Author Topic: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 9/11/14  (Read 51678 times)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS LAST UPDATED 10/25/06-> BLACK WHEEL PICS !
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2006, 03:36:30 pm »
Looks great very industrial mad max ish
Ya - the bike is def. turning into a mad-max/industrial street fighter kinda thing - which is cool... ;D
PT-The wheels look perfect. let us know if you have any probs with the paint staying on. I am planning on dissassembly and powdercoat for that very reason.
Thanks man, they do make the bike look killer (I must admit ;D)
I sanded down the wheels with various grits of sandpaper - then sprayed them with some black etching primer - and then unloaded about two cans of Dupli-color low-gloss engine enamel on them. I know how hard it was to get that crap off my old tank, so I am guessing I will be OK with it staying on the wheels. If it does start to flake/look crappy , I plan to do another set in powdercoat and call it a day..
We shall see how they hold up next season...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2006, 04:44:12 pm »
Looks great very industrial mad max ish

LOL.  ..  yeah, that's what I am talking about. . . that's the look I really like - that kinda industrial Post-Apocalyptic l@@k. ..

now, are you going to wear body armor made out of black leather with spikes and tire bits, too.  . .also, don't forget a bright red mohawk     ;D
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2006, 05:31:52 pm »
Proteal,

That bike looks BAAAAAAAAD@aaaaa$$sssss!!!!!!!!!

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline Chris Liston

• Expert
    • http://christopherliston.com
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2006, 05:37:26 pm »
PT,

Looks great.  Really battle ready now :).  You painted everything while it was still ON the bike?  good job.  Maybe a nice winter project for my scoot as the chrome sucks on my wheels.
2008 Triumph Speed Triple Black and NASTY
1976 CB550F Cafe in progress
http://christopherliston.com
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2402

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2006, 05:38:36 pm »
Hey- how come you couldn't have the side panels rhino-coated?  Is it some sort of high-heat process that the side panels couldn't hold up to?  

I wonder if it would be difficult to have metal side covers made, and have them rhino coated to match your tank?  Now that would be cool!
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2006, 05:48:15 pm »
Hey- how come you couldn't have the side panels rhino-coated?  Is it some sort of high-heat process that the side panels couldn't hold up to? 
You cant Line-X plastic, because of the heat it is applied at. I am gonna bring my guy the sidecovers on the bike and have him spray them anyways, and see how they turn out. If they get messed up , I will just buy new ones (as they are some cheap repros anyways) I was thinking about just running the left cover, and then having the oil tank (on the right side) Line-X'ed and keep it exposed (without a cover over it)..Might add to the industrial look I have going with the bike. Need to have a few Crown Royal & Cokes and think it over tonite... ;D

Looks great. Really battle ready now :). You painted everything while it was still ON the bike?
Yes sir. Everything was painted ON the bike. I went thru two rolls of tape masking everything off. I took me about 2 hours to mask off  both front and rear wheels , and then about 3 hours to get it all off ! But, for the effort I put into it , it came out killer. Just allot of sanding, taping, lots of light coats of primer, and loads of the engine enamel (two cans all together)
Gotta love Dupli-Color Low gloss engine enamel  ;D

That bike looks BAAAAAAAAD@aaaaa$$sssss!!!!!!!!!
Thanks buddy , all the positive comments are very much appreciated  ;D
Now that the wheels are done, I can focus on the front-end / dash / smooth triple-tree project..
Still need to get my Triumph headlight bucket Line-X'ed as well...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:51:42 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline Jeff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2006, 07:49:33 pm »
Looking good man... The only thing I don't like about it is the exhaust. I have a Mac on my 550 and it's a POS. Even just chopping off the canister, make it a shorty... like on Sparty's bike, for example.

It just is missing something, like there's just a bit too much black going on. Maybe if you can get a chrome strip for the bottom of the tank... I dunno.

I do like it though, and the latest work on the wheels and forks look great. I especially like the forks. I'm surprised you didn't get black springs on the back.

