Someone posted a auction for a new 72 750 a while back . There was no shot of the tach face but here's the one from the speedo . Colour should be the same .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:55:33 pm by wrenchmuch »
CB750K1
CB750K4

Offline Pain

• Female
  • Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550F (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:56 am »
that's pretty. mine is more of a green than blue (as yours appears). maybe there's a difference between 72 and 76. i think the hardest part will be stenciling the number 10 and dashes.

Offline Vintage Esquire

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:44:33 am »
I went through the same level of teardown, clean, polish, etc on my clocks.  I used a q-tip and water on the numbers to get some yellowing off.  Mine didn't turn out as well as yours! If I had them apart again (after hours and hours of work), I would have purchased some of the new stick on decals to reface the dials.  I think I've seen some that look original online.

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:08:56 am »
I believe it is possible to get stick on decals, but Iv'e been told they come in pairs ie speedo and tacho. A google search should highlight suppliers, but I should have thought some one here will know where to get them from.
 My lenses are glass.
By the way it looks like you have done a cracking job on the tach body.
The older I get the faster I used to be!!!!

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »
Your parts look great.

I'm not sure why I noticed this, but that's the 5th edition of the APA manual on the second shelf, isn't it?

1977 CB550F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »
that's pretty. mine is more of a green than blue (as yours appears). maybe there's a difference between 72 and 76. i think the hardest part will be stenciling the number 10 and dashes.
That one is a CB750. YOurs is a 500/550? As there ain't no CB750s with a 9500rpm redline.

Lecram has some of the best replacement faces, at least for 750s. On this forum and eBay.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline vgraph

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »
Hi,He is the link for new gauge faces and vintage decals for most older bikes.http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?hon_sm.html~main

Offline Pain

• Female
  • Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550F (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:00 pm »
vgraph, thanks for the link. they don't have a cb550 gauge though, but i'm sure it will help someone.

Offline Pain

• Female
  • Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550F (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »
sorry guys, been busy..

Accolay: yes, that is an APA manual.. how the hell did you see that? haha

also, i hate to say it, as it may seem embarrassing.. but the reason i got that face so clean was i tried to hand paint the red on.. (don't ever try this) it turned out to look like #$%* and was a lot harder than i imagined.. so i just assumed i ruined the face as it sat around for a few weeks with red paint on it. anyway, i also have a white background gauge with black letters that someone on here made for me, but i like the original look better.. so i toyed with the idea, and then i found sea foam in my apartment the other night and said, hmm.. that should eat paint. haha. and yeah it did. perfect job. i dabbed a paper towel with sea foam, scrubbed... repeat til it was clean, then soapy water, scrubbed, repeat maybe, then rinsed in water, and dried with paper towel. i just need to fill in the red line now. so i'll look for those stencils.

and yeah, i spent forever hand sanding that over winter.. so thanks.

Offline lone*X

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:07:53 pm »
Pain, have you looked at this thread?  Addresses your issue exactly.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=91396.0
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline Pain

• Female
  • Enthusiast
  • 1976 CB550F (2)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »
#winning!

thanks lone*x