Author Topic: CB400F Wiring Diagram Help Needed  (Read 3097 times)

Offline dougandarthur

CB400F Wiring Diagram Help Needed
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:50 am »
What, and where on the bike, is the part I have circled on the attached diagram? It is part of the wiring for the tail light circuit. It appears that the wire color changes from Brown/Blue to Black at that location. I think I found the connectors at each end of that part of the circuit. If so, they are located in the big bundle of connectors under the fuel tank on the left side. On my bike the PO installed a short jumper wire there. Hope someone knows...I can guess:)
The older I get, the faster I was.

Offline dougandarthur

Re: CB400F Wiring Diagram Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:42 am »
I looked at an old harness I had, and found the same jumper wire. Here are the two. Just two wires soldered together. I have never seen work like this by Honda, but now I think it might be. Please check yours and let me know what you find. I guess it makes sense that there would not be a label on the part (on the schematic) if it is just a solder connection.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »
That jumper wire is in the conglomeration of wires at the steering head where the harness and handlebar wires attach...Larry

Offline dougandarthur

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:00:02 am »
Thanks Larry. That's where I found it. I just wanted to make sure it was supposed to be like that. From your response, now I now know that it is. I appreciate the help!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:33:37 am »
I have seen "original" 400F switchpods that had this jumper inserted in the sleeve tubing over the switchpod wires. It wasn't attached and would pull out of the sleeve rather easily, and replacement switchpod assemblies did not have the jumper. I have seen many home-made jumpers that looked worse than what you show. Possibly Honda used short jumpers as well if they didn't have the pods with the jumper? I've seen some like yours and assumed they were homebrew.
The jumper is there to replace the lighting on/off switch that was removed for North American models when always-on headlight laws came in around 1974.

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »
Exhuming this thread for a moment just to make note or possibly confirm something. I am installing a replacement Honda wiring harness on my bike and the wire in the bundle in the headlight is solid brown, not brown/blue. I checked the other end of the wire where it came out beneath the tank and it's got a blue stripe screened on the plastic shroud, but the wire itself is solid brown, so I am pretty confident I got the right wire. Just a datapoint, but if someone is reading this and knows I'm incorrect, please speak up.

N.
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:42:30 pm »
I find this diagram useful:

Trevor
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline NobleHops

• Don ya be callin' me no
  • Expert
  • Misfit - Tucson, Arizona
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:03 pm »
Cheers Trevor, that's great to have, easier to read.

N.
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA

I have a motorcycle problem.

My build thread: NobleHops makes a 400F pretty for his wife: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.0