Author Topic: piston coatings, are they worth it?  (Read 8345 times)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
piston coatings, are they worth it?
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
hello guru's.  i was wondering if piston coatings are worth it??  i was thinking of having cycleX do my 4th over pistons with it.  they offer the ceramic top coating and skirt coating for oil shedding for $129 for a set of 4 pistons.  i know this isn't a high hp motor, but i'm running about .010" decking for increased compression along with a fully balanced and slightly lightened reciprocating assembly.  also, would the rocker arms and shaft coatings be good? 

here's the link for the ad, bottom of the page:  http://cyclexchange.net/High%20Performance.htm

i figured for less than $250, this would be a good way to free up a LITTLE power and help the engine run a little better and cooler.  if you can't tell, i'm planning on overbuilding my motor because i can!   ;D ;D

thanks!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: piston coatings, are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:39:51 am »
if you can't tell, i'm planning on overbuilding my motor because i can!   ;D ;D

Me too and i am getting piston tops done, {can't do skirts as bores are already done} and rockers and maybe a few more bits..... Piston coatings will reduce heat , so why not... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:25:29 am »
I guess that at the end of the day mate, it has to be beneficial.

Simply thinking, less friction = less heat and vice versa.

The coated rocker shafts and rocker arm pads will be a plus along with Rob's (Voxonda) Ti adjustor nuts and I think that is a good step in the right direction.

Megacycle also offer a weld and grind service for the rocker arm pads.

Along with the coating and some of this stuff, you should be on a winner.

http://www.rogerstii.com/catalog/100_1728.jpg
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:51 am »
I'm pretty sure you can coat the skirts even if the bores are already done.  This is what I've heard from others before...

And the hardweld is just TOO expensive mick!  I've looked this route, which is why a coating is a better deal to me...  And I def plan on using redline for the assembly lube!! 

Also, I asked Swain Tech for their recommendations, i believe they even have transmission coatings!  :)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:00:21 am »
I'm pretty sure you can coat the skirts even if the bores are already done.   This is what I've heard from others before...

And the hardweld is just TOO expensive mick!  I've looked this route, which is why a coating is a better deal to me...  And I def plan on using redline for the assembly lube!! 

Also, I asked Swain Tech for their recommendations, i believe they even have transmission coatings!  :)
I don't know how many microns are in the coating, and calculating the final clearances is a necessity.
It may be fine in an iron bore, but firstly, I'd want to be 110% sure.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:02:09 am »
I spoke to Ken regarding coating 550 rockers.  He said he can only do those that have not worn through the original finish.  Those need to be hard welded to get back to spec.  Mike is currently getting a set welded for me, and if my 2nd set are OK I will probably send them to Ken.

Regarding coating piston skirts.  If the cylinders are already bored to fit the pistons, adding a coating will decrease the clearance, and probably make things too tight. 
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »
I used Kalgard coatings on everything in the late 70's. Skirt coatings don't need extra clearance. If properly applied they only add .0003 and it will burnish to fit. I've heard of people applying it much too heavy and having the motor tighten up and stop. After cooling and dissasembly no perceptible damage was found,.. talk about anti-seize!!. You don't coat the ring area so it leaves the ring/bore relationship unchanged.

The biggest problem with these coatings is that the moly separates from the carrier so badly that you need to mechanically stir with a drill before using. You can shake all day and then stir with a screwdriver and see there's a half inch of settled moly in the bottom. most people don't realize this and use it anyway. The result is a much too thick application of the clear carrier and too little moly. If it comes out glossy, you are doing it wrong.

When I do gearboxes, I always polish down buildup on shafts where there is a bearing fit and let the rest of it burnish to fit.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »
Ya I heard that the coatings are below the tolerances for piston to bore clearance, and this would cause no problems.  I believe that Swain coats the pistons at 0.0004" on the high side, unless you want a thick coating.

Thanks for the info on the rockers TT!  What are some indications of pad wear through the original finish?  Im pretty sure mine are in good enough condition, but I need to make sure! 

Also, thoughts on the oil shedding for the rods and rocker bodies?  I think the would help, even with the rocker shaft hold down chamfered holes drilled as HM recommends.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »
Not sure if CycleX would agree, but the 4th one down would appear to be suspect in the photo here.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=85698.msg968917#msg968917
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »
Thanks for that TT.  I think mine are quite fine!! 

Any thoughts on getting the cam lobes done as well?  With the same coating as the rocker arm pads...O

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
Ya I heard that the coatings are below the tolerances for piston to bore clearance,

I asked Mike Rieck and he said that mine was fine to coat the piston tops but not the skirts, my bore is aluminium with Nikasil coating....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:41:15 pm »
I guess I just need to wait for Swain's recommendation...  Either way, I want the tops and bottoms/insides coated with the ceramic and oil shedding, along with the rods and rocker arms...

I think it's worth the money.  Not going to get a REALLY noticeable power increase on a street motor, but smoother running and better longevity is always a big plus!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 01:03:00 am »
I had ALL (almost) my parts (cam, rockers, pins, cam bearings, chains, sprockets, pistons, transmission, etc) cryogenically treated. This is claimed to reduce friction and improve strength, without adding a coating which will eventually come off.

Little actual testing on either cryo or coatings I think, just lots of claims and anecdotal evidence. Car guys use Cryo on transmission a lot.  Readup.  Much cheaper than coating and as i say, can't come off and doesn't change any clearances.