Jeff

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2006, 07:58:18 pm »
Hey Proteal,

You might have covered this already, is the Diamond Cut light mounted in the Triumph Headlight bucket or in a CB750.  I was looking through their site, and was partial to the blue dot or the black dot headlight on my cafe.

What's your thought?

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

AR-Guy

« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2006, 08:54:24 pm »
Porteal, those wheels came out fantastic. I dig em.

Buck

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2006, 07:07:03 am »
Porteal, those wheels came out fantastic. I dig em.
Thanks buddy.
It took allot of time to paint them ON the bike, and would highly reccomend doing it with them off ,and in pieces...

You might have covered this already, is the Diamond Cut light mounted in the Triumph Headlight bucket or in a CB750. I was looking through their site, and was partial to the blue dot or the black dot headlight on my cafe.
What's your thought?
As of now , the Diamond cut headlight is mounted in the factory era correct Honda headlight bucket.
Alittle modification here and their was needed to make it fit, but it wasnt rocket science (you can figure it out once you get into it). The triumph headlight bucket should be the same drill (as far as mounting), but i havent got that far yet. I can't tell you which headlight to get for you scoot, but s far as my opinion goes, I am not a fan ofthe blue dot centered lights (but thats just me)..

Looking good man... The only thing I don't like about it is the exhaust. I have a Mac on my 550 and it's a POS. Even just chopping off the canister, make it a shorty... like on Sparty's bike, for example.
As I said before, the exhaust is next on the chopping block.
Before I put the bike away I actually removed the entire back part/cannon of the exhaust and ran the bike around the block. It did sound badass being just a open collector, but I like how it sounds with the cannon better. I am planning on bringing the "cannon" closer to the front of the bike, to tighten the system alittle. I am also gonna angle it up alittle, a.l.a a newer sportbike. This will come in the spring..
I'm surprised you didn't get black springs on the back.
I am gonna do something with the shocks - just need to think exactly what.
And I am def. done with black on the bike , as now I need to add alittle more silver/alum. to get
the contast back which i had before the addition of the black wheels...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:11:55 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2006, 07:48:05 am »
* Project JUnK Progress Report - 12/15/06 *

It has been awhile since I updated this thread, so I thought it was due.
The CB450 build has been taking most of my time, but I have been doing allot of thinking/planning/buying for the CB750, as it is gonna get worked on once the CB450 is complete.

* Smooth Top Triple Tree *
The smooth top triple-tree is done and painted. That is gonna go on when I clean up the front-end on the 750. The stock dashboard/idiot light combo is going away, and I am gonna mount the Tach in it's place. Should fill up the space nicely. Plans call for the tach to be dis-assembled and L.E.D's are gonna be installed, then all put back together..I am also making the switch from black back to silver lower legs. I think the silver legs will break up all the black the bike has going on, and will contrast nicely (like the rear shocks do out back)..

* New Rear Sprocket / Chain / Etc.. *
I finally broke down and bought a new chain and a brand new 45 tooth sprocket for the scoot.The chain on this bike has needed to be replaced since I bought it, and I have chanced my luck long enough. The sprocket is getting replaced so I can gain alittle more top end, and at least try and keep up on the tollway.

* New Paint *
The Line-X is comming off this winter in place of a pro-shot gloss black paint-job.
Don't get me wrong, the Line-X is cool/different/industrial/etc, but I just feel it is all that people look at on this bike, and their are allot of cool/different things I have done for a tank to overshadow them. So the tank is getting de-line-x'ed, and then painted gloss black with a crap load of clear , along with the sidecovers and a new headlight bucket (still undecided on which one I am gonna go with). I feel the new paint will make the bike look more "classy" , and not such of a rat.

* Misc other stuff *
Basically besides the stuff above, the CB750 is just gonna get a complete once over from front to back, cleaning up and changing things as I go. Not that I did things 1/2 assed or anything, but last summer I spent about 90% riding, and 10% wrenching. Now with the winter , I have the time to really go over the bike and get it where I want it to be..Areas like wiring, the addition of turn signals and a horn, etc are all going to be addressed...