Cryogenic Treatment of Engine Parts

http://www.nwcryo.com/motorsports.html

http://www.cryogenicsofindiana.com/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:08:02 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 04:50:16 am »
DLC Coating is another process that has a wide variety of applications.
http://www.richterprecision.com/dlc-coatings.html
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 05:24:16 am »
I like piston coatings. I have had excellent results using Swain.....good people.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:19 am »
I like coatings too but there are a lot of ways to screw up using them. Bead blasting heads and cases brings with it a lot of potential for damage and should be taken very seriously. A few specs of abrasive trapped somewhere can do a lot of damage. its easy to trade a small gain for a big loss.

I think I believe in Cryo treating but all the wild claims are killing its credibility. That one link starts right off with dyno graphs showing big power gains,.. how does that happen :o The other claims 50-60% better durability and twice the wear.

If it were that easy no engines would ever blow up.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:55 am »
I like coatings too but there are a lot of ways to screw up using them. Bead blasting heads and cases brings with it a lot of potential for damage and should be taken very seriously. A few specs of abrasive trapped somewhere can do a lot of damage. its easy to trade a small gain for a big loss.

I think I believe in Cryo treating but all the wild claims are killing its credibility. That one link starts right off with dyno graphs showing big power gains,.. how does that happen :o The other claims 50-60% better durability and twice the wear.

If it were that easy no engines would ever blow up.
I agree mostly. So I'll play the advocate. The HP gains can come 75% from the transmission. It is common knowledge transmission friction sucks the life from an engine. Some say 10% HP lost in the tranny. So if you can better that by half, you'll gain a lot. Any other gains are gravy.

The one drag race shop testimony on the Indiana site, has pretty easy proof. They would get 3 to 5 runs from a top fuel block between teardowns. With Cryo thats up to 15 runs.

But as i said, these are anecdotes and hard numbers hard to come by. Still... can't the same be said for coatings?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:21:28 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:23:25 am »
Oh yeah, one more thing. Racing engines will always blow up. No matter what one does to make them last, that just means you run them harder and then boom.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »
Thanks for the cryo reminder Ron!!  I totally had a brain fart for that!  I def want to get the trans treated, along with any and all other parts i can!

Here's the reply from Swain in regards to coatings:

Garrett,

Thanks for writing.  Having the piston tops coated with our TBC and skirts
coated with PC-9 would be your #1 priority.  If it is a race motor you may
consider having us apply the TBC to the combustion chambers and exhaust
ports.  

Coating the valve train components will not help enough to justify the cost.
That motor does not turn enough RPM to really benefit from oil shedding
coatings and even if it did spin fast enough to benefit from oil shedding
coatings their benefit is so marginal they are usually reserved for the
highest levels of racing where cost is not a significant concern.  

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the cryo reminder Ron!!  I totally had a brain fart for that!  I def want to get the trans treated, along with any and all other parts i can!

Here's the reply from Swain in regards to coatings:

Garrett,

Thanks for writing.  Having the piston tops coated with our TBC and skirts
coated with PC-9 would be your #1 priority.
If it is a race motor you may
consider having us apply the TBC to the combustion chambers and exhaust
ports. 

Coating the valve train components will not help enough to justify the cost.
That motor does not turn enough RPM to really benefit from oil shedding
coatings and even if it did spin fast enough to benefit from oil shedding
coatings their benefit is so marginal they are usually reserved for the
highest levels of racing where cost is not a significant concern. 
That is what I do Garrett. I have had some stuff cyro aged....crank and rods....they never broke. I think it helps.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »
ya, i wanted to get my crank done as well as the rods.  also, def. want to get the entire trans done, kickstart shaft, and anything else i can think of!  ROn, i'll check out your thread again to see what all you had cryo'd, unless you have a "handy" list of what all you sent.  i'll just go ahead and send it up to you guy too!   :D

Mike, do you think the rods would be worth the slight bit of extra money to have cryo treated even tho you've already shot peened them?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »
ya, i wanted to get my crank done as well as the rods.  also, def. want to get the entire trans done, kickstart shaft, and anything else i can think of!  ROn, i'll check out your thread again to see what all you had cryo'd, unless you have a "handy" list of what all you sent.  i'll just go ahead and send it up to you guy too!   :D

Mike, do you think the rods would be worth the slight bit of extra money to have cryo treated even tho you've already shot peened them?
I did not have my crank and rods done, as they wre already assembled when i stumbled across Cryo. I won't be making enough horsepower to threaten the crank, or the Crower rods, and there is no friction to speak of except the cam chaiin sprocket and the primary chain sprockets. Nor did i have the HD primary chains done as the schedule didn't permit. Other wise: top down: cam, rockers, pins, cam bearings, cam chain sprckt, cam chain, pistons, rings, pins, full tranny and most of the bearings, most of which are also new, shift forks, drum, kick shaft (also shot peened), clutch basket, hub, pressure plate, drive sprocket, rear sprocket, brake discs, ... and that's probably it.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 06:29:49 pm »
I didn't think you could do bearings, as the seals could be damaged?  Thanks for that list, nice to know it can be done!  And the price is pretty darn cheap too!!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 06:41:40 pm »
I didn't think you could do bearings, as the seals could be damaged?  Thanks for that list, nice to know it can be done!  And the price is pretty darn cheap too!!
Most of the intereior tran bearings are not sealed. Even if they are, as long as the part is not moved, they Cryo them anyway. As in ORing chains are cryo'd. But always ask the tech first, and put them on the hook.

If you're going with Cryo of Indiana be sure you get hold of the guy first, don't just ship it there out of the blue. Inventory it for him and you, count the pieces. 

Once they got on my case, 3 separate lots, they each went smoothly. But it was difficult to get him on the phone, initially.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:38 pm »
cool.  i'll give them a call and see about pricing.

Mike, where do you have your stuff treated?