Happy holidays , and I will post some pics as progress gets made... ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:57:38 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline dagersh

• Expert
    • Photos
PT,

I am sure we are all looking forward to the next iteration!

Keep the pics coming.

Have a great (and bike busy) Holiday!

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 12/1
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2006, 08:07:34 am »
Sounds good Teal and as always looking forward to pics of your progress. I like the idea of changing the fork legs back to silver to complement the rear shocks.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: 1972 CB750 - A.K.A PROJECT "JuNK" PROGRESS/PICS/UPDATES--> Last Updated 12/1
« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2006, 07:12:38 am »
I don't know, man. I say keep the Line-X. I think it looks awesome like that.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
* Project Junk Update 1/8/07 *
[/size]

I have been busting my ass on the CB450 project to get it done, but the entire time have been thinking about what I need to get done on the CB750 before spring hits. Still unsure if the CB450 is gonna be put up for sale when done, as it all depends on how much I like riding it when it is complete..The 750 is still my main scoot for the time being...
The new tank for the CB750 has been allocated and since the pic below has been sanded and is ready for it's new gloss black paintjob.
After allot of research about Line-X, I came to the conclusion that I had to buy a new tank to paint, as that Line-X stuff is on that other tank 4 good. The new tank is in great shape, with no rust (inside or out), and will be a good fit. I am gonna have that, along with both sidecovers and the h.lite bucket painted gloss black from a local shop I have dealt with in the past for my cars. I feel the gloss paint will kinda "finish" off the project, and tie some things together. The Line-X is cool, but it made the tank the focal point of the bike, which I did not want..

Other things that need to be done to the 750 are to install the smooth top triple tree, ditch the tach for a clean, no gauges look, put turn signals back on the bike (rear only), install my silver/scotch-brited lower fork legs (to break up all the black), re-do some wiring, addition of a horn,etc.. Another main thing I need to do is fix/adjust/cut/mod the exhaust on that bike. I LOVE the sound of the MAC 4 into 1, but cant stand the look of it. Plans call for the cannon to be angled up a bit, and moved closer to the bike. I also have a new rear sprocket to install so I can play with the rocket boys on the toll-way  ;D

Once the 450 project gets finished, the CB750 will come home (at my aunts house sleeping at the moment with the 55), and it will get torn apart.

More updates to come...

Offline babyfood1217

• The only way to drink espresso is as a
  • Hot Shot
  • I miss my baby...
ProT-

So, It's been a while since I've been on here, and my comp. is kinda crappy, so I'm sorry if I missed this info in any of the previous posts, but...

When you swapped the original wheel for the HD one with the 130 rubber, were the replacement shocks you got (koni I think) the stock length, or did you get them shorter?  I want to do the HD 16" conversion, but would prefer to keep the stock shock length (i'm running undertail exhaust, and can use the extra clearance.)  I like the look of the smaller HD wheel on your bike, but can't tell if the shocks have been shortened.  thanks.

-Chris G.
I need help moving my project bike from Wisconsin to Seattle, WA.  Willing to pay well.  Contact if interested.

SOHC member: #438

Project: 1976 CB750K
GSXR forks, Monoshock Rear end, 836 in progress, RC51 pipes, custom frame and everything else.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
When you swapped the original wheel for the HD one with the 130 rubber, were the replacement shocks you got (koni I think) the stock length, or did you get them shorter?  I want to do the HD 16" conversion, but would prefer to keep the stock shock length (i'm running undertail exhaust, and can use the extra clearance.)  I like the look of the smaller HD wheel on your bike, but can't tell if the shocks have been shortened.  thanks.
The shocks on my CB750 are 11'' (stock is 13''), and I got them from http://HTTP://WWW.CRC2ONLINECATALOG.COM for about $70 ( I think they went up allitle since then).
I had them on the bike BEFORE I made the switch from the stock 18'' wheel to the current 16'' deal-e-o. With the addition of the 130 rear tire, I basically made up the same diameter that the bike had with the stock 18'' wheel (maybe alittle lower - but nothing crazy). I wanted more rubber than rim, thus the switch. If I could do it all over again I would leave the stock 18" out back, or maybe even put a 19'' back there, as I dig the flat tracker / big wheel look now...

If u are looking for clearance, the way to do it would be to keep the stock length shocks, and do the 16'' rim with a low profile tire. That would give you all the room you need for whatever you have cooking out back..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:19:11 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
* PROJECT "JuNK" UPDATE 5/5/07 *

Had some time today to myself, so I figured I would rip into the ol' CB750 and do the changes I have been wanting to do all winter. The CB450 is down at the post office awaiting me to clean back up the wiring and so on, so I figured the CB750 deserved some attention...

1. The line-X tank has been sold, and the new tank is about to go on. (see pic #1) After much debate, and dealing with bondo (i HATE that stuff), I am going to run the factory emblems on this tank. It allready says "HONDA" on the back of my seat so why not have it say it on the sides of my tank ?  ;D Going with a semi-gloss rattle can job this time around. New sidecovers are on the way as well which will get painted when I receive them (my old one's are shot). I am also gonna go over the whole bike cleaning things up and what not to make it alittle nicer than it currently is (it's the small things)..

2. Smooth top triple tree is done, painted, and awaiting to go on the bike. (see pic#2) I wanna give the ceramic paint I used a few days to dry before I go and mess it up. I also cleaned up allot of the wiring in the headlite bucket, and moved my Neutral lite to a small LED I flush mounted in the bucket. So basically my front-end is gonna look like my CB450's (nice and clean)...

3. I had a moment of clarity in my garage today and took the sawzall to my MAC 4 into 1's cannon. (see pic #3 & #4) I have HATED that thing since I pulled it outta the box the first day I bought it. So for now I am running the extension piece (as u can see below). I need to get the bike finished and out in the sun to see if I like how it looks (not really sure). I think I might have my chassis shop buddy make me a 90 bend outta 4'' oval pipe and kinda go with a "nascar" type exit under the bike or something along those lines. We shall see. I am curious to hear how it sounds now without the cannon...

More updates to come as paint dries and the bike gets re-assembled...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 02:20:42 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline Rsnip988

• Expert
That looks really sharp! What emblems are you going to put on?
Now If I told ya it would ruin the suprise wouldn't it ?
 ;D

Almost forgot.
Made myself a "custom" dipstick/oil tank cap cover the other day.
Fit perfectly... ;)

How did you go about making this, is it just painted on or what?

Rks
R.K.S.

1976 CB750 K6 Full

1976 CB750 K6 Cafe'ish

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Re: PROJECT "JUnK" PROGRESS/PICS->LAST UPDATED 8/23/06 --> NEW / CURRENT PICS..
« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2014, 02:41:11 pm »
That looks really sharp! What emblems are you going to put on?
Now If I told ya it would ruin the suprise wouldn't it ?
 ;D

Almost forgot.
Made myself a "custom" dipstick/oil tank cap cover the other day.
Fit perfectly... ;)

How did you go about making this, is it just painted on or what?

Rks

It's a honda emblem riveted to the stock dipstick cap.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
Been awhile since I have been on here.
My last post on this topic thread was in 2007 !

Soon after I painted the bikes tank gloss black the bike was sold to a dude in NYC.
Never heard a peep outta him so no clue if he still has it or not. I bought a Ducati Monster S2R1000
in its place (pic below), kept that for a few years, then sold that off for a 1998 HD Road King. That was around for
a few years and got replaced with a 2012 version of the same (Road King) which I still currently have (pic below).
In the process of doing a 1973 CB125 (pic below) as a art piece for my house. Build log to come.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:01:17 pm by ProTeal55 